Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ParabolicActivity

How long do NHL players use a pair of skates?

I don't know the answer really, but I know that since they are all such strong skaters and generally heavier their skates will lose stiffness a lot faster than your average non pro hockey player.

From what I've read in numerous articles in the past is that it varries by player. I read Blake went through 4-6 pairs a season. Some players use the same pair all season. 

For the younger viewers; b4 skates where designed for baking, players like Blake would soak them in the hot tub, other put on wet socks and wore them around for an hour or so. 

I spoke to a player from the UK Bracknell Bees team when I was buying skates in a shop, and he said he went through a pair in six months. I asked why he didn't just change the runners, and he said the skates were pretty knocked about after six months. He was buying a mid range pair (Bauer Vapod X500). I suspect an NHL player gets much more ice time for training.

Depends on the player, as stated.

When I was with Tampa Bay, the heavy switchers were guys like Ohlund and MSL - the latter, I think one season I had ended up with 15 pair of his skates - each skate certainly still with life in them. 

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Depends on the player, as stated.

When I was with Tampa Bay, the heavy switchers were guys like Ohlund and MSL - the latter, I think one season I had ended up with 15 pair of his skates - each skate certainly still with life in them. 

Out of curiosity, what was the longest a player would use the same pair for?

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

long gone are the days of Brian Leetch using a dozen rolls of tape on each skate just to hold it together because he didn't want to change them :laugh:

I think Keith does the same thing. 

23 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

long gone are the days of Brian Leetch using a dozen rolls of tape on each skate just to hold it together because he didn't want to change them :laugh:

Speaking of older Rangers, I remember in the '94 playoffs, John Davidson talking about how the Rangers EQM basically fused materials on Stephane Matteau's skates to last the playoffs as they were pretty much done.  I remember them doing a close up on them, and they looked burnt.

I've heard NHLers get their skates made to their feet by companies like Bauer and CCM just like what True hockey is doing now.. At least the endorsed ones.. Is that true?

41 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I've heard NHLers get their skates made to their feet by companies like Bauer and CCM just like what True hockey is doing now.. At least the endorsed ones.. Is that true?

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Victor Hedman says in this inteview that he gets new skates every 10 games.

Also that he goes through around 100 sticks in a season, dunno if that's alot or normal..

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/trekronorinside/2017/05/100-klubbor-10-skridskor-och-resorb/

Can tell you that Patrick Kane uses a brand new stick every game, regardless of circumstance - so that'd be at least 82/season, plus playoffs (not this year), plus whatever he breaks over the course of the year.  

100 (+/-) would seem to dovetail with that nicely.

I shake my head at the wastefulness of it, though.  When I was in college, I went through maybe 20-25 sticks a season - and most I didn't break, I'd just give 'em to one of the kids hanging over the tunnel after a home game. Our equipment guys encouraged it - said it kept the kids dragging the parents back to the game, which is what everyone wanted.  Granted, the sticks were wood and it wasn't the NHL, so...different time, different game. 

And now, hell, I have a True A 5.2 that I bought over two years ago that I use pretty much nightly....

13 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

plus all the practices between games that puts wear and tear on sticks

Players have practice sets.  That’s how they break skates in; they transition them to their game set when ready. 

8 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Players have practice sets.  That’s how they break skates in; they transition them to their game set when ready. 

right, but wouldn't those be counted in the 100

7 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

right, but wouldn't those be counted in the 100

I don’t think you’re discussing the same categories. JR wrote “skates” and it sounds like you’re talking about sticks.

I was highlighting the fact that players have equipment specifically used in practices.  The OP asked about skates; so I tied that in as well.