Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmonster

hockey girdle fit for women

I'm looking to buy a hockey girdle to replace my Takla pants and have some questions about fit.  I'm a woman, 5'10'' and approx 225 lbs (mostly in the hips/butt) and can't figure out what size girdle to get.  I'm looking at the Bauer Supreme S190 and the XL looks like it would be the best fit in terms of waist/hips, but are meant for people who are in the 6' and up range.  I've worn male hockey pants that were sized for 6'+ players and the location of the padding was all off.

How does the sizing on these girdles run?  Does the large run big enough that I could wear those and have a fit that better works with my height?  Do I get the same size shell as the girdle, or go up/down one?

Thanks!

Unless you're buying women's gear (women's pants aren't common but they exist) the padding is going to be in the wrong place, like you said. I experience this too as somebody who wears XL pants for the width but only needs M pants for my height. If you're hips/butt then you're probably okay in a large Bauer girdle. If you're belly like me, then it's not going to work for you. 

If CCM's girdle can go negative thigh lengths like Buzz said, then that's awesome. I'll have to check those out. Most girdles and pants seem to only be adjustable to make them LONGER, not shorter. 

For the shell... that's a tough one. Ideally you'd match sizes but if you're having to adjust the length then it may be worth sizing down on the shell. Other option is to buy same size shell and take it to a seamstress to shorten the hem. I did that with my Winterfest goalie shell since it was just a XXL pant shell, not specifically made for goalie pants. 

So the CCM Super Tacks girdle (youtube review by IW is here) allows for pretty decent length adjustment for -1", I haven't seen it in person yet.

With the Reebok/CCM 9k girdle (pro-stock only, not available on retail), which is the precursor to the Super Tacks, you can adjust the legs essentially to any position as it is easy to shorten the velcro loops. Same for the 8k girdle pant (pant with integrated girdle) and the Jofa 9800 / 7500, both of which are more museum pieces than anything else by now. With this kind of girdle you can also simply use a larger girdle, it will "hang over" the edge of the padding (unless you hem it) which doesn't get in the way of your stride.

To be honest, what I didn't like about the Super Tacks girdle is that when you did adjust for the negative length, the padding would bunch up there as you moved.

To the OP - my wife has similar dimensions and I put her in the Bauer Supreme HP girdle (it's a Pure Hockey SMU that is essentially the original TotalONE girdle.)  The top of the S190 (kidney/spine pads) are nylon and so, you only have the elastic to make adjustments; with the HP, the entire piece is lycra so it's more forgiving.  

She's able to wear a L and keep the length right due to that.  

Thanks so much, everyone!

I've tried women's hockey pants without much success; apparently there's too much junk in my trunk for all but the Taklas I'm currently using, but the extra bulk in the legs on those is really not great.

I'll see if my LHS can order in some of the options y'all suggested so I can try them out.  And thanks for the info about the Bauer HP, JR!

Yeah, unfortunately women's pants don't seem to fit the average woman.  

As far as the girdle shell is concerned, go same size.  I typically wear lowers from a 2-piece pant, and on that, I go down a size.