Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Geeno_56

Guitar stuff or what ever you play

actually have a seymour duncan humbucker, i cant remember what it is, you can have it if you pay for shipping, i really have no need for it, My old set up was a Duncan Invader at the bridge and a Jazz at the neck so its probably the jazz since it doesnt have those allen wrench screws on it so its probably and most likely the Jazz pickup, i loved it for rythm sounds. not posting to sell just saying if you want it and i dont want it you can mess with it.

Wow. Thanks for the offer. I'll pm ya and we can discuss.

I've never heard a solid state pre-amp that has decent distorted tone. I had an old Music Man combo with SS-pre and tube power, but it only sounded decent with a tune preamp into the return of the effects loop. I have heard tube pre's with SS power amps that sounded great. Then again, a mesa triaxis sounds great with just about any type of power amp.

That is because they do not exist! :biggrin:

The simpler the better in my opinion! I play through an Orange AD-30 plugged into a marshall cab with greenbacks. My two channel amp was built by a friend and it is basically tuned to sound like a slightly more aggressive fender twin and the dirty channel runs on el-34's and it is somewhere between marshall gain and Mesa gain. Both are point to point and hand wired. Love my girls. Now I just need to find a good inexpensive bluesy/raw sounding semi hollow body that I can put a hot p90 in the neck and my Tom Anderson level 3 hot humbucker in the bridge. :biggrin:

The AVT50 is a hybrid. Certainly not the tone of a real tube amp but still better than my Vox which ironically is also a hybrid. I believe that the AVT has a tube in the Pre-amp while the Vox has it in the Power Amp or something or other. The problem I had with the Vox is that it's a modeling amp. Shouldn't have bought it in the first place but was just getting back into playing guitar and it seemed like a decent way to go for a start.

I like the AVT quite a bit actually but it's lacking a bit of gain which I fixed by using an OD pedal. I've ordered a Hardwire Metal Distortion to see what it's gonna be like. I've read really good things about it and some bad things too so I'll just judge for myself. May upgrade later on this year to an all tube Blackstart HT-5 or something, then again, a lot will depend on the Hardwire's performance. I know that purists usually like the amps distortion better but from the samples I've heard so far, it actually suits my bedroom guitarist needs.

Edited by hamstercaster

Can't believe I haven't posted on this thread.

My guitar rig I'm still putting together (again)...I had a bunch of gear and sold it off when I started playing hockey, then got the bug again last fall. Right now I've got a Musicman Silhouette that I've been trying lots of different pickups in (currently Dimarzio Area 67 neck/middle and VV Solo bridge...but I've got a set of Mariposa Rose single coils on the way and a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 waiting to install as well). For amps I've got a little Fender Mustang and just picked up a Fender Champion 600 5w tube amp...but I might try and swing a trade for a Blackstar HT-5. Haven't picked out pedals yet but I generally like an OD/Distortion and a Delay. The Hardwire Valve Distortion sounds great and the matching delay is good as well. My old guitarist uses them and seems to really like them.

Drums are my main instrument, used to play in rock bands all around town. Currently have a Mapex Pro M kit with Saluda cymbals. Barely play them anymore as I'm in an apartment and they live at my folks' house...but some day we'll be reunited, and maybe if I get bored with hockey I'll get back into rock bands.

P1020002.jpg

Kit1-1.jpg

I used to have an old Valvestate amp, it wasn't bad. It wasn't a real deal though. I really like the technology Peavey has in their Transtube amps, but I don't think they've mastered it quite yet. The Sansamp stuff is REALLY good too. I'd be curious to hear an amp based around those Character pedals (the Vox sounds identical to a tube amp).

The Blackstars look really sweet. I know 5W is about as loud as I can get in my apartment, and at about half volume. They sound like a well dialed in Marshall/Mesa hybrid. The only thing I wonder about is how they get so much gain out of a single 12AX7, which makes me wonder if they don't have some other kind of clipping or circuitry in there.

