Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Leif

Leg pain

For many weeks I have had pain when lying in bed and turning onto my left side. It was a sharp pain in the thigh. Yesterday when I got up from a hard seat, I had a severe pain in the left leg, at the top, pretty much where the leg joins the pelvis, and I was unable to put weight on the leg. I was in agony. I stretched the leg by lifting my knee to my chest a few times, and the pain went. Later on at the ice rink, after I put on skates, I had the same pain, and again stretching made it go away. But today it is back and worrying me. Has anyone had something similar, and what was the cause? 

Yes I may well go to the doctor, but I’d like to know how to take care of my leg in the meantime. And what might have caused the pain. 

And stay away from googling it. A visit to the doc and most likely an xray (to see if there are any obvious joint issues like osteoarthritis and cartilage damage) will give you a starting point. If the doc says its most probably nothing, be insistent. I had 2 tell me the pain in my thigh was most probably just a pulled muscle before my physio sent me for xrays and for these xrays to then tell the true story.

• Like 3

Sadly the pain is now constant, so a visit to the doctor is ASAP is planned. Damn. Incidentally I did Google leg pain, and frankly it was not much use. Fortunately the local dotors are very good, albeit hard to see as they are so busy.

• Sad 1

Go see a doctor! From experience it sounds like Sciatic pain. I have two ruptured disks in my lower back and when I do something that bothers them I get a pain that runs down my but to my hamstring. If I really overdue it the pain will go to my foot. There are so many things it could be from a simple sore muscle to something like a pinched nerve or something worse like arthritis to DVT. Be safe and let the pros figure it out. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I saw a doctor today, and it is a trapped sciatic nerve, very painful but not serious. I was advised to see my own doctor so he can take a closer look, and prescribe painkillers, which the doctor at the walk in clinic could not do. However, I mentioned in passing that my heart rate drops as low as 32bpm, and asked if that was okay, at which point he gave me an ECG of my heart, and on seeing the results he has banned me from any further exercise, and instructed me to see my own doctor ASAP, so he can refer me to a cardiologist. I am to dial an ambulance if I feel ANY chest pains. :facepalm: It would appear that I have a heart syndrome that is seen in some elite athletes. :laugh: And I might need an on demand pacemaker. So, it looks like this leg problem has been a god send, and might have saved my life. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:Oh, and my Apple Watch which alerted me to my low heart rate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Thanks all. I saw a doctor today, and it is a trapped sciatic nerve, very painful but not serious. I was advised to see my own doctor so he can take a closer look, and prescribe painkillers, which the doctor at the walk in clinic could not do. However, I mentioned in passing that my heart rate drops as low as 32bpm, and asked if that was okay, at which point he gave me an ECG of my heart, and on seeing the results he has banned me from any further exercise, and instructed me to see my own doctor ASAP, so he can refer me to a cardiologist. I am to dial an ambulance if I feel ANY chest pains. :facepalm: It would appear that I have a heart syndrome that is seen in some elite athletes. :laugh: And I might need an on demand pacemaker. So, it looks like this leg problem has been a god send, and might have saved my life. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:Oh, and my Apple Watch which alerted me to my low heart rate. 

The Apple Watch has saved more than a few lives at this point. My wife and I are both enrolled in the Apple Heart Study, which I'd encourage you to enroll in as well if you aren't already.

Glad you got it checked out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Holy f-ing shit!!  

11 hours ago, Leif said:

Hope everything goes well with the heart. Sending good vibes your way.

But in terms of the sciatic nerve, when I read your initial post, that's what it sounded like to me. I've had to deal with that issue several times in the past. It can be a lingering issue or if you're like me, you can be rid if/keep it in check simply by doing a few movements or stretches to free up your nerve. 

The first time I got it, I didn't know what it was and just suffered through it for a couple of weeks. The second time I got it, I made a doctor's appointment, and then went on google, which led me to youtube where I found a few simple exercises to try. The first time I did them, the pain when from nearly unbearable to a dull ache, and then nothing an hour and a half later. Since then, there have been times where I could feel the nerve starting to be pinched, but nipped it in the bud by stretching and doing the exercises I did before.

