Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jamarquan

Bauer NeuroShield

Anyone else have any more info on this? http://neuroshield.ca/

Website says it's a collar that is supposed to help reduce brain movement within the skull during play. 

Hopefully it works and helps keep more people playing the game, and playing for longer.

1 hour ago, nutters said:

Here's an article from TSN 2 years ago about it. Talked about potential flaws, so I wonder how they've addressed it.

http://www.tsn.ca/new-collar-technology-aims-to-curb-concussions-1.396911

Wonder how much it's advanced, and the cost when it hits US retail. I'm sure it'll be in top end stick territory.

I remember this being discussed when the TSN story came out. Can't remember which thread. In theory it makes sense to attack the concussion issue in similar ways to this. It doesn't matter how high tech your helmet is, if you hit something hard enough your brain is still going to slam into your skull.   interested to see where this goes. 

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

Wonder how much it's advanced, and the cost when it hits US retail. I'm sure it'll be in top end stick territory.

It was advertised in a Rousseau flyer I received, but no price. With the new RE-AKT 200 being $349.99 CAD (without a cage), I believe pricing the neuroshield at at almost the same price isn't going to happen. I think it'll be around $150-200.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Since it would be classified as a medical device, it will need FDA approval for sale in the US.

That's why it's for sale in Canada first.

When's the date for the US release? Canada was pushed back a bit.

13 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I remember this being discussed when the TSN story came out. Can't remember which thread. In theory it makes sense to attack the concussion issue in similar ways to this. It doesn't matter how high tech your helmet is, if you hit something hard enough your brain is still going to slam into your skull.   interested to see where this goes. 

Most concussions are due to a rotational force on the neck causing a rotational force on the brain, and not due to a direct impact on the head (a common misconception).  That's not to say direct impacts can't cause concussions, but in a sport like hockey it's more likely that it's a sudden torque that causes a concussion vs. a head on collision.  So with that said, extra fluid in the brain won't really do all that much since cushioning doesn't protect against rotational forces.  I'm sure as hell not paying $200 for something that gives 1% protection; I'd sooner find a way to rig a HANS to my helmet and shoulder pads than use Bauer's choker.

Never heard to this. Not sure if it will make any difference. I do know that if I had a kid(s) who was dealing with concussions, I'd have to check this out. Hearing some of the stories from parents who have kids dealing with concussions, spending a couple of $100 bills seems to be worth it. Hopefully, it isn't a gimmick. 

Is it also a certified neckguard? All levels of minor hockey in Canada require the use of a neck guard - I would think trying to wear both is going to be a problem. I figured this would be the first question under the FAQ but it's not. According to the 'How to wear' section, laceration guards are supposed to be worn over top. Neck guards are uncomfortable at the best of times, let along being worn over top of something like this.

I don't think there's a chance in hell this product sells unless it's proven to be a definitive concussion prevention device. What was Bauer thinking?

1 hour ago, colins said:

Is it also a certified neckguard? All levels of minor hockey in Canada require the use of a neck guard - I would think trying to wear both is going to be a problem. I figured this would be the first question under the FAQ but it's not. According to the 'How to wear' section, laceration guards are supposed to be worn over top. Neck guards are uncomfortable at the best of times, let along being worn over top of something like this.

I don't think there's a chance in hell this product sells unless it's proven to be a definitive concussion prevention device. What was Bauer thinking?

That if it works, they make a lot of money. And if it doesn't, they make a lot of money.

4 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Most concussions are due to a rotational force on the neck causing a rotational force on the brain, and not due to a direct impact on the head (a common misconception).  That's not to say direct impacts can't cause concussions, but in a sport like hockey it's more likely that it's a sudden torque that causes a concussion vs. a head on collision.  So with that said, extra fluid in the brain won't really do all that much since cushioning doesn't protect against rotational forces.  I'm sure as hell not paying $200 for something that gives 1% protection; I'd sooner find a way to rig a HANS to my helmet and shoulder pads than use Bauer's choker.

HANS?

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

HANS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

Prevents both compression/whiplash injuries as well as rotation-related injuries. That little thing you see sticking out of the back of NFLer's jerseys that's part of their shoulder pads is designed similarly to this (preventing the whiplash extension/compression motion when experiencing direct head impact.) But not all the players wear one.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Football-Neck-Collar.jpg

A more exaggerated example:

21neckroll-pic1-jumbo.jpg

Edited by GoalForFun

1 hour ago, GoalForFun said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

Prevents both compression/whiplash injuries as well as rotation-related injuries. That little thing you see sticking out of the back of NFLer's jerseys that's part of their shoulder pads is designed similarly to this (preventing the whiplash extension/compression motion when experiencing direct head impact.) But not all the players wear one.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Football-Neck-Collar.jpg

A more exaggerated example:

21neckroll-pic1-jumbo.jpg

Ah. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

If concept of this thing supposedly works then it will work for direct or rotational impacts.   The idea is that by slightly increasing the fluid pressure in the cranium you can decrease the amount of movement of the brain within the skull, regardless of the angle of impact. If increased fluid causes the brain to move less within the skull then it will move less with a direct impact and it will move less with a rotational impact.  Just like if you were able to inject foam into the empty space of someone's skull that would prevent the skull from moving, regardless of direction. 

