Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fliteskates

Swapping out runner on Bauer s180 skates multiple times a problem?

I'm putting in synthetic ice in my basement for my daughter and was wondering if I buy her another set of runners, (one for real ice, one for synthetic) if it will be an issue wearing down the tuuk swapping them in and out multiple times a week? Say 2-3 times a week.

12 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Wearing down the steel blade? No

Wearing down the crappy Edge holder and trigger system? You Betcha

Anecdotal, to be sure...but out here in Southern California, where our outdoor rinks tend to be made of plastic, people regularly switch out their steel for the exact reason and under the exact same conditions as OP is suggesting and I've yet to hear of a problem with the Lightspeed Edge system.  

Is it as robust as the SB 4.0 system?  Probably not.  But, for all practical purposes, it absolutely functions as intended. 

There's been plenty of threads and/or discussion about the LS Edge system.

Do some fail?  Yes.

Do most not?  Yes. 

Let's just leave it at that.

I’ve seen some fail, yes. But moreso I’ve seen the components get loose and worn out. There are a few moving pieces in the trigger mechanism as well as the steel becoming loose medially/laterally

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I’ve seen some fail, yes. But moreso I’ve seen the components get loose and worn out. There are a few moving pieces in the trigger mechanism as well as the steel becoming loose medially/laterally

If they have been skated on for more than a few months around my area they seem to all be loose in some way.

7 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

Anecdotal, to be sure...but out here in Southern California, where our outdoor rinks tend to be made of plastic, people regularly switch out their steel for the exact reason and under the exact same conditions as OP is suggesting and I've yet to hear of a problem with the Lightspeed Edge system.  

Is it as robust as the SB 4.0 system?  Probably not.  But, for all practical purposes, it absolutely functions as intended. 

It's good to hear others do this regularly. 

If the tuuk wears out, I'll just have to buy a new one.

Thx for the replies all.

I swap my son's runners at least twice every week. We've been doing that for eight months with no issues. It's the greatest thing with us using indoor ice, outdoor ice, and skating treadmill sometimes all in the same week.