Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
sconnie

Tuuka Rask's pads/Vaughn NHL Licensing Fees

So I'm watching tonight's Canadiens-Bruins game and happened to notice that Tuuka Rask's pads have the Vaughn logo on them. I thought Vaughn wasn't paying the NHL licensing fee anymore so wouldn't that mean their logo can't appear anywhere?

Edited by sconnie

1 hour ago, sconnie said:

So I' watching tonight's Canadiens-Bruins game and happened to notice that Tuuka Rask's pads have the Vaughn logo on them. I thought Vaughn wasn't paying the NHL licensing fee anymore so wouldn't that mean their logo can't appear anywhere?

You’re incorrect.

3 hours ago, sconnie said:

Care to elaborate on that or just gonna drop that pearl of wisdom and leave?

What is there to elaborate on? It’s pretty black and white.

Why would Vaughn, who is the second largest equipment provider to NHL goalies, stop paying the licensing fee?  

However, they stopped paying the fee for IIHF years ago, meaning no WC/WJC goalies have Vaughn logos.  And with no NHL players this year, I'd expect they won't pay for that tournament either.

• Like 3

Note that both Woll and Parsons are wearing Vaughn pads with no logo in last year's Gold medal winning picture.

unspecified_medium.jpg

and in a sneaky move by Vaughn, you can see the ghost logos on the sides of Woll's pads from this year

901274262.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=all

Edited by psulion22

Thomas Greiss has logos on his Vaughns as well, too bad he can't make a save in them.

891960038.jpg.0.jpg

Edited by Jamarquan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think Vaughn pays the fee for pads but not sticks anymore hence you see many Vaughn goalies with Warrior sticks (I think Montreal makes them for both Co's).

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

I think Vaughn pays the fee for pads but not sticks anymore hence you see many Vaughn goalies with Warrior sticks (I think Montreal makes them for both Co's).

Same goes for helmets. That's why you don't see Vaughn on guys like Craig Anderson, Matt Murray and whoever else that use a Pro's Choice mask. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 2:16 PM, sconnie said:

Oh I was unaware they pay seperate fees for masks, pads, sticks, etc.

It is something like a $50K fee for every category of equipment, such as pads, helmet, stick, gloves, etc. John Brown, for example will not pay it, nor will Factory Mad; of course Factory does not badge his equipment with wordmarks, but you can see his stuff and a tell-tale graphic if you look closely. Mind that his last up and comer was Jeff Glass who recently switched to CCM. But Factory has appeared under the noses of the NHL on players like Tim Thomas, amongst others and was not assessed the $50K premium.

Vaughn was never a powerhouse for sticks and helmets, so it made no sense for them to pay $100K for badging those items. I don’t understand why they would not pay for IIHF exposure.