Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

Not to hijack the thread, but - do you guys recommend doing this? I've been thinking about it, since my LHS has left-over Tack 1152s for like $150... Compared to roller hockey skates, (current or past), do you feel any differences/downsides?

Not to hijack the thread, but - do you guys recommend doing this? I've been thinking about it, since my LHS has left-over Tack 1152s for like $150... Compared to roller hockey skates, (current or past), do you feel any differences/downsides?

If it's a skate you are happy using, and you can do it for a saving, yeah i think it's worth doing. I end up spending a little more because i prefer the fit of the bauer ice boot to any of the inlines on offer....so far.

Also you have to realise that it is getting harder to find the separate chassis, so if you can put the package together go for it.

103806639_02de877f51_o.jpg

My skates: Bauer 8000, Sher-wood E frame (aka redstar e-frame), Rinkrat Hotshots 78A + 80A

103806638_1acaec2719_o.jpg

My Bro's skates: Easton 1100, Sherwood E frame (redstar..), Factory z-rated.

I had the factorys too, but destroyed them after one game ;) .

sorry for poor pic quality, just taken on my phone.

those are some nice skates you guys have. i wish i had some custom skates. my old ones are so heavy. i had mine done back in the early 90's.

and to alostsok, it depends on how you like the feel of ice boots. i like the fit of them on my feet better than most roller boots because of the stiffness. it costs more, but it is worth it for the comfort. the only downside i would see is the price. you'll have to buy a chassis, bearings, and wheels along with the boot and pay to get them mounted. it can add up. but if you love the comfort and performance, it'll be worth it.

It also varies on which setup you want to run with. If anyone out there is fond of the old flat 76mm frames, hockeyoutlet.com has Final Force frames for 10.00 a pair right now. That helps keep the cost WAYYYY down, if it's a setup you can live with or prefer. Those frames are on par with other top of the line flat frames from back in the day.

No picture, but I have a pair of old Easton Ultralight boots with the Bauer Rocker Chassis on it. The wheel setup mimics my ice skate profile, and I just use them to fool around on the street in front of my house. They let me get in a quick "sticks and pucks (ball)" session without planning my whole day around the local rink schedule.

I had issues with the composite outsole of the 1152. Don't get me wrong, they probably make the skate as light as it is. But the outer part of it chipped badly (around the front edges), presumably from shots/stick whacks. Also the sole eventually hairline cracked across the front part of the chassis where they are riveted into the skate (I'll do my best to get a pic of this if you wish). Nothing that effects the skate performance drastically but I could foresee a future problem which is why I bought the 652s. Yes a "lower model" skate than the 1152s and a tad heavier, but I've been satisfied thus far.

Also I became dissatisfied withe the Tour Redline chassis mounting system. The bolts kept coming loose even after LocTite and eventually replaicng the bolts. I absolutely worship the RedStar one-boly system....very minimal loosening problems.

All in all I love the CCM Tacks lineup and I've owned 3 pairs (first pair was 752 w/Sure grip 405 chassis). I'd love to find some brand new pre-2000 models.

for you guys with the straight frames like the hummer, have you ever used the hilo system? ive been using hilo my whole life im scared to try anything different i was just curious because i hear people raving about the labeda hummer and i wanted to give it a try.

Hey, I've just got a pair of S500 carbons converted, and i was just wondering if theres anything you guys have done to stop them getting ripped up. I've already started gettin wrecked after one session!

The leather on them is so soft, any fall and im screwed....

.... any suggestions?