No guarantees, but it's something for you to CAREFULLY try. Doing these exercises shouldn't be painful or add to your pain. Maybe if you're lucky, the issue with your sciatic nerve will be taken off your plate, so you can deal with the more pressing matters.

Below is the video that first helped me. You can find many-many others on youtube.

Good luck.

Edited by puckpilot
  • Thanks 1

A quick update. A saw my doctor, I was able to see her the next morning which was excellent. I had another ECG, and she had to phone a cardiologist. But I’m fine. They’ll give me a 24 hour heart monitor to make sure, but there’s no arrythmia. I think the first medic had never met someone with such a low pulse, and yet it’s not uncommon among skaters. And I think he overreacted which was a bit irresponsible. My doctor told me that Lance Armstrong’s pulse goes down to 17!!!!

Thanks all. 

Puckpilot: Thank you, a really helpful post. I’m doing the exercises, yes they help, so I might be able to skate with the help of some paracetamol to reduce inflammation. Or perhaps it will subside of its own accord. I looked at the Apple study but I don’t think I can register, maybe too late, or maybe US only. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leif said:

Puckpilot: Thank you, a really helpful post. I’m doing the exercises, yes they help, so I might be able to skate with the help of some paracetamol to reduce inflammation. Or perhaps it will subside of its own accord. I looked at the Apple study but I don’t think I can register, maybe too late, or maybe US only. 

I'm glad things are looking up for you. If the nerve continues to bother you, you might consider seeing a physio therapist. They can help you find stretches and exercises that are more personalized.

Over the last few years, I've encountered several different issues with the nerves in my shoulder and my back, all caused because I was pushing myself a little too much in skating and shooting during my workouts. Each time, it boiled down to one simple solution, stretching. I've always stretched, but I wasn't stretching the right muscles. All the shooting and skating drills had caused tightness in muscles that i wasn't stretching, which created a muscle imbalance, which started to pinch/irritate nerves. 

For example, I was working on getting super deep in my skating crouch. This led to back spasms. But after experimenting with stretches to my back, I realized the issue was with my hamstrings. Stretched those out and poof, no more back spasms.  

Any way

Good luck

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2018 at 2:23 PM, Leif said:

Wow , that is an Maddening pain.  Give inversion a try . Teeter makes a nice inversion table.  It stretches things out ,,puts the back in alignment. Takes pressure off the nerves.  

• Like 1

Thanks again, especially puckpilot.

Well yesterday I stretched lots, and managed one hours skating with no discomfort. I then in the evening did one hours hockey, and enjoyed it immensely. However, on getting up from the comfy chair, before going to the hockey session, I found myself in excruciating pain, the like of which I’ve never known. A few stretches later and it went. Today I did one and a half hours skating. I now have just a dull ache in the lower back area. I read that sciatica is usually caused by a herniated disk, so I hope it repairs itself. And I discovered that 9ne of the young lads in our hockey team has sciatica too. 

Interestingly I’ve had neck discomfort for a few years now, and the stretching has got rid of it. I suspect that as we age, we often forget to exercise our bodies properly, and they can seize up. 

The inversion table looks interesting, but it needs lots of space. 

Sciatica is not always caused by a herniated disk. Many times it's inflammation of the nerves or muscles. Core strength exercise and stretching help a lot and weight management if you are heavy. Be careful with inversion tables. They do help provide some relief from back pains but we are not bats designed to hang upside down for long periods. If you have had some heart issues check with your doctor first. Hanging upside down puts a lot of pressure to your head. Try different things to see what helps the best. I've had games where it hurt to put on skates but once I started moving the pain goes away or is manageable.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leif said:

Thanks again, especially puckpilot.

