Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playmakersedge

Hockey sticks

Sticks seam to have done a lot of changing.  Any recommendations ? I'm very tall ,bulky, and I want to get my puck handling back and also want to be able to dial the shot back when I am shooting at a young goal tender . I'm not going to play in games.

Best value would be any current year models priced at $99.  $149-199 can usually get you a top end stick from previous seasons but selection might be slim.

Thank you . The flex and the kick  ?  

In my day we looked at the ly* and flex was a feel you pushed with the  lower hand to feel from a store ..... I can't remember the brand I used to love . I remember it was made in Finland and  said 46 (?) Multilam  . From a dozen sticks you find half to less then half sticks that felt just right .  Koho made a hollow composit stick that was elliptical shape stick ,it had decent action ,however it twisted in the hands .....So much has changed   

Yeah, sticks have changed a ton. What's your budget like? Do you have any personal preferences? What hand do you shoot?

As mentioned you can find pretty good deals in the clearance sections for older model sticks. With sticks, so much depends on personal preference. I'd recommend you go to a store and get a feel of a real stick before you buy anything. Like skate sizing, flex on sticks is a tricky thing. A 100flex on a Bauer feels different than a 100flex in Warrior. Also, since you're so tall, most likely you'll have to add a plug to most sticks you buy. 

With that said, here are a few recommendations at around the $150ish. If you want to spend less, the sticks I mention have lower price point versions that are on clearance too.

Bauer 1N, last seasons top of the line NEXUS model. It's a mid-kick, and is a solid all around stick. 

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance/clearance-hockey-sticks/clearance-hockey-sticks-sr/bauer-hockey-stick-nexus-1n-sr.html

Bauer 1S, last season's top of the line Supreme model. It's mid-high-kick, and is designed for power shooters. But since you're a bigger guy, you might like this better because the blade won't open up as much as other sticks.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_1S_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr_2016_/descpage-B1SGS.html

Warrior Qr1 Only available in left. Low kick, for quick releases. Tends to be a whippier feeling stick

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance/clearance-hockey-sticks/clearance-hockey-sticks-sr/warrior-hockey-stick-covert-qr1-grip-sr.html

Hopefully, this will be enough to get you started in your search. As others have mentioned, you could also check out the pro-stock sticks available at the various stores. They might be better suited for a person of your size. BUT they don't come with warranties, so if you break it on your first shot, you won't be able to get it replaced like you would with a normal retail stick.  

On 11/14/2017 at 9:57 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

A Pro overrun stick would be a value buy, an you could find some longer than typical retail

^^^ this is good.  Also, Warrior makes "pro" versions that are longer than the regular ones, I assume others do too?

I would almost recommend a 2-piece shaft, as the blades and wood butt ends are both interchangeable, so you could experiment with different blades on the cheap, and buy an extra-long handle for it if necessary...  They're going the way of the dinosaurs, but there are still enough out there to help you find what you like.

As for flex, there's a couple of factors.

First is the flex rating, since you're tall and heavy you should probably be in the 100+ flex range. As pointed out, different manufacturers rate flex slightly differently - Bauer seems to play a little stiffer than others. YMMV here.

Then there's the kick point, with two main options, mid kick and low kick. Mid kick means the stick is designed to flex  just under your bottom hand. Takes a little bit longer to load, but generally yields a heavier shot. Low kick sticks flex point is closer to the blade, which means they load much quicker and release quicker, and have a little more zip them. There are also hybrid sticks which are supposed to flex differently depending on how you shoot, but my experience is they just feel like mid-kick sticks.

A two piece stick is a good suggestion, the only downside being that replacement blades are getting harder and harder to come by these days, especially if you shoot right. Personally if I wanted to try a new curve I'd buy a low end stick with that curve. They cost only a little bit more than a blade alone and then you have a whole other stick for shooting practice/street hockey/whatever.

A lot of this is preference, probably more than we want to admit. Sticks these days are all awesome unless you're 60pluswinger and you need a new one every 3 weeks.

Given the information provided... look for a Bauer NEXUS 1N or N9000 on sale with the pattern and flex you like. Example: Heaps of N9000 on sale at sportchek.ca 77, 87, 102, 112 flex in many patterns for $99 CAD.

Can you go to an actual store and fiddle with some sticks there? You should find one that feels right, then perhaps ask here about it, in case if it has some known problems.

4 hours ago, StinkyPinky said:

Given the information provided... look for a Bauer NEXUS 1N or N9000 on sale with the pattern and flex you like. Example: Heaps of N9000 on sale at sportchek.ca 77, 87, 102, 112 flex in many patterns for $99 CAD.