In the preamp it's got one tube, a lot like other little tube amps...the Mesa Dual Rec has 5 and the Marshall 900 has 4. Lots of high gain amps have several preamp tubes for additional gain stages, but that Blackstar manages to get a lot of gain out of one tube. Maybe because their background is pedals rather than amps so they came at it from a different design. Either way, that amp plus a mild overdrive to boost it would be an absolute KILLER setup. I'm trying to score one on Craigslist but need to find another $200 :P

The Blackstars look really sweet. I know 5W is about as loud as I can get in my apartment, and at about half volume. They sound like a well dialed in Marshall/Mesa hybrid. The only thing I wonder about is how they get so much gain out of a single 12AX7, which makes me wonder if they don't have some other kind of clipping or circuitry in there.

I believe there is some diode clipping, like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Can't believe I haven't posted on this thread.

My guitar rig I'm still putting together (again)...I had a bunch of gear and sold it off when I started playing hockey, then got the bug again last fall. Right now I've got a Musicman Silhouette that I've been trying lots of different pickups in (currently Dimarzio Area 67 neck/middle and VV Solo bridge...but I've got a set of Mariposa Rose single coils on the way and a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 waiting to install as well).

My main guitar is a Musicman Silhouette Special. By far the best playing neck I've ever played. Not cheap, though! I haven't swapped any pickups yet. The bridge hummer is pretty anemic for anything heavy, but it does the job for non-heavy stuff. I just use a different guitar if I want heavier. How have those other pickups sounded? Drastic change?

I'd love to get the older model Steve Morse. I played a neighbors and I couldn't believe how many different sounds that thing could generate.

The Eddie V.H.'s are awesome, too but I"m not about to fork out that much cash for a guitar any time soon. (close to $2k or more for those not in the know.)

In the preamp it's got one tube, a lot like other little tube amps...the Mesa Dual Rec has 5 and the Marshall 900 has 4. Lots of high gain amps have several preamp tubes for additional gain stages, but that Blackstar manages to get a lot of gain out of one tube. Maybe because their background is pedals rather than amps so they came at it from a different design. Either way, that amp plus a mild overdrive to boost it would be an absolute KILLER setup. I'm trying to score one on Craigslist but need to find another $200 :P

Have you guys seen these? http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-15.html

There's one for sale locally on CL for $700. I am sooooo tempted.

I liked the 67's but got the Mariposas for more clarity in the quack positions. Of course they're pretty noisy so I'm going to rip my guitar apart and reshield the whole thing and hope for the best. The Lil 59 didn't sound good at all, very muffled, so I'm going to put the VV Solo back in, which sounds fat enough for rock and roll but has good clarity clean and is noiseless. Great pickup.

And a shame that the Blackstar HT-5 got sold while I was waiting for my paycheck, so I picked up a used Digitech RP355 to mess around with in the meantime. So far the effects sound beautiful but the amps are just okay. Stupid tiny apartment necessitating a quiet rig.

The AVT50 is a hybrid. Certainly not the tone of a real tube amp but still better than my Vox which ironically is also a hybrid. I believe that the AVT has a tube in the Pre-amp while the Vox has it in the Power Amp or something or other. The problem I had with the Vox is that it's a modeling amp. Shouldn't have bought it in the first place but was just getting back into playing guitar and it seemed like a decent way to go for a start.

I like the AVT quite a bit actually but it's lacking a bit of gain which I fixed by using an OD pedal. I've ordered a Hardwire Metal Distortion to see what it's gonna be like. I've read really good things about it and some bad things too so I'll just judge for myself. May upgrade later on this year to an all tube Blackstart HT-5 or something, then again, a lot will depend on the Hardwire's performance. I know that purists usually like the amps distortion better but from the samples I've heard so far, it actually suits my bedroom guitarist needs.

t is hard to get the gain most want without cranking a tube amp and getting some speaker distortion as well. The grunge pedal was always a good one for crunchy gain. Otherwise try out the Mesa pedals. They are essentially a mesa tube pre-amp and they scream!

check it out

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1069273

Edited by skyscrape

I had one of the original v-twins (serial #50), fantastic pedal. I would prefer the rack mount to the pedal though as you get a full set of knobs for each channel.