Well yesterday I stretched lots, and managed one hours skating with no discomfort. I then in the evening did one hours hockey, and enjoyed it immensely. However, on getting up from the comfy chair, before going to the hockey session, I found myself in excruciating pain, the like of which I’ve never known. A few stretches later and it went. Today I did one and a half hours skating. I now have just a dull ache in the lower back area. I read that sciatica is usually caused by a herniated disk, so I hope it repairs itself. And I discovered that 9ne of the young lads in our hockey team has sciatica too. 

Interestingly I’ve had neck discomfort for a few years now, and the stretching has got rid of it. I suspect that as we age, we often forget to exercise our bodies properly, and they can seize up. 

The inversion table looks interesting, but it needs lots of space. 

The inversion table takes up space for sure  it does fold easily  .  Stretching got me to work many days.  Found out after what I was doing had some things in common with yoga . You may want to try yoga 

• Like 1

Yes the stretches I am doing are essentially yoga. Perhaps in the long term stretches will help general mobility and not just back/leg relief. I’m glad this isn’t a torn muscle/tendon. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2018 at 3:18 AM, Leif said:

A quick update. A saw my doctor, I was able to see her the next morning which was excellent. I had another ECG, and she had to phone a cardiologist. But I’m fine. They’ll give me a 24 hour heart monitor to make sure, but there’s no arrythmia. I think the first medic had never met someone with such a low pulse, and yet it’s not uncommon among skaters. And I think he overreacted which was a bit irresponsible. My doctor told me that Lance Armstrong’s pulse goes down to 17!!!!

Thanks all. 

I am happy your heart is ok  .  I have chf  from a viral infection attacking left ventricle  . The hard part is the change in what you are capable of . Every move has to be planned  . .... oh with my back a large bag of ice on my lower back works miracles for relief   . 

Sorry to hear about your CHF, that sounds nasty. I hope it improves or at least does not worsen.

Regarding my back/leg, lots of stretching and skating seem to have sorted it out, just the odd bit of lumbar stiffness when standing. Frankly I see myself as lucky that I can play hockey at my age.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 8:29 AM, Leif said:

Sorry to hear about your CHF, that sounds nasty. I hope it improves or at least does not worsen.

Regarding my back/leg, lots of stretching and skating seem to have sorted it out, just the odd bit of lumbar stiffness when standing. Frankly I see myself as lucky that I can play hockey at my age.

Thank you man.  I push the limit.  

For my back the worse mistake I made was getting surgery.  Then a series of surgeries chasing getting better or being able to be productive.   I get on the ice .teach power skating.  Go to stick and puck for a short time.  For about 15 seconds and a bunch of pain in my back I can still put on the jets.  Hehehe.    Stretching and working on my core kept me functional for years.  Ice too ,aggressive ice big bag on the lower back right on the skin.  Like a miracle.

Edited by Playmakersedge
Add info

On 3/7/2018 at 1:17 PM, drbones said:

Did anyone try a Chiropractor for their sciatic pain or low back stiffness?

Yes, I spent quite a while with one. My issue is arthritis in the spine, if I lift anything heavier than 10kgs my back can go out, either lower back or upper spine, it sucks when you can't look left or right because your spine has locked up. Initially I would go only when it hurt or my back was out and after still struggling many months later I eventually signed up for an extensive treatment course, as often as I wanted for a year at a fixed cost. 3 months later I was much better, after 6 months he told me I didn't really need to go anymore. I initially went twice a day (for 4 months) and then once every morning (for another 4 months)  and then once a week until the year was up. Now 7 years later on, with regular exercise and stretching I am in a life long maintenance mode. I still need to be really careful when lifting heavy things but other than that I am pain free. It is still some of the best money I ever spent. He also told me skating is one of the best exercises you can do for your back, the rotation of the spine as you skate helps to destress muscles and keeps things nice and loose. Swimming, inverting, yoga and pilates are also really good. But time is the enemy and I know that one day I may need fusion as degeneration of the spine continues.