Those are both incredible sticks at that price point.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Playmakersedge said:

Thank you . The flex and the kick  ?  

..... I can't remember the brand I used to love . I remember it was made in Finland and  said 46 (?) Multilam  .  

I think the multilam was Torspo.  There weren't that many Finnish made sticks, just Koho,Titan, Torspo.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:57 PM, DRR said:

Those are both incredible sticks at that price point.

I KNOW! 1 Euro gets me $1.50 CAD. It means 65 Euros for a N9000.

My father already picked up a $99 "Bauer Nexus N9000 Griptac Senior Hockey Stick - P14 102 Flex". I'll go to Canada for Christmas then fly home with ~3 sticks. Probably bring a woody SHER-WOOD PMPX 9950 P77 and a Warrior with the W28 pattern. 'aught to get me thru 2018. :)

On 11/16/2017 at 3:45 PM, puckpilot said:

Yeah, sticks have changed a ton. What's your budget like? Do you have any personal preferences? What hand do you shoot?

As mentioned you can find pretty good deals in the clearance sections for older model sticks. With sticks, so much depends on personal preference. I'd recommend you go to a store and get a feel of a real stick before you buy anything. Like skate sizing, flex on sticks is a tricky thing. A 100flex on a Bauer feels different than a 100flex in Warrior. Also, since you're so tall, most likely you'll have to add a plug to most sticks you buy. 

With that said, here are a few recommendations at around the $150ish. If you want to spend less, the sticks I mention have lower price point versions that are on clearance too.

Bauer 1N, last seasons top of the line NEXUS model. It's a mid-kick, and is a solid all around stick. 

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance/clearance-hockey-sticks/clearance-hockey-sticks-sr/bauer-hockey-stick-nexus-1n-sr.html

Bauer 1S, last season's top of the line Supreme model. It's mid-high-kick, and is designed for power shooters. But since you're a bigger guy, you might like this better because the blade won't open up as much as other sticks.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_1S_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr_2016_/descpage-B1SGS.html

Warrior Qr1 Only available in left. Low kick, for quick releases. Tends to be a whippier feeling stick

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance/clearance-hockey-sticks/clearance-hockey-sticks-sr/warrior-hockey-stick-covert-qr1-grip-sr.html

Hopefully, this will be enough to get you started in your search. As others have mentioned, you could also check out the pro-stock sticks available at the various stores. They might be better suited for a person of your size. BUT they don't come with warranties, so if you break it on your first shot, you won't be able to get it replaced like you would with a normal retail stick.  

Thank you Puck,     my preference  , I wish I could say at this point so much has changed for me . Bit of a story so it makes sense:  I worked as a auto tech starting @12 to pay for hockey expenses.  I got paid to play @16-17 , being a 6'8" 280lb center and moved the way I did ,I was going up to the league the following season or perhaps sooner .  Soon after the phone started ringing for offers , my left knee was purposely ruined  (kicked in sideways) by a family member.  So surgery  ,and rehabilitation.  I moved out of the house and started working at a Porsche dealer as a tech ,tried  to come back etc . So I worked as a master auto tech .  36 years in that business ruined my back  to date 7 surgeries....... Now the part that's relevant to your question.  The damage to the nerves is such that I can't feel my outer quads then at the knee I can't feel  down on a diagonal in to the foot. So I can only feel my heals . It took alot to will  this much feeling back. 

So shooting I can only do it off my outside edge on my right foot  (snap shot)  . So I can't transfer weight or twist due to titanium rods.  I have tried shooting off my left inside or outside edge ,but that gets to much weight toward the front of my skate  and that feels like it sinks into a cloud .    And I crash.   All the references I have always used are different now.   It's a hard pill to swallow.  So much has changed in the past 15 or So years, vocabulary etc .   So I'm trying to figure it all out. 

On 11/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, StinkyPinky said:

Although they are using the '17 N9000 picture, it seems these $99 N9000s are the previous model not the current N9000. The reason I say that is because the regular price of the old N9000 is $209.99, and the '17 N9000 is $224.99. The webpage shows the '17 N9000 picture, but says regular price $209.99 onsale for $99.

False advertising? Maybe not... seems like an innocent mistake, but its misleading for sure. Still not a bad deal, but I was hoping this was the current N9000 for $99. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's another crazy good online deal in Canada right now - $139.99 for a True A5.2 SBP from hockeysupremacy.com. 

3 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

So shooting I can only do it off my outside edge on my right foot  (snap shot)  . So I can't transfer weight or twist due to titanium rods.  I have tried shooting off my left inside or outside edge ,but that gets to much weight toward the front of my skate  and that feels like it sinks into a cloud .    And I crash.   All the references I have always used are different now.   It's a hard pill to swallow.  So much has changed in the past 15 or So years, vocabulary etc .   So I'm trying to figure it all out. 

