Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Healthyscratch

Alternative to True skates?

I understand the inserts to an extent... but his whole foot is sliding forward when he skates. There’s no heel lock because the skate simply has too much space. Thanks for your response. The FT2’s are definitely on the list.
  3. Coldclay

My son wore Mako's for years, then went to CCM FT1's (currently on his second pair of FT1's) and we did add a Powerfoot insert to the toe box, but again, he had Powerfoot (Mako version) inserted in the Mako's too. He just like his toes to be snugged.
  4. Today
  5. Healthyscratch

Pure Hockey. I contacted True about the skates, and asked that the skates be remade. They did not offer to remake the skate - they offered to send me 3M “footbeds” to raise his foot to press against the tongue. That is a direct quote. I responded to them that - that is not the solution. The skates, based upon their marketing, reputation and price point should fit relatively well outside the box. I also know that a footbed is merely putting a bandaid on the problem, and likely won’t work at all. I don’t know where it goes from there, but in the event that they maintain a footbed is the solution to my problem. I will not be purchasing True skates again. Which is a shame, as we truly love the skates. This isn’t something that can be overlooked however. The skates don’t fit, and I’m not getting any significant help with it. I need recommendations on the closest alternative to a Mako/True skate on the market.
  6. Nicholas G

Which store? What do you mean they cannot get them remade? I've never heard of this situation before in my life.
  7. mojo122

Warrior Sticks

Only problem is that lie measurement varies from brand to brand due to how each measures it. Rocker can also affect how it plays. While flex rating should be consistent some play softer and/or stiffer than their flex rating.
  8. Outdoor Labs

Warrior Sticks

Thanks for the input so far. I can’t remember where I found it, but I believe the Warrior lies are 5, and the Bauer are 6. The lie hasn’t been too much of an issue, I didn’t have a problem using a True stick with a lie of 5 for a while. As for flex, I currently use an 85/87. I’m 5’10 and hover around 225. While I don’t lean into shots too much, for lack of technique, I’m a little leery going down to the 70 range.
  9. stick9

Warrior Sticks

I found the puck feel on the QX to be miles better than the QRL and the QX was a bit more forgiving when it came to hand placement. I'd say blade lie and flex rating are far more important than kick point or blade pattern.
  10. Cavs019

Warrior Sticks

I think going to a lower flex more generally would be more beneficial than trying to dial in the kickpoint.
  11. Buzz_LightBeer

Warrior Sticks

In my opinion I’d opt for the Covert line, the low kick aspect would be more beneficial to someone shooting primarily wristers and snappers
  12. Outdoor Labs

Warrior Sticks

For those that have tried both the Alpha and Covert lines, which have you noticed to be more forgiving and helpful with shots? To preference that a little more, I'm a newer player, that takes mostly wrist or snap shots, and I know I don't have the greatest form. Experience wise, I've used both the Vapor and Nexus lines, and I know that the Alpha would be somewhat of a mix between those two. I'm looking for a stick to upgrade to that will do well to aid my lack of skill (for now) in shots, and also help me to get more power and control as I get better with shooting skills. I've seen mixed things as far as the blade pop for passing and such, which I can't say I've really had too many issues with as far as passing or receiving passes. My main goal is looking for one that will give me a little more help with my shots as my form and technique continues to improve. So between the two lines, should I pick up a Covert QRE variant, or wait a little longer and an Alpha DX variant? Thanks.
  13. Healthyscratch

Thanks for the response. The store cannot do much about having the skates remade. I wish they could. I’m sure they can work with me on getting into a different skate. A true rep’s response was to send footbeds, so I’ve been in touch with True.
  14. BenBreeg

Brooks Orpik has retired

I used to love watching him in Pittsburgh when he was in his prime. People thought he was on the downside and then he kept going in Washington.
  15. Nicholas G

TRUE will remake the skates for you. Talk to the store you purchased them from and explain your concerns. They should be able to help get things situated. In my experience, TRUE is the best to work with in regards to custom skates. CCM is also nice to work with as well. I cannot comment on Bauer as we do not do custom skates with them and Bauer no longer allows custom skate orders without a 3D scan.
  16. Trackweapon

My daughters wore Mako’s for a few years until we couldn’t get the next size. Both of them tried a few different kinds of skates. One ended up in AS1’s after trying a pair of 1x’s and x900’s. She loves them and will probably be sticking with them. My other daughter ended up in Ft1’s and liked them but didn’t like the space in the toe cap so I ended up putting foam in the top of the toe cap to help with the extra space. The new Bauer 2x might be an option since the toe cap is supposed to be not as tall.
  17. caveman27

Brooks Orpik has retired

Well, he had a good run. What a career. After 1,035 games and two Stanley Cups, Brooks Orpik has called it a career, announcing his retirement from the NHL on Tuesday. https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/longtime-penguins-capitals-defenseman-brooks-orpik-retires-after-15-seasons-in-nhl/
  18. Healthyscratch

Their only response was to send me 3M footbeds (at no cost!) - “to raise his foot against the tongue”.
  19. IPv6Freely

I would have them re-made.
  20. Healthyscratch

My son has been wearing True skates for about 2 years now. Absolutely loved them. Orderer a new pair, the skates came, they were made too large. Significantly more space than needed - in ankle area and toe box (more than necessary for growth). After multiple bakings, there is still no heel lock. His feet are sliding forward when skating. The skates are duds. Trues answer to this was to send me footbeds to push his foot up higher. That’s not acceptable for the amount of money that was put into the boots. I believe a custom skate should fit relatively well out of the box. At least, that’s would one would expect from their marketing. I’m looking to return the skates and go with a different brand - I’m not looking to spend any more money with True. Can anyone guide me in the direction of a boot that would closely resemble True. My son was wearing Mako’s for years, hence the jump to True. Is the FT2 an option? Thank you
  21. ParabolicActivity

Ribcor skates

I have the "Platinum" model. A somehow upgraded 68K. Unbelievably nice skate. They are my favorite thing I have ever ownedm
  22. ParabolicActivity

Curve Frustration - Need Recommendations

I've spent a lot of money to come back around to that. I was lucky that for the first time in my life I had disposable income when I got back into hockey. So I went through variations of everything. P92 to 88, 38, PM9, P02, etc etc. There are a lot of cool curves but at the end of the day in a game situation you just need a jack of all trades curve, technique and some luck.
  23. Nicholas G

12' -McJesus

12' is good for big open ice and for those players with powerful legs who like to glide/coast. I think the main thing I have noticed with a 12' is it takes a lot more energy and work to get those first 1-4 strides underneath you. After that it feels decently nice, but the lack of mobility and agility will make it hard to use the profile effectively on anything smaller than olympic ice.
  24. Nicholas G

14' -McJesus

Yeah, this is how I feel on any single radius profile longer than an 11'
  25. Yesterday
  26. CCM isn’t a company who posts a lot on this board. There are a few people who will post in very specific threads that they are active in for a specific time period. If you have a concern, you’re better off contacting them directly.
  27. Stewie

Newbie Skate Recommendation

I’d convert if you have extra ice boots. If you’re going for asphalt usage the wheels will be cheaper, same with just getting some cheaper bearings and a basic aluminum chassis. CCM Tacks has a 9.5 on IW in their under 200 boot if you can fit into a Tacks skate. Wheels look outdoor already. If you start to get more serious about inline you probably want to get up to at least the 300$ range Lastly, you can get some basic roller blades if your just looking to do some skating. I have all 3 levels that I use for different tasks.
  28. It got better over time, so no more pain - but really would love someone from CCM could provide feedback on this known topic.
  1. Load more activity