Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Steel length and holder size

I’ve decided to go the customer route and order a pair of VH skates. I’ve historically worn a 8ee supreme with the 272 steel. Last summer I opted for Blacksteel and it is was by far the best decision I made as far as replacement steel goes. As such, I want to keep in that steel moving forward 

As far as my VH skates go, I am opting to just get the boots and add edge holders. When I was last in my LHS I hopped on the Bauer scan machine and it put me in a size 7.5. That said, the steel and holder are then a 263 vs the 272 that I have skated forever.

my question is this, will I notice it going to a 263 from a 272 steel with a half size smaller boot and (assuming VH puts me in a 7.5) could I still use a 272 holder / steel? What are any potential drawbacks / benefits of one size over the other in terms of feel or performance?

I believe Bauer uses 272mm on 7.5EE skates and 263mm on 263mm skates. You should be able to use 272mm holders on your True/VH skates. 

Here are a couple discussions about using longer steel: