Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Bauer XXX Goalie Skate ... first pics

I would bet that if you took any other boot out of the cowling it would do the same thing. I just looked at my 7000 goal skates and it did not take to much effort to squeeze the boot together inside of the cowling. The cowling is riveted to the boot for a reason. It ads support and stiffness to the inside edge of the boot. As a goalie the only place on a skate that I wouyld be woriied about stiffness is the inside quarter. The plastic from the cowling gives it the support that a goalie needs.

I would bet that if you took any other boot out of the cowling it would do the same thing. I just looked at my 7000 goal skates and it did not take to much effort to squeeze the boot together inside of the cowling. The cowling is riveted to the boot for a reason. It ads support and stiffness to the inside edge of the boot. As a goalie the only place on a skate that I wouyld be woriied about stiffness is the inside quarter. The plastic from the cowling gives it the support that a goalie needs.

The Graf goalie boot is the only one that doesn't use the cowling for support. It is, by far, the best goalie boot on the market.

well thats how they look right now on the cowling since theres not much stiffness in the quarters on that boot

Just as a side note on the whole clear cowling thing. I was at Maximum Edge getting my skates sharpened on the weekend and was asking the guys about the new goalie skates. (xxx, graf, rbk, ccm etc.) They brought up an interesting point I never considered.

Maximum Edge sharpens the skates for the Plymouth Whalers goalies who are both using XXX's. They said that these skates are only a few months old but look completely trashed. Nothing structuraly wrong with them, but the insides of the cowlings are all discoloured from the condensation that builds up between the cowling and boot between games. It seems there is a layer of goop and mold which is clearly visible through the cowling and isn't accesible to clean it out.

Just a caution for anyone who might be considering XXX's for their next skate and cares about such things.

I tried them on for one practice.Becaus ei work int he proshot so i took my size and tried them on. they suck dude.

they have hoels ont he bottom(for sweat drips) or somthing and your feet freeze.The plastic is hard to clean out.. I dint like them neather did the other goalie on my team so id addvise people not to buy them.

They ditched the perf steel I see..

I'm hearing some interesting (BAD) rumours about this...

1) The perforated steel blades were warping during manufacturing so they went back to the solid blade on all of the preorder skates...without any notification to the buyers.

2) Now that some of the preorder skates are now making their way into their new owners hands...they are still showing up with warped steel!

Guess they still haven't sorted out the manufacturing in China. Bad news putting a brand new product on the market with all they hype surrounding it and not pre inspecting it before it leaves the plant.

The problem is that the plastics in the scallops were warping the steel. They took it out and will be solid, as well as a different profile on the steel. NBH will take care of it.

They took the scallops out because after a period of time the plastic scallops were seperating from the steel due to the constant change in temperature that the plastic goes thru. The steel is fine. It amazes me how a product that is not even out in the market can get so bashed because of the old " I heard from someone that....."

Actually, they are out on the market. Just only in "D" width's. Again, due to production problems they have been unable to keep up with demand so they are shipping standard "D" widths first. Many stores have 'em in stock now. "E" and "EE" widths won't be available until March 2006 though...

Bear in mind those are "retail" skates. The pro's / semi pro's have been in them since the beginning of the season. Case in point; Both Plymouth Whalers goalies as I previously mentioned. So there is some history available for them even if it is brief at this point.