I have no idea if this thing works or not.  I hope it does, but I'm skeptical.  The reality is that no helmet, ever, is going to prevent concussions because no helmet is going to directly decrease the amount of movement of the brain within the skull.  Given that fact, companies have to look to other methods to help prevent concussions.  So this is one of those other ideas.  We'll see if it works.  

Edited by shooter27

On 9/17/2017 at 6:26 PM, nutters said:

Seeing as the original 4 years of research was Goverment funded so there was no cost for R-D and the last years all they did was tweak it. I would also assume they would have had some funding as it is a product that could save lives if the functions work as they should. I was exposed to this about 3 years ago just before the purchase by Bauer so I am assuming once it was sold my confidentiality agreement is now nul and void.  The original sale price for this item was to be between 29 and 49.99. Being that it costs roughly 12.00 to make. Of course they spent a ton getting to wear they are now. The idea being if less kids had concussions the growth of the great sport would continue. That seemed like a very plausible idea and great for the sport. Even if it creeped to 79.99 I still think that would have been a great tool. But at 199.99 all I can do is Face Palm. This is so ridiculous and outrageous. So much for growing the game safely. The whole new thing were Bauer gives out free gear in my mind is a joke now. Give these away charge 400 for sticks and 1200 for skates but give these to any kid who wants them!!!!  Arghhhhhhh Sorry for the rant. but when you know the facts and they are putting out some BS needs to be said. PS any lawyers out there if I am wrong about the Confidentiality agreement let me know. I will remove this. 

• Like 2

I'm not a lawyer, but I have worked my entire career in M&A so I've read thousands of confi's and it is likely yours survived the Bauer purchase.  If you still have it, give it a read or have a lawyer give it a read.  That being said, 3 years would be a long time for a confi to survive.  Even if it is still in effect, confi's are notorousily hard to enforce (at least here in the US), so I wouldn't be too overly concerned. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you have it lying around somewhere.  

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Seeing as the original 4 years of research was Goverment funded so there was no cost for R-D and the last years all they did was tweak it. I would also assume they would have had some funding as it is a product that could save lives if the functions work as they should. I was exposed to this about 3 years ago just before the purchase by Bauer so I am assuming once it was sold my confidentiality agreement is now nul and void.  The original sale price for this item was to be between 29 and 49.99. Being that it costs roughly 12.00 to make. Of course they spent a ton getting to wear they are now. The idea being if less kids had concussions the growth of the great sport would continue. That seemed like a very plausible idea and great for the sport. Even if it creeped to 79.99 I still think that would have been a great tool. But at 199.99 all I can do is Face Palm. This is so ridiculous and outrageous. So much for growing the game safely. The whole new thing were Bauer gives out free gear in my mind is a joke now. Give these away charge 400 for sticks and 1200 for skates but give these to any kid who wants them!!!!  Arghhhhhhh Sorry for the rant. but when you know the facts and they are putting out some BS needs to be said. PS any lawyers out there if I am wrong about the Confidentiality agreement let me know. I will remove this. 

I agree with the price being way too high. This is a new and unknown product and it's being priced (could be the retailers doing, partially ), where the vast majority won't give it a sniff.  Even, are we likely to ever see a pro wear it? Considering they don't wear neck guards already it's hard to see them go for this especially a non-Bauer player.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, colins said:

They were thinking that spooked parents who are dumb enough to buy $300 helmets will buy anything they preceive will help. 

Reality is neck strengthening exercises would do a lot more than this thing

On 9/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, Jgscenter said:

They were thinking that spooked parents who are dumb enough to buy $300 helmets will buy anything they preceive will help. 

Reality is neck strengthening exercises would do a lot more than this thing

Im not saying the product doesn't work I actually saw the original data from the original testing it was very very good. I think they should have talked about all along so people could see what was being worked on. Bring it out at a very low cost make little to no money on it and if it saved just one at risk person you know they would buy a 10000 stick! I honestly think this will be a breakthrough product. BUT it needs to be at a reasonable cost! Grow the game don't make it even father out of reach!