Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playmakersedge

Very upset with hockey monkey

Lol, there is no "Canadian shoe size" or any other formal recognized shoe sizing for that matter, there is only a size the manufacturer determines to be closest to the retail market they are making the shoe for. This is why EVERY bit of footwear made comes with subtle variations in length, width, volume etc. It's one of the things that bugs me about shoes, boots etc.

Went to the local box store.  They had no skates I could put on . They did have Bauer measuring scale and I measured 11EE .  They didn't have a CCM measuring scale.  They had all the 7.5 to 9.5 skates I wanted.  The same situation I have always have had being all the way around way larger then the norm. 

36 minutes ago, Stewie said:

I think the real reason the skate size is different is mostly just based on how you want the particular items to fit, since the size is based on the length of the last. a running shoe, you want your foot to splay out and some room in the toe box, if your feathering, you will be uncomfortable and likely getting some chafing from the wear. A hockey skate, you want to feather, you want an anchored in performance fit.

Yup for sure. Same reason my dress shoes are half a size smaller. But “Canadian sizes” aren’t actually a thing.

11 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Went to the local box store.  They had no skates I could put on . They did have Bauer measuring scale and I measured 11EE .  They didn't have a CCM measuring scale.  They had all the 7.5 to 9.5 skates I wanted.  The same situation I have always have had being all the way around way larger then the norm. 

Have them order some in your size to try on.

Just now, GoalForFun said:

Am I the only one who can't understand what OP is trying to say?

I assumed English wasn’t their first language. That can definitely makes things more difficult!

27 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Have them order some in your size to try on.

Yes . He said Bauer is now making skates in runs and he expects large sizes in February. I asked him to check other store inventory . Looks like a nexus d or e in an 11  so I am going to stick with the bauers I know they work.  Or if I can find my same skates on line used I will get those. 

3 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Going to the closest thing close to a lhs : big box store . From what I'm hearing each model in each brand has a different sizing.  And each brand has different sizing.    

So it sounds like much of what I get advised on is subject to the knowledge of the person i am speaking to .  

Correct me if I don't have this right:  they are going to measure my foot it the metal thing standard for shoe fitting, then use that to make a determination of what skates to have me try ? 

Or does each brand and models with in that brand have it's own measuring scale  ?

This deal with a size not really being a size I don't understand how or why this is ?    

I mean if I need a 1/4" drill bit I buy one it's a 1/4"  I don't have to think oh craftsman I have to buy 3/16 drill because that's a 1/4" in there sizing.     A size is a size is the way it should be .  

Ok this is probably the cause of a lot of your frustration. A size is not a size. Different manufacturers use different lasts (forms to size skates) and even these can vary between different lines (Vapor, Nexus, Supreme, or Jetspeed, RBZ, Tacks, etc). 

The other major factor is this - a 1/4" drill bit measures a single measurement. A foot, for a properly fitting skate, has at least 5 important measurements for that skate fit to be considered "good."  11.5EE is only two, length and width. Width should even be broken down further into widths in the toe box, mid sole, and heel. Beyond that there's length (nominally "size") and also a depth measurement - how deep is your foot in the skate (the pencil test).

So that's my 5 basic measurements that I look for in a skate when I buy it. Beyond that there's ankle fit and arch (I have low arches), although arch can easily be adjusted with different insoles.

I get that you thought you were just buying a skate and not committing to a relationship, but for a skate to fit properly that's what you're dealing with. I do think online retailers should handle sizing very differently, and also disclaim more prominently that you skate it, you buy it. I also think they would benefit from some sort of skate fit expert that, you could at the very least, takes some basic measurements of your foot or email them pics, and they would recommend a skate to you. That should have gotten you into a functional skate.

Moral of the story though, buy skates locally unless you know exactly what you want. Even then, I have found that the exact same skate in the same size, can feel differently between models. I always buy helmets and skates locally so I can fit them, unless I know exactly what I want.

We will do whatever we can to help, but for the best fit go to a hockey store. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

well, they are wrong. IPV has lived in both countries and doesn't even know what a Canadian shoe size is.

