Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Geeno_56

Guitar stuff or what ever you play

"Mustang Sally" is a nightmare tune when played in a bar band, and it usually goes on for waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. For me, Wilson Pickett is the ONLY person who should sing that song, and it should have gone to his grave when he died.

"Mustache Sally", "Brown Eyed Squirrel", and "Love Shack" are songs that NEVER need to be played in a bar band EVER again!!!

As far as my current guitar gear goes, everything is either something I have built or rescued from the dead. My pride and joy is a Les Paul Studio that was airbrushed with my old Muse (namesake for the "B" side of my single "Holla (fo a Dolla)" ), was stolen, then repainted and otherwise mutilated, but I brought it back from the dead, and it has a rare maple neck! I also have a mahogany Wolfgang-shaped body with a Warmoth LP (boat back) birds eye maple neck, and I painted it pink and it says "Cotton Candy is Tasty" (long story about Cotton Candy), with a Duncan Custom Custom and a 1980's Floyd Rose on it. My rig was a Pod Pro with a rack mount tube power section and a Mesa Boogie 4x10" cabinet. Now I play through an Epiphone Valve Jr. I had heavily modded. I used to own a '67 335ES, a '54 Strat and several Les Paul Customs (including one identical to what Ace Frehley played back in the day), but the economy called and wanted to steal my stuff. My tour didn't pan out like I had thought it would have and had to liquidate :(

As far as my current guitar gear goes, everything is either something I have built or rescued from the dead. My pride and joy is a Les Paul Studio that was airbrushed with my old Muse (namesake for the "B" side of my single "Holla (fo a Dolla)" ), was stolen, then repainted and otherwise mutilated, but I brought it back from the dead, and it has a rare maple neck!

I have a 76 Les Paul Deluxe with a maple neck. I've owned it almost 20 years and never had to adjust the truss rod. A lot of the purists hate them but they are great workhorses.

I have a 76 Les Paul Deluxe with a maple neck. I've owned it almost 20 years and never had to adjust the truss rod. A lot of the purists hate them but they are great workhorses.

I could buy and sell those (with the maple neck and boards) every day for $500 until Zakk Wilde and Buckethead started to play those guitars. Then they jumped in value!!!!

I could buy and sell those (with the maple neck and boards) every day for $500 until Zakk Wilde and Buckethead started to play those guitars. Then they jumped in value!!!!

I had three deluxes and paid $300, $500 and $500 for them in the early to mid 90s. I see people getting $2500 now for ones like the 73 that I had. Honestly, the new ones play and sound better than most of those old ones anyway. I don't understand paying as much for them as you would for a new standard. I have a 2011 traditional pro that is outstanding. All I have done is upgrade to orange drop caps because the ceramics were not right.

I had three deluxes and paid $300, $500 and $500 for them in the early to mid 90s. I see people getting $2500 now for ones like the 73 that I had. Honestly, the new ones play and sound better than most of those old ones anyway. I don't understand paying as much for them as you would for a new standard. I have a 2011 traditional pro that is outstanding. All I have done is upgrade to orange drop caps because the ceramics were not right.

IMO, between '95-99 was when Gibson made their best guitars, though anything done after 1988 was better than 1969-1987. Can you say ten piece body (from the pancake body era)?

IMO, between '95-99 was when Gibson made their best guitars, though anything done after 1988 was better than 1969-1987. Can you say ten piece body (from the pancake body era)?

The new stuff is build as well as anything they have ever made, especially the Historics. If they still had access to Brazillian Rosewood or old growth Honduran Mahogany, those would be even better than the old ones. Nobody can hear the difference between multiple piece bodies and since piece bodies. There is more variation from one piece of wood to the next than you will get from joining the wood. Hell, 335s are multiply lamination, and always have been. I don't agree with everything they did in the Norlin era but the multipiece necks and volutes addressed the neck breakage issues pretty well. Unfortunately, purists don't care about anything other than the specs being different from the holy grail 59s.

The new stuff is build as well as anything they have ever made, especially the Historics. If they still had access to Brazillian Rosewood or old growth Honduran Mahogany, those would be even better than the old ones. Nobody can hear the difference between multiple piece bodies and since piece bodies. There is more variation from one piece of wood to the next than you will get from joining the wood. Hell, 335s are multiply lamination, and always have been. I don't agree with everything they did in the Norlin era but the multipiece necks and volutes addressed the neck breakage issues pretty well. Unfortunately, purists don't care about anything other than the specs being different from the holy grail 59s.

The biggest thing about the '59 'burst is that there were not many made. Yes, they are great axes, but what made them special was the sheer lack of numbers. People forget that the LP was discontinued for a short time in favour of the SG (which was the LP replacement).

Multi-ply lamination is the ONLY way to make a 335; as if it were carved, the guitar would cost $10k in it's simplest form.

