Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

That indent was there in my XR5's with a factory-mounted chassis.

I think the step is taken up by the poly/felt inside, and the carbon fiber is probably a consistent thickness and takes the step.

That indent was there in my XR5's with a factory-mounted chassis.

I think the step is taken up by the poly/felt inside, and the carbon fiber is probably a consistent thickness and takes the step.

Is your chassis mounted on the indent?

Is your chassis mounted on the indent?

No, it bridged the indent. Holes in the outer edge under my big toe and on the indent under the ball of my foot. The HiLo holes run in a straight line (as you're seeing). Ice blade holders are more contoured and follow the perimeter of the outsole.

Put these together for a buddy today. Pro stock Scott Gomez Ribcor skatesB7BFAB95-BD0D-4CD2-B2FD-E65E77C4C4EA_zps

This is the exact setup that I want to do. My chassis are actually showing up on Friday. Did you have any problems fitting the 80mm wheels? Any rubbing?

Also, did you use the t-bolt set up or rivets? I've called like 5 different Shops here in MN (including total hockey) and none of them will rivet the chassis on there for me. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be awesome guys!!!

Started the conversion yesterday. Had my rivets removed by a pro shop. Put my Marsblade chassis on my skate where I think it should go, anddddddd only one hole per skate from my old holder lines up, haha. So I marked out about 12 new holes, and drilled. Used a 5/32 drill bit first, just in case for whatever reason the 3/16 was too big. Turns out 5/32 is definitely too small for #6 T Nuts to fit into, as I was unable to pull one into the hole (or push it in for that matter).

So tonight I'll be drilling out those holes again with the larger bit, and hopefully getting one skate mounted up. I just hope I measured and placed all the holes correctly and that everything will be balanced properly.

Edited by z1ggy

Having a problem with some of the t nuts spinning around when I go to drill in the screws. I tried to use pliers to make the cut off prong a bit sharper, but that didn't seem to help. It could be I drilled a few of the holes too big... but either way I may try to put some super glue on the t nut to see if that will hold them in place. Otherwise, I may only end up having 4 of the 6 holes in the chassis screwed down tightly/properly.

Any advice?

Started the conversion yesterday. Had my rivets removed by a pro shop. Put my Marsblade chassis on my skate where I think it should go, anddddddd only one hole per skate from my old holder lines up, haha. So I marked out about 12 new holes, and drilled. Used a 5/32 drill bit first, just in case for whatever reason the 3/16 was too big. Turns out 5/32 is definitely too small for #6 T Nuts to fit into, as I was unable to pull one into the hole (or push it in for that matter).

So tonight I'll be drilling out those holes again with the larger bit, and hopefully getting one skate mounted up. I just hope I measured and placed all the holes correctly and that everything will be balanced properly.

Yea one hole is about what i thought - which is good because id rather have two holes drilled than have to stretch out a bunch of holes.

Whichever measurement I said in the video, I actually went up this time by either 1/32 or 1/64. The reason being is that the tnuts from bolt depot are a little thicker than the ones from lowes/home depot.

Having a problem with some of the t nuts spinning around when I go to drill in the screws. I tried to use pliers to make the cut off prong a bit sharper, but that didn't seem to help. It could be I drilled a few of the holes too big... but either way I may try to put some super glue on the t nut to see if that will hold them in place. Otherwise, I may only end up having 4 of the 6 holes in the chassis screwed down tightly/properly.

Any advice?

Are you doing the conversion on makos or on bauer skates? The bauers have that little bit of felt at the bottom that helps from spinning, the makos just have carbon fiber, so they have a better chance to spin on you. Curl the outside of the tnuts slightly and it should help with keeping them in place. Also put your finger on the tnut and push until you get to a certain tightness - once its kinda snug itll catch and it wont spin anymore. I wouldnt use super glue though because then its kinda in there for good.

Maybe use a bit of some type of fabric or material around the tnut to keep it from spinning - that might do the trick.

I'm doing them on my Bauers, so it has that fabric. Weird because the front of the boot was fine, none of the t nuts spun around, but for some reason, almost all the ones in the rear are. I even tried holding the nut in place with pliers while I drilled but then instead of spinning, it just rose upward with the pressure from the screw coming up. I mean, super gluing them in and making them in for good is probably okay... I mean... I shouldn't need to replace t nuts ever again, regardless of chassis or holders being swapped back in.