Not exactly true - here is a conversion chart

US Canada
8 8, eh?
8.5 8.5, eh?
9 9, eh?

4 hours ago, sheffy92 said:

I just read this whole post and now mind you I have plenty of things I want to say to you but I won't... you literally need to go to a HOCKEY STORE and TRY ON skates. The staff at the store will measure your foot or hell even get your foot scanned by the Bauer 3D scanner if the store has one. I seriously hope you don't buy any skates online again as you have no clue what skates work for you and YOU STILL DON"T KNOW YOUR OWN 

Try copy paste the post from here into google-translate as English, then translate it to Mongolian, then translate the result  from Mangoilan back to English. Read the result and see how long you can keep a straight face. This wont' help with skates fitting, but I am pretty positive, you will not be mad with HockeyMonkey for at least a couple of minutes, maybe longer.

As for skates, it looks like you are on the right track now. Sorry to hear that the lesson was this expensive.

1 hour ago, Playmakersedge said:

Any tech folks out there?  Imagine a skate fitting app for the phone ? That would be killer .

Like what Bauer is doing?

2 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Yes . He said Bauer is now making skates in runs and he expects large sizes in February. I asked him to check other store inventory . Looks like a nexus d or e in an 11  so I am going to stick with the bauers I know they work.  Or if I can find my same skates on line used I will get those. 

You cannot possibly be serious. 

delete this thread.

Delete:  how? Yes I'm serious 

You can’t. I’d be more inclined to just lock it if that’s your wish than to actually delete it. I think this thread contains some important lessons ;)

Delete:  how? Yes I'm serious 

There is none: the mods have to do it.

Otherwise I would have deleted a few of my stick threads haha.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:45 PM, IPv6Freely said:

You can’t. I’d be more inclined to just lock it if that’s your wish than to actually delete it. I think this thread contains some important lessons ;)

Yes important lessons learned.   I ended up with the top shelf rbz with the shinny stainless runner.  Where these a $650 dollar skate ? I got them for $150 shipped and came with a good sharpening job . Used them today at a public session with out baking them . I love them .  

3 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Yes important lessons learned.   I ended up with the top shelf rbz with the shinny stainless runner.  Where these a $650 dollar skate ? I got them for $150 shipped and came with a good sharpening job . Used them today at a public session with out baking them . I love them .  

Cool, now make sure you bake them. Modern skates are designed to be baked. 

Did you try stuff on in a store or what? How did the Bauer models feel? What pushed you to RBZ?

On 11/14/2017 at 7:30 PM, Playmakersedge said:

Going to the closest thing close to a lhs : big box store . From what I'm hearing each model in each brand has a different sizing.  And each brand has different sizing.    

So it sounds like much of what I get advised on is subject to the knowledge of the person i am speaking to .  

Correct me if I don't have this right:  they are going to measure my foot it the metal thing standard for shoe fitting, then use that to make a determination of what skates to have me try ? 

Or does each brand and models with in that brand have it's own measuring scale  ?

This deal with a size not really being a size I don't understand how or why this is ?    

I mean if I need a 1/4" drill bit I buy one it's a 1/4"  I don't have to think oh craftsman I have to buy 3/16 drill because that's a 1/4" in there sizing.     A size is a size is the way it should be .  

Bruv... this is the same with all shoes, jeans, and apparel. You're 50 and just learning this with hockey skates?

• I have EU 44 2/3 (yeah 2/3 sizing) Adidas high tops which fit like US size 10. Other shoes I'll buy EU 43. Sometimes I fit US 10, others 10.5 or 11.
  • If you ever tried on some polo's @ Hollister... a guy who usually fits M or L needs XL in their sizing. Hold up any 2 Old Navy TShirts and they're usually slightly different sizes.
  • Even the same model and size jeans can fit different.
  • Bauer Vapor, Supreme, & Nexus indeed fit a lot different.

ProTip: Try stuff on.

ProTip: Always consider the source of advise.

ProTip: Check the return policy when online shopping (don't trust to "customer service"). It's you who'll be stuck with shipping charges, wasted time, or gear that doesn't fit and can't even be returned.

Best of luck finding some skates big man.