Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. My youngest started skating when he was 3 in a pair of CCM Intruder 55 skates. They were very flexible. At 17 years old now he's one of the better skaters you'd see on the ice at that age. Ankle range of mobility is a huge deal at the end of the day for skating, and anything that would restrict developing ankle strength and range of motion would be something I'd personally look to avoid. So I'd agree with your take on staying in a softer boot at that age. I can't say with certainty that one model over the other is better or worse, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have changed a thing and I would have kept him in those CCM Intruders. When he outgrew them he used a a pair of MIssion (Warp I think?) and they were at least as soft/flexible a boot or maybe even more so. He didn't move into a pair of Supremes with some more stiffness until he'd already been skating for 3 or 4 years. Regarding your upgrades - I'd stick with the stock insoles unless he has discomfort. As long as they cover the rivets effectively then unless your son has issues with his feet you're trying to correct - why mess with that? In particular - if you do go with Superfeet, I'd first have a look at the pencil test and make sure if he's got high arches that putting in a thicker footbed doesn't raise his foot too high in the boot and cause lace bite or other issues. My son has very high arches (borderline fails the pencil test on a pair of Tacks) so this is something I'm always careful about. And yes you're crazy... but we all are that's why we're here talking about hockey equipment in July. colins
  3. Long time reader first time poster. I am a researcher/analysis kinda guy --- I am a systems thinker... so sometimes I OVER THINK, but in reality I enjoy the cerebral exercise of decision making and trying to make a good decision when purchasing things ... sooooo .... Did I make the right a good and well reasoned/researched decision on the skate I purchased for my 8u Mite --- (it's easy to sit and dispense advice to parents on the team and to folks on the internet but when it's your kid, how the doubt and over-thinking flood in!) New Skate: Bauer Supreme s25 Junior (sz 1) -- [**Would you make any modifications? (New tongue? Replace cheap etc...)] My planned upgrades: Superfeet Insert (the stock Bauer one is ... a piece of cloth?) Profile the blades ... not a direct mod per se, but when compared to a 2S with some yahoo on the grind wheel... Might throw them in an old skate convection oven after the first couple of skates just after a skate to keep them breaking in quickly. Could be convinced: New Tongue --- honestly I dont think this adds to the performance much ... so probably not since this one isnt HORRIBLE unless lace bite pops up. New Runners --- This is addressed in my concern. Since the holder is not an edge, doing this would be ... EXPENSIVE, and might blow the S25 experiment out of the water. Skater profile: 7yo, 45lbs, above average skater, has most of his edges, constantly moving -- lots of starts and stops. Previous skate: Bauer Supreme 140 Why the s25: Went with the s25 after reading lots of posts here and my personal philosophy of skating for kids. The purchase was about finding a skate he said felt good, that the fitter and myself agreed fit well, and that was a good skate for a kid, i.e. somewhat flexible and lower volume padding. Had him try everything and even the s27 seemed way to stiff for him. I believe that many kids are pushed into skates that are WAY too stiff for them and that the flagship models in the lines (e.g. the Bauer 2s) are just too bulky for kids --- this is a minor point compared to the flex. I do have a little bit of "dad remorse" because as I am buying these entry level skates BECAUSE I believe I am smarter than the sales folks and the skate company ... I see tons of other parents not blinking and buying their 7yos s29s, 2Ss, [insert top model line skates here]. So while I trust my instinct ... I still have a few doubts. Ultimately, I didn't want him to go from a SQUISHY 140, to a super stiff s29 or even s27. I also won't belabor this but, I don't think kids under about 100lbs and 11/12 years should ever be in a flagship model. Note on the tongue: I am actually surprised at the construction. Foam is thick, 30z, two piece, and has a metatarsal pad and lace bite feature. My biggest doubts/concerns are: The runners that come in an entry level skate are... well ... a concern. This kid likes his skates as sharp as possible. I could probably do them every 2 skates and he'd love it. He is fairly careful but he chewed up his last blades on the 140. Luckily I don't have to pay for EVERY sharpen as I can do them at the rink with his coach. To me, I would want a better steel to keep an edge better (not necessarily longer, although those are essentially the same thing) ... perform a bit better (HE IS 7 ... so there is a limited return here). The issue is there is no cheap or easy way to alleviate this problem so I dont think fixing this is WORTH it in any sense of the word. While he said he liked this skate feel the best of anything he tried on ... he liked the s27 second. The 27 was quite a bit stiffer but probably is a better constructed boot overall... so should I have sacrificed a bit of flex for cushioning/interior, a better tongue, and the LS Edge holder with quick release and answer both these concerns? A final note: MY KID is 7. Seven. He is still afraid of the basement. So I know that this detailed of a post is CRAZY TOWN, but it's fun for me, and my wife is sick of me gaming this out with her because HE IS 7 So I know that this is overkill decision making for a 7 year old ... but again this is for SCIENCE and so I can tell the rest of the parents on my team who will come to me asking if they should drop $179 - $399 on skates. So let's have it ... indulge me with your skate knowledge geekiness and love of this sort of mental exercise. [NB: I do have a thought at the end of all of this, which is sort of my punch line, but I want to see where folks come in on this.]
  4. stick9

Tendinitis help?

