Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

Read the post that I posted (and you quoted) again.  I answered the question as posed.

The new holder/steel combination has been shown at the pro level over the past few months, and now they've finally started to seed players in it.  

I've seen how it works.

But it will not be on any of the 2018 retail skates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Read the post that I posted (and you quoted) again.  I answered the question as posed.

The new holder/steel combination has been shown at the pro level over the past few months, and now they've finally started to seed players in it.  

I've seen how it works.

But it will not be on any of the 2018 retail skates.

I know, just posted a pic of the new holder.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yeah - you spin the barrel about 10x and the blade unhooks.

It is serviceable as well, so if the barrel is broken from a shot, it can be replaced.

I feel like this makes a lot more sense

On 4/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

It is serviceable as well, so if the barrel is broken from a shot, it can be replaced.

That second point is big. If the Edge holder mechanism fails from basic wear and tear due to repeated use which is unavoidable, you have to get new holders entirely. Not needing to do that will be great!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Having a bit of trouble visualizing how this works.  Conceptually, did they basically take the LS2 design and make the retaining nut accessible from the outside?

12 hours ago, Chicagodweller said:

I keep seeing a rumor of a custom option. Will stores have this available for the retail consumer? I am considering True's but might wait if its an option for the AS1.

I just got a pair of True skates and was taking to the store manager when getting them baked about the custom AS1.  He said the full custom option from a scan will be available to consumers but will be more expensive, like $1300-1400.  Not sure how accurate or final this is though.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, MrBrownstone said:

I just got a pair of True skates and was taking to the store manager when getting them baked about the custom AS1.  He said the full custom option from a scan will be available to consumers but will be more expensive, like $1300-1400.  Not sure how accurate or final this is though.

It will be the same cost as Bauer customs, not the price you said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markush said:

Where can I find a list of available custom options (like colors, different tongue etc)?

From your shop/rep. Colors aren't a thing. tongue, ankle padding, liner, stiffness.

I got my AS1's yesterday and out of the box they feel phenomenal. I absolutely love the fit.

The XS Holder is really easy, if a bit more finicky than the LS Edge holder at first, but I prefer how the SB holder pitched my foot, so overall I'm a fan.

3PZfFyy.jpg

Edited by sbisson91
Link didn't work.
  • Like 5

Nice. Was the XS holder a special order or are all AS1's coming with it? Purehockey's product pages for both senior and junior show the SB Black runners with SB4.0 holders.

• Like 1

@sbisson91 those look phenomenal.  Are they a custom order? Also, in your pic it looks like the steel isn't quite fully into the holder - is that just from not having it tightened back in all the way?  Holder definitely looks interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tcraig said:

@sbisson91 those look phenomenal.  Are they a custom order? Also, in your pic it looks like the steel isn't quite fully into the holder - is that just from not having it tightened back in all the way?  Holder definitely looks interesting. 

Not so much a custom order as just a regular pro order. I work for a hockey team, so occasionally I get little benefits like this.

The Step Steel is fully in the holder. It was designed to have a little notch out of the back so if you need help getting the blade out when you unscrew it, there's space to insert a little pry option there.

1 hour ago, blue_line said:

Nice. Was the XS holder a special order or are all AS1's coming with it? Purehockey's product pages for both senior and junior show the SB Black runners with SB4.0 holders.

The XS holder is just for the pro options. Like was mentioned earlier, it isn't coming to retail, yet.

2 hours ago, sbisson91 said:

Not so much a custom order as just a regular pro order. I work for a hockey team, so occasionally I get little benefits like this.

The Step Steel is fully in the holder. It was designed to have a little notch out of the back so if you need help getting the blade out when you unscrew it, there's space to insert a little pry option there.

The XS holder is just for the pro options. Like was mentioned earlier, it isn't coming to retail, yet.

Got it, thanks.  Are there any differences other than the holder setup between your "regular" pro order and a retail AS1?  And interesting on the notch - it looks kind of out of place but I get what you're saying about having a pry spot.  

Just now, tcraig said:

Got it, thanks.  Are there any differences other than the holder setup between your "regular" pro order and a retail AS1?  And interesting on the notch - it looks kind of out of place but I get what you're saying about having a pry spot.  

The first thing that noticeably jumps out to me is the tongue, but that's because I was given about 10 different options to choose from. Other than that, I'm not too sure what differences there are between mine and the retail version. I've got a friend that works at a LHS and is going to be heading to a massive demo day soon, so he's been tasked with finding out. I'd imagine there's a slight difference in weight too, based on previous pro vs retail offerings I've used. That's just pure speculation though.

• Like 1

From what I've heard thru the grapevine, within another year or two all of the top level skates will essentially be "custom" and shops will only be able to stock 2nd from top down, all as part of manufacturers' efforts to manage inventory control.

• Like 5