Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

On the subject of custom skates...

How big a differential do most of you feel is acceptable in terms of frame placement on the boot?

Just had some v10.0's converted with a Vanguard frame, and I feel like the frames are close to a ½inch too forward on the booth.

When I say "feel" it's in visual contrast with frame placement on stock Mission skates.

I know it's okay if the frame isn't absolutely perfect down to the last millimeter, heck even stock icestocks have ever so slightly misaligned holders, but when is too much too much?

If the front wheel is too far forward, then the skates feel like speed skates with no maneuverability. I came across this by mounting A8 sprungs on my size 10 grafs. I am waiting on some A7's now.

Take a look at off the shelf setups and compare how much the front wheel extends past the toe cap to your current setup.

When i've had frames mounted on my skates I always try to get the front wheel almost even with the tip of the front of the boot or a smidge ahead of it (not much), and not much past the back of the boot. Obviously I needed to search for the perfect sized frame vs my size boot. Thats how i've always felt comfortable. You have to try them out don't get bias from the visual effect of the frame.

Edited by flyweightphantom

I would love to get a pair of Vapor XXXX's and convert them to inline. If I got the skates, would i just take them to my LHS with a chassis and have them mount it? Any ideas on how much it would be to do this?

Picked these up on a steal.

Someone had these done at the proshop and then never picked them up.

6 months later I stumble in and get them for 70.00 complete. The pumps still work and they are nice and broke in fit like a glove.

P1040311.jpg

here is oldtimers skates that he got me to post for him.... white9rbkqp1.jpg

SICK.... and this guy has a million custom skates already! :blink: :lol:

I haven't skated any of the RBK skates, but I will say...those look nice!

I would love to get a pair of Vapor XXXX's and convert them to inline. If I got the skates, would i just take them to my LHS with a chassis and have them mount it? Any ideas on how much it would be to do this?

I'm sure their is some variance, but from my personal experience...I had some ice blade holders removed and roller chassis mounted for $40. From what I read, that was pretty standard.

By any chance would anyone know the difference in length between a small vs medium vanguard chassis in inches or mm's? I have a size 8 flexlite 12 boot that I wanna mount a chassis on and I feel a small may be a better fit as I dont like my wheels to extend to far past both the front or back of the boot.

I just converted a pair of XXXX's. I cost me about $800 for everything.(Wheels, chasis, bearings, mounting etc.)

I have pictures but I dont know how to insert them on this site? Can i get some help?

I have pictures but I dont know how to insert them on this site? Can i get some help?

Find an image hosting site such as photobucket or something similar, then when you post a reply, hit "insert image" and follow the the little boxes and your done :)

that reminds me, still need to post pics the sprung mounted 1200c's I got from fatwabbit :D

Just had these done in the last few days. Takes me longer due to the lack of proper tools, visiting relatives and nagging wife (resolution: Pray for more patience). These are my backup skates, so i havent put any bearings... just wanted to see what they looked like with the all yellow scheme.

Had some extra washers installed at the back to create a little heel lift. Chassis installed with Tnuts and screws. You'll notice that I didnt fill in the existing holes either... couldnt be bothered as epoxy is pretty expensive around here.

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4859.jpg

Edited by fatwabbit

so-question:

with the t-nuts, do you guys try to hammer them into the footbed? or do you just get it threaded and as you tighten it, the teeth with sink in and it'll pull through?

im toying with the idea since the rivet machine at my work is too big to get close enough to put coppers on my chassis, i have all steel rivets right now and im not sure how well they'll hold.

what i did was this... after drilling the holes, i put a longer than much longer bolt thru the chassis into the hole, and then put the t-nut onto the bolt. Screw the bolt down, so that it 'locates' the t-nut, as well as drawing it into the hole. then remove the longer bolt, and then fix with the actual bolt. An extra step, but makes it easier since i have wierd hands that cannot contortionate to get way into the boot.

make sure you just lightly tighten the bolts, so that you can make minor adjustments. Once confirmed, then screw everything down tight.