IMHO, on of the best lines of sticks for easy loading and snap shots is the Warrior QRL line. The previous generation is the QR line and before that, I believe, the Covert line. I find I can cheat a lot more with my shots and just use all arms when I need to and still get a decent shot off. But then again, I don't have high standards for what I consider a decent shot. :p

If you get a chance check it out and see if it fits your needs. 

Thank you ,  all this advise is great.  It's sounding like I have at least a $100 to spend give or take  . Way back when we had aluminum sticks but there were no flex specs ,simple aluminum.  I used it as back up , made blades from broken sticks.. But I loved the Montreal's  . I never used a slapp shot always quick snap .     I just can't believe the change in these past 16 or So years.  

10 hours ago, colins said:

Although they are using the '17 N9000 picture, it seems these $99 N9000s are the previous model not the current N9000. The reason I say that is because the regular price of the old N9000 is $209.99, and the '17 N9000 is $224.99. The webpage shows the '17 N9000 picture, but says regular price $209.99 onsale for $99.

False advertising? Maybe not... seems like an innocent mistake, but its misleading for sure. Still not a bad deal, but I was hoping this was the current N9000 for $99. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's another crazy good online deal in Canada right now - $139.99 for a True A5.2 SBP from hockeysupremacy.com. 

I was worried about that too. Unfortunately my father picked it up and I'll only see it in 3 weeks.

That company has a history of questionable sales/advertising (e.g. putting stuff on sale from an inflated regular price). Forzani Group Ltd. paid $1.7-million to settle a case ~10 years ago.

HM has a Easton Synergy 60 100 flex with an E28 curve that would probably work for a big guy like yourself. $40.

That curve is a "new-school" toe curve good for stickhandling and snappers.

You can also pick up a Sher-Wood 9950 wood stick for $50. 63" and pretty stiff. 

You don't need a $100 stick especially if you aren't playing games. If the last thing you touched was laminated wood / fiberglass or an aluminum shaft 2-piece, the most lowly of modern one-piece composites is going to feel like it just got custom built for you at NASA. 

Sadly not true, those cheap one piece composites torque like hell when you load them up. For example I've had various Bauer SE's pass thru my hands and I literally cannot give them away to any player with a half decent wrist shot. A mid range stick would be a minimum but given height, size and experience he really needs to be looking at decent quality sticks. Monkey on clearance have Tacks Pro, N9000 and DT1 for $129, N8000, True 5.2, X900 and QR1 for $119. If the hand, flex and curve can be found these are the types of sticks he should be looking at.

Why my dream of establishing a hockey training facility, with a synthetic surface 1/3 regulation and also shooting lanes that a player has speed and video of the blade and shaft position evaluated. 

Sell skates and sticks  players get fit right. And get what feels right...

I have always played with a stick that was cut or came at the height of my clavicle at the sternum...... I never used my slapp shot, or wrist shot ,always just my snapp shot  . 

No  bs  I have shot from  one goal to the other and shattered a guys thy pad that was joking around playing goal from a shot that far.    It looks like I got to spend 100-150 on a stick  . The Montreal stick I loved.  I got a Sherwood 5030 that has been left outside, rained, snowed on . But I never liked it . Can't feel the puck threw the shaft . That certain feel  

I want verbero to set me up . If it' what I hope it is I will fit the kids up I work with .  I'm looking at some old buildings that I can set up a live work place.  Have room for the hockey and room for my metal sculpture and custom motorcycles.         I'm getting approached by parents to train there teens . Not just skating, but conditioning to shooting, strength etc.  I'm turning these people away because when I talk to there teen ,I'm looking for the fire ,the want ,the goose bumps when talking about the NHL. I'm turning away alot of money, but I can't push a player like I am going to , if the parents are already pushing them to be where they are .  

On 11/29/2017 at 10:18 AM, StinkyPinky said:

I was worried about that too. Unfortunately my father picked it up and I'll only see it in 3 weeks.

That company has a history of questionable sales/advertising (e.g. putting stuff on sale from an inflated regular price). Forzani Group Ltd. paid $1.7-million to settle a case ~10 years ago.

I received my N9000 for $99 today from sportcheck.ca. It is indeed the 2016 model, not the current one, which Sportcheck calls the N9000 Gen II.

That said, cut and taped, same length and same curve as a 2016 1N, the difference is 20g on my kitchen scale. 12K weave vs. 3K weave. Should be more durable than the 1N. Awesome stick for the price - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

colins