What people don't remember, either is that it takes so long for solid pieces of wood to NOT want to be a tree any longer. Let's face it- multi piece necks and bodies are FAR more stable than larger pieces of wood!!! it's also cheaper...

The biggest part of why the modern ones are better IS the fact that the wood is dried better than in the past. It just seemed that QC was far better in '95-99, and 1992 LP's are very nice, as well. But 9/10 guitars made in the past 25 years are better than the oldies, quality-wise speaking. Manufacturing process are simply better.

Sales sucked on the Les Paul, that's why they were discontinued. Funny thing is that Les demanded that they take his name off the SG style. Gibson makes the Midtown as a chambered semi-hollow. They're actually a lot cheaper than the laminated models. CNC routers make it a lot less labor intensive than a generation ago.

A friend of mine owns a guitar company and he made 5 '59 Les Paul replicas a couple years ago. They are a sweet sounding guitar. I am still playing my Carparelli LP knockoff but it's a great guitar for the cash. I've sold off most of my gear over the years but still hang on to my Mexican Fat Strat, LP knockoff, 2 Washburn acoustics, and my Vox Valvetronix 40+. That's more than I need anymore.

TGP is "The Gear Page", a website discussing high end gear, Robben Ford and Mustang Sally.

heh yeah thanks for the clarification for wranger

like i said, i didn't mean it in an offensive way

anyways, i got out of the gear collecting thing a few years ago but i was really into it when i was in college and parents footed the bill for everything else. here are some pics of set ups I used to rock at house parties and stuff. my favorite amp was my Shiva 6L6 but the thing was overkill so I got rid of it.

i don't play much anymore these days unless it's my acoustic but if i were to pick up the guitar again i'd probably grab a peavey classic 30 and another les paul standard in addition to my homemade strat copy. i'm not picky when it comes to guitars' years and stuff.

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/captdickweed/library/?sort=3&page=1

oh god this thread is giving me that itch again especially now that i have a good job and money to spare...

time to peruse craigslist to see what killer deals i can snag.

A friend of mine owns a guitar company and he made 5 '59 Les Paul replicas a couple years ago. They are a sweet sounding guitar.

There are probably ten times as many 59 replicas floating around as there are originals. Some of them are fantastic; Yarron, Max, Derrig, etc...

And I am actually considering one of those Bulldog LP kits. I have seen some REALLY nice builds from those. You pay for them (especially if you want a one piece neck, real figured top rather than veneer over unfigured maple top, etc.), but I have seen a few really, really nice ones built. I would probably see if I couldn't find an NOS maple neck with maple fingerboard and build a Zakk Wylde replica, minus Gibson inlay and even not do the peg head.

My favourite pu in an LP? An EVH Frankenstein, as it is a PAF rip off.

Edited by bunnyman666

heh yeah thanks for the clarification for wranger

like i said, i didn't mean it in an offensive way

Hard to take offense at something when I don't know what it is.

I'm usually not easily offended, except by Chadd.

Sold my gold strat that just never sounded anywhere near as good as it looked and then bought a Mesa Roadster. Four channels of 100 watt mayhem and madness on the way.

I quit live performance with drums in August. I then was in a recording project over the last seven years that died in October. I get a text from my song writing collaborator today that a guitar player and his "singing" bass player wants to get together on Saturday.

I haven't played seriously in a month. I also cut my thumb on my drumming lead hand (left) in a severe manner. My thumb has had a bit of trouble since the cut healed gripping the stick. This is the stick that grips the lead stick that hits my hi hats and ride cymbal.

What do I do? I am thinking just try and play and if it's right, then it's meant to be...

Ovation sales have been declining for years, that was bound to happen. Nobody buys the high end models anymore and almost everyone has their budget models produced overseas. Fender also sold off the Guild brand a week or two after that announcement.

Sold my gold strat that just never sounded anywhere near as good as it looked and then bought a Mesa Roadster. Four channels of 100 watt mayhem and madness on the way.

i had a road king 2 for a bit and wow was it overkill. mesa makes some killer stuff but after a while i just wanted simplicity more than anything.

i had a road king 2 for a bit and wow was it overkill. mesa makes some killer stuff but after a while i just wanted simplicity more than anything.

Lots of options but I set things and leave them. I can see how you could get too distracted by tweaking everything, though.

Ovation sales have been declining for years, that was bound to happen. Nobody buys the high end models anymore and almost everyone has their budget models produced overseas. Fender also sold off the Guild brand a week or two after that announcement.

I've always like Ovation but they weren't warm enough for me to ever buy one. I didn't hear about Fender. It's just interesting to see how these companies change and if they can adapt to the changing times.

Has anyone checked out the GFS Earl Slick guitars? The price looks right. I have tried lots of GFS parts and liked them a LOT. First, I gots to pay off the washing machine and get goalie stuff first.