But I'll try bending the corners in again a little more, or holding them in again with pliers. If that doesn't work.... might have to glue them in. Should be finishing up skate #2 tonight, although I'm having a hard time getting the very front 2 t nuts in near the toe box. Somehow got lucky and got the left boot ones in fairly fast... Struggled with the right ones for like 15 minutes before I gave up.

Edited by z1ggy

Any advice?

I don't understand what you mean by "drill in the screws". The T-nuts are threaded for a specific machine screw. If they're 6-32 T-nuts, then a 6-32 machine screw will screw into it with your fingers without any effort. On the other hand, if you're trying to force a sheet metal screw into a T-nut, or a wrong thread machine screw into it, you're looking for problems.

I use an electric screw driver to "drill" the screw into the T nut, yes I know they are threaded to match. I got #6-32 nuts and screws, that is not the issue. I suspect they are spinning because the left over cut prong part, just isn't gripping the sole of the skate.

Do you have any more t-nuts left?

Maybe cut some more and leave the prongs longer? I left mine about 1/8" long; they had been 3/8" long. It left enough to penetrate the synthetic felt and a bit of the poly in the footbed.

Oh yes, haha, I ordered 100 of them. I figured I'd do my Mako's later on once I buy the Mako III/IV or whatever comes out in a few years from Easton. I will try that though, thank you.

Did you have to hammer them in a little bit or anything so the t nut wasn't sticking up too far? I'm assuming if they stick up any, you would feel that through a footbed still.

Bauer x7.0, mission chassis, labeda gripper wheels. After much deliberation over whether to do them myself, I sent these off to a proshop to do them. Unfortunately when I received them back the job was done poorly. Sent them back to be repaired, and a good job done.

Only issue is how far forward they have been mounted. Has anyone skated on similar and how is it? For me it feels strange and not sure if I could get used to it.

b4892378972a58e73bd9d00e6f3d71f2.jpg

Did you have to hammer them in a little bit or anything so the t nut wasn't sticking up too far? I'm assuming if they stick up any, you would feel that through a footbed still.

Yes, I ended up using an 8" long dull punch to hammer down the edges that stuck up. I drilled my holes very snug, so the T-nuts (and the longer teeth) didn't snug up tight at first.

I could feel them through the footbeds. I had to hammer a couple different spots before they got comfy.

MThockeydad- I may have to end up doing that as well, a few of the back ones seem to stick up a bit. But, I should be finishing up the mounting this weekend! However, we are getting snow here today into tomorrow...So I won't be able to take them outside for a spin :(

Bauer x7.0, mission chassis, labeda gripper wheels. After much deliberation over whether to do them myself, I sent these off to a proshop to do them. Unfortunately when I received them back the job was done poorly. Sent them back to be repaired, and a good job done.

Only issue is how far forward they have been mounted. Has anyone skated on similar and how is it? For me it feels strange and not sure if I could get used to it.

2 things, 1. I think that chassis is too small for those skates. 2. if you are going to use that chassis, yes it looks to be mounted too far forward.

Done another conversion, this was few weeks ago. Thes were purchased from ebay for around £20 having hardly been worn. I'm loving a retro bit of hockey equipment at the moment. Got the chassis off a friend who had them mounted to a pair of nike quests which I had to remove and re-fit. I was worried the chassis was too small but they feel fine. Loving the stiffness of them! May have another pair but no chassis. I was considering doing a conversion with a full 80mm setup even though I've always used Hi-Lo?

4hppvxdv3snesor5g.jpg

• Like 1

2 things, 1. I think that chassis is too small for those skates. 2. if you are going to use that chassis, yes it looks to be mounted too far forward.

+1. Cant tell if the chassis is too small, but you definitely want it more towards the back of the skate.

It's the correct size chassis, but I'm getting them remounted further back.

179c31bd367645db39e6e7a31bef836e.jpg

Bauer x7.0, labeda grippers, mission hi Lo.

These are the same skates from my last post, got them redone and mounted further back. These are my old ice skates and they fit perfectly, so it's great I could convert them and continue using them.

• Like 1