Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penalty box hero

Death sentence for my stick?

Noob with a question here - I blocked a nasty slap shot with my stick the other night, and now there's a small crack in the shaft of my stick where the puck hit.it.  Kinda hard to see in the pics but it looks like a "zipper" seam, as if it split along the lines of the carbon fiber wrap.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/multi-useless/media/image_zps3nlsj7gm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Is this the beginning of the end for this stick?  Or is it just cosmetic? 

The first minute that a stick touches the ice is "the beginning of the end" of the stick. Don't worry about it and just use it until it inevitably breaks. 

22 minutes ago, chikinpotpie said:

The first minute that a stick touches the ice is "the beginning of the end" of the stick. Don't worry about it and just use it until it inevitably breaks. 

LOL, that is true.  But I figured I should dedicate it to stick and puck sessions if it's about to snap, rather than miss an opportunity bc of a broken stick in one of my beer league games.  I'm too old and slow to be blowing chances ;)

2 hours ago, penalty box hero said:

LOL, that is true.  But I figured I should dedicate it to stick and puck sessions if it's about to snap, rather than miss an opportunity bc of a broken stick in one of my beer league games.  I'm too old and slow to be blowing chances ;)

I can't tell which side the damage is but you have a couple of things in your favour: 1: The edges of the stick don't look damaged 2: The damage runs down the shaft instead of side to side. It's definitely broken but, imho, its got a few games yet left in it and it will get worse before it breaks. You could always look at a simple repair, google carbon fishing rod repair kits and wrap the carbon around it, this will help a lot.

I have never had an issue with a shaft like you seem to be having. All chips and dings that I have absorbed have been on the blade. I just put some Araldite into the crevices, and it seems to reinforce the blade. Not sure if that will work for you; and I would not advise anyone to put chemicals (like Araldite) onto their gear. Just saying, what has seemed to work for me. Emphasis on seemed because I am not sure if the substance has actually helped, or if the cracks and chips that I have been identifying are inconsequential to begin with. Either way, just saying, I am liberal in my application, with this stuff. 

It's hard to say. It will depend on usage and where on the shaft the crack is. If it's below your bottom hand (likely) then I've found that worse than if a crack develops between your two hands. I have a stick right now that has a crack in between my two hands, and it's been like that for 18 months, no problems. OTOH your stick might break with the next slapshot. 

Keep using it, but, have a backup.

Thanks all for the feedback - crack is back side of the shaft, well below my bottom hand - but regardless, sounds like it's still impossible to say when it will snap (which I believe is the general rule of thumb for all 1-pc composites) so I picked up a new stick to replace it.  (And a few cheap beaters to use as backups or for when I feel like using something different.  Preventive repairs also sound good, since the crack didn't seem to affect performance.

Thanks also for tolerating the noob question - I experimented with 1-pc composites but stuck with the 2-pc shafts and wood blades I was used to when I got back into the game last year, and just finally committed to making the switch this fall when I started playing regularly again.

On 10/17/2017 at 7:26 PM, penalty box hero said:

that's true. you never know what scouts could be in the stands.