Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeydots

Hand Skin Problems

I have two sons playing youth hockey (squirt and mite). My squirt has developed what seem to be eczema on his hands, wrists and shins. His hands peel and crack until they bleed and hurt him very much. Our doctor has given him ointments which seem to keep it in check, but does not cure it. I think it is due to his sweat. Is this common? I'm new to youth hockey (3 years, never played as a kid) and have never seen this. Will the newer moisture-wicking equipment (gloves and pads) help this problem? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Could this be a bacterial infection from the bacteria living in your kids' sweaty gloves? It's not uncommon for people to get staph infections from their equipment. Lots of kids never air out their gear, so they become host to colonies of bacteria. This sort of infection put one of my assistant coaches in the hospital.

It could be a fungus. Throw away the gloves and get new ones and see if it helps.

You can get them santized at Esporta or Sports wash places.

We dry them on a rack after each practice and game. They were new gloves this season, just cheap ones. During the Christmas tourny (6 games in 3 days) they looked really bad. I didn't know how common this was.

I've had something similar happen to me. When the temperature goes down for the first couple of weeks, my skin gets really dry. This year it was really bad and the skin on my hands, elbows and knees started to crack a bit. Once the sweat got in there I ended up with some sort of rash from it. I ended up cleaning my gear and putting it in the freezer for a bit to kill anything growing in there. I then used a medicated cream to kill the rash and treat the dry skin. This was about 2 weeks ago and everything is fine now, no reoccurrence of the rash anywhere.

here is a few things you should look into... sprayfresh and these days i also use a pair of thin cotton gloves under my hockey gloves to help it from building large amounts of sweat during the game. you can find them in most drugs stores under the womens section and they are easy to wash after each game. the ones i have are meant for people who apply lotion on their hands during sleep.

Yes, you might want to look into pads/gloves with anti-microbial liners.

Look into SaniSport and clean your equipment.

Let me ask you this - does he wear long-sleeved shirts and pants under his equipment? That would help because his skin won't be in direct contact with the gear.

I used to have a very similiar problem. Wasnt exactly eczema - but i used to get a itchy rash where ever the equipment was ---i used to lend my equipment out to people and the doctor said this might be behind the problem. I changed most of my equipment--- I where long track pants under my gear and a long sleeve t shirt. With regards to my hands i make sure no one wears any of my equipment -- especially my gloves-- only my sweat in my equipment - and i make sure to air them out when im on the bench and after every game. Also eczema could just be from having bad skin and not from the hockey gear --- the reason y it gets worst after his hockey games is that cold weather --the rink-- makes the condition ALOT worst. Get some medical cream and use it everyday.

Ben

He does wear long sleeved shirts and used to wear socks to his knees, but decided they were no longer cool. We will be moving back to the long socks. We use the doctor's prescribed cream twice a day now. Any thoughts on the new moisture-wicking gloves? Do they work, or is it just a gimmick?

No, they do have an effect. If your son has a really serious problem i doubt they would completely get rid of it, but the liners in the gloves and such should work pretty well.

And long socks aren't cool? :lol:

I had something similar as a kid, it was on my elbows. It was caused by an allergic reation to the mold growing in my elbow pads. A liberal dousing of Lysol after each use killed most of the mold, but ultimately I replaced the pads. Once I got new pads, my skin healed pretty quickly.

I would rotate your gloves and equipment and keep it as dry as possible.

boot dryers work great. I have had it on my hands at one time My dermatologists

Diagnosis it as sweaters rash!!!

Thanks for all the feed-back. We will try all of the suggestions and see what works, plus continue with the Doc's cream. This is a great web-site. Full of good info and good humor. Glad I was turned on to it.

not to overly alarm you.. but something you should be aware of...

a few years back in the NHL, a few (may be 1) players in the nhl had flesh eating disorder after after they cut their finger, and stuck it in their hockey glove.

reneberg or belfour?

so you gotta keep your stuff clean

not to overly alarm you.. but something you should be aware of...

a few years back in the NHL, a few (may be 1) players in the nhl had flesh eating disorder after after they cut their finger, and stuck it in their hockey glove.

reneberg or belfour?

so you gotta keep your stuff clean

Renberg. There was discussion that they may have to amputate his arm to prevent it from spreading.

one more idea i thought of is wear another pair of moisture wicking gloves, under the hockey gloves, e.g. just a pair of white fabric gloves that are treated with some antibacterial stuff

Id give your gloves a good cleaning like evryone else said, and maybe look into some gloves with anti-bacterial lining I know eagles have a palm like that you can get put in...Right after you get done playing getting your kids to give there hands a good washing(like 2min) with warm water and lots of soap will help as well...Also febreeze has a product spray now that has anti-bacterial stuff in it and gives them a decent smell...I started using this on my gloves and it seems to help out.

Let me ask you this - does he wear long-sleeved shirts and pants under his equipment? That would help because his skin won't be in direct contact with the gear.

I can suggest this HIGHLY to anyone thinking about it.

I use long sleeve and long leg under armor. Much more comfortable and never have any problems with bacteria etc.

I can't stand my skin touching my equipment. If I forget to pack my under armor, I can't play unless I make it to the pro shop for another set.

It may be a total mental thing but it works great for me.