I had one of the original v-twins (serial #50), fantastic pedal. I would prefer the rack mount to the pedal though as you get a full set of knobs for each channel.

I agree! The only problem is the only one I found for sale was 699 used(due to not being made anymore).

I have the Bottle Rocket which is the single channel version and that thing cranks as well, but it is much more of a one trick pony.

I love my v-twin. I like that it even has jacks for using a channel switch pedal or something like a rockman midi octopus.

Got my Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion last week. Used it a couple of times already and I must say that I'm quite happy with the result. I can have some very good distortion levels even at low volumes which is what I was looking for when I purchased it. Very happy with the purchase. However, it needs a bit of a boost for soloing but I don't solo much cause I just plain suck so it's not a problem for me. Either way, most people will use a clean boost or other types of boost for soloing no matter what amp or distortion pedal they use anyway.

Got my Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion last week. Used it a couple of times already and I must say that I'm quite happy with the result. I can have some very good distortion levels even at low volumes which is what I was looking for when I purchased it. Very happy with the purchase. However, it needs a bit of a boost for soloing but I don't solo much cause I just plain suck so it's not a problem for me. Either way, most people will use a clean boost or other types of boost for soloing no matter what amp or distortion pedal they use anyway.

My Mesa has a "solo" switch and knob, step on the switch and the volume goes up (or down) based on how you have that knob set. I've also used an old digitech bifet preamp pedal, eq pedal or a tubescreamer knockoff for boosts. The switch on the amp is nice as it doesn't add in any noise and is just the same tone, just louder.

The Geeeetars. Haven't played much since graduating college and getting a job, but still have all of them except the Eclipse.

Nice, I have the same SRC but with Duncans and the same Eclipse but kept the EMG's, I'll try to take a pic tonight! Liking how you changed all the hardware to black on the SRC.

Nice, I have the same SRC but with Duncans and the same Eclipse but kept the EMG's, I'll try to take a pic tonight! Liking how you changed all the hardware to black on the SRC.

Good to see another ESP fan on the boards!

Love the SRC's. Without a doubt my favorite guitar that I own. I had actually been looking for one to black out when this one popped up on eBay. All blacked out, with EMGs ready to rock, so I jumped on it.

I'd love to get my hands on a sonic blue SRC some day. Still kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were first released.

And I actually got the Eclipse with the Duncans stock. They offered both an EMG and a Duncan version back in '05 I believe.

Here's the two guitars I have left, sold both my Jackson's a couple years back and have stuck with these.

DSCN0680.jpg

One of my buddies used to be endorsed by ESP up until a couple years ago when he switched to Jackson, he had all 4 original colorways of the SRC, but the white and sonic blue were both stolen while on tour! Such a bummer, one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen, hoping someday I can snag a white one.

Edited by cemetery

I'm a bass player myself. Current lineup from my favourite down:

1. 1993 Fender Jazz (American). Swapped out the stock pickups for a nice set of Bartolinis. I'm a self-taught player and I taught myself using a borrowed bass. Once I deemed myself worthy of a better instrument I started shopping around. Found that I liked J-Basses. I found this one on kijiji for $650. Went to pick it up and the guy gave it to me for $550. Took it in to my dad's friend who runs a local music shop, cleaned it up, checked all the wiring, everything was perfect. First bass I bought for myself and I still love how versatile it is and it's still my go to bass when I play shows and record.

2. 2009 Sterling by Musicman Stingray Ray34. Haven't touched the pickups, but I did swap the strings for some Rotosound Roundwounds. I play this one whenever I play anything punk or ska related. Wish I could afford a real Stringray but for the money this thing sounds pretty close to that nice real Stingray tone.

3. 1974/75 Gibson Ripper. Originally my dad's but he passed it along to me when he picked up a new Gibson T-Bird. Not my favourite guitar to play but I do like sounds I can get from it when I'm playing some older bands music (Beatles, The Who, etc.). Still prefer my Fender over it in the end, but I do bust it out every now and then.

Edited by twistoffate19