I’ve rehabbed everything from bumps & bruises, to broken bones, to torn ligaments…including multiple injuries to my hands and wrists. Each time I successfully returned to the ice without issue. The key is putting in the work to strengthen the affected areas. My guess, you weren’t really ready to come back and you re-aggravated it by doing so. That most likely put you right back to square 1. Me, I usually test things out in a low risk setting like stick time or public skating. I start off light, pushing harder each time. If something doesn’t feel right, I am done. Remember, feeling good and ready to play hockey are two completely different things. I'd say, work on not just getting your strength back, but get stronger and don't come back until you are ready. If you continue to have issues, then it's time to dissect your kit.
  5. SalisburyStreets

Easton Makos converted pics?

Hey @JR Boucicaut do you still do Mako conversions? I moved to Brooklyn and given the limited access to ice rinks I'm interested in trying inline. I have a pair of Mako IIs that I'm not using -- they did have some issues with rivets getting loose quickly (though the holders never felt lose themselves). I'm wondering if I'd have the same challenge with the inline holder or if it can be mitigated somehow during the conversion. PM me if you want to take conversation off board and coordinate Mako conversion if that is something we can arrange.
  6. flip12

2018-2019 Gear Sightings

I quite like it, especially in comparison with Bauer’s usual cuffs.
  7. Nicholas G

2018-2019 Gear Sightings

Its so ugly.
  8. Last week
  9. Mister_NoDangles

2018-2019 Gear Sightings

That's a custom cuff. You can see the 1X Lite logo in a video clip with him.
  10. I did this for a few summers as a kid, not necessarily learning how to figure skate per se, but learning crossovers and edge control specifically. I was chirped copiously at the time, yet I'd say I benefited massively from doing so. Edge control is everything in a game, I find my ability to crossover as a fundamental base of my entire game as a puck mover.
  11. Jagrmullet

2018-2019 Gear Sightings

Is this a new Bauer Vapor glove? I appears to have a different cuff, similar to a flex cuff......
  12. nutters

Does tape protect your blade?

I always try not to... but once the heavy wear areas get exposed I need to twist my own arm to retape.Just finished a game after a new tj (sorry everyone for using that term) and it's all ripped and torn. Like you, I'll do patch work
  13. Stewie

Tendinitis help?

maybe i should give this a try. I stopped playing for 3 weeks during the rink shutdown at Taylor for NARCH, and my wrist was feeling great, but getting back to it Sunday and immediately the pain returns, worse yet i put it through back to backs.
  14. Sniper9

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

So July 15 has come and gone and no video showing the new holder and how it works....
  15. boo10

I started doing it with wooden sticks around 1985. I found that wood blades would split at the toe, then soak up water and get mushy. The tape worked well to stop this from happening. At the time I was on the ice over 200 times per year, and my parents couldn't afford to be dropping $30 on a stick every 10-15 games/practices.
  16. BenBreeg

Tendinitis help?

I don’t think so either. The slightest change in movement pattern can have an effect on how the tendon is moving and the forces being applied to it.
  17. Davideo

Why did taping the toe first become popular? 20 years ago it seemed pretty uncommon. Did it have to do with the introduction of composite sticks/blades?
  18. JR Boucicaut

Tendinitis help?

Actually, don’t think he is. I know I had bad tendinitis with stiffer sticks. And a shorter stick may put his wrists at a different angle. KT tape is garbage. RockTape is better. And @BenBreeg’s reco for an ART-certified chiro is spot-on. Ericca runs a clinic which specializes in it.
  19. stick9

Tendinitis help?

Grips, different length sticks, switching hands... Dude, you are way overthinking this.
  20. All Flash

Depends on your level of OCD in the amount of attention you have with your gear I would say. I personally use to tape my stick every game. Spent 30 mins most times getting it just right. Then 15 years ago I switched to blade tape and now it's not a thing anymore. And yes people always say well that leaves the bottom of the blade and toe exposed but since I stopped worrying about that when I started using blade tape my sticks usually outlast my blade tape. As an added bonus the stick slides nicer on the ice and the grip is always there when needed.
  21. caveman27

I've never not taped a stick. I actually add an extra strip of tape along the bottom edge as that gets the most wear.
  22. bondoao1

Wait, you are supposed to retape sticks? LOL I used to retape my stick after every game, but I've been lazy lately I haven't taped my 2N since I got it. I have about 10 pick up games on the stick now. I have put an extra strip along the bottom of the blade tho.
  23. shoot_the_goalie

I used to not tape the toe, but now I do, as I have seen how many less chips the blade suffers when fully taped. With that said, tape only does so much and it does add a slight a bit of weight (with wax) and does change the balance a tiny bit.
  24. Found one of my old Sakic's in the basement. For those interested...seems to be a low-mid kick (I'm certainly not an expert on this, but what I can say...the curve is identical to the Warrior W03 Backstrom. I guess that's why I'm liking that stick so far. I still have to work on slapper mechanics, my other shots are hard and accurate with the W03 Alpha QX 85. Gonna try the 75 tonight at practice.
  25. start_today

I meantime specifically for the person who currently tapes it, but is looking to explore a new taping lifestyle.
  26. Buzz_LightBeer

CCM Tacks 1052 vs CCM U+05

They’re both similar range, geared more towards rec skaters, less towards ice hockey players. I’d personally look to upgrade sooner rather than later
  27. Hi Mod Squad I'm new to ice hockey and managed to get my hands to 2 pairs of 2nd hands skates, CCM Tacks 1052 and CCM U+05 Which is generally considered better and why? I can't find much info on the CCM U+05 skates on the web. Here are the 2 pairs of skates I appreciate any help Thanks
  1. Load more activity