Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

Lou-

It would help if you could show what you mean. I'm picturing that you just put two washers between the bolt and the t nut? But I don't see how that helps the t nut not spin around...Seems like it's needed because of how you said the outsole is so thin, the bottom of the t nut pokes through.

Outsole is thin, so the tube of the tnut pokes through and hits the shoulder of the nut.

If you add washers that have a big enough hole to fit around the tube of the tnut, the bolt can tighten the tnut fully.

If I had a tnut sticking through (after tightening with washers, I'd probably dremel it off flush)...unless the tube also fits inside the chassis hole.

Outsole is thin, so the tube of the tnut pokes through and hits the shoulder of the nut.

If you add washers that have a big enough hole to fit around the tube of the tnut, the bolt can tighten the tnut fully.

If I had a tnut sticking through (after tightening with washers, I'd probably dremel it off flush)...unless the tube also fits inside the chassis hole.

I thought about dremeling, but its just too many (~15-20), and then the threads get messed up just enough to make it a pain in the ass to screw in the bolt, so the oversize washers are fine.

If there were a way to do them quick I would but whatever. I checked everywhere for short t-nuts, but all I found was one that had a picture of both and im guessing they dont actually send both.

http://www.amazon.com/Prong-Nut-8-32-Tee-Qty/dp/B00BOEKQSM

(wtf is that? Which one am i getting?!!!?)

@Z1ggy

Ill post a pic when I get home tonight. Its weird because you need more oversize washers than youd think. At first it looked like 2 would have been more than enough, but I ended up using three big washers on most, and even 4 on the very front where the outsole is the thinnest.

Did you notice if the Edge holder's mount was a bit off?

I did not. Honestly, the holders were only on long enough to bake the skates haha.

Gentlemen, I need your guys' expert opinion.

I'm mounting inline frames on my Tacks ice boots. I've got the Humer Eviction, a Mag 76-80 Hi-Lo and a Redstar 72-80 Hi-Lo to choose from. I grew up on ice and that's where I learned to skate, still trying to fine-tune my inline stride. So with that in mind, what do you think the best bet is here?

Sell both the Hummer and the Redstar chassis and invest the money from the sale into either a Sprung or Marsblade chassis. Those two will give you a more ice like feeling than any flat chassis. I haven't used the Marsblade chassis, but those that have seem to like it a lot vs. the hi lo or hummer. I have used the Sprungs for several years and it definitely allows for an ice like toe kick, tighter turns and it's easier to stop vs. a flat chassis.

In that case, I'll just keep using these Fish BoneLite Pro's :)

That'd be awesome, I've never been able to give your guys' skates a try.

you should. Check out ice warehouse they always have the best deals on alkali ;)
  • Like 2

you should. Check out ice warehouse they always have the best deals on alkali ;)

That's seems to be the word around town ;)

Anyways, I'm going with the Hi-Lo Mag frame.. Weightlessness wins by default, should get them on tomorrow. Will upload pics when I can.

Sell both the Hummer and the Redstar chassis and invest the money from the sale into either a Sprung or Marsblade chassis. Those two will give you a more ice like feeling than any flat chassis. I haven't used the Marsblade chassis, but those that have seem to like it a lot vs. the hi lo or hummer. I have used the Sprungs for several years and it definitely allows for an ice like toe kick, tighter turns and it's easier to stop vs. a flat chassis.

I agree with Althoma , I come from a ice background & for many years found it hard to do a two footed hockey stop, that all changed with sprungs. Nothing wrong with ice boots either, I have MLX's & it's amazing, love the fit seems like they were made for roller , robust as.Try Justin's skates & then when you are not so much in a rush to get a pair get a pair of sprungs or mars blades & see the difference, you will never go back to rigid a again.

By the way I am 175 plb & run 2 82 a world cups in the middle & 2 78a splits at the end & I have plenty of grip & speed & only run 72mm wheels fantastic agility,another benefit of sprungs.

I still rock some old schools. Mission D-Limited boots #37 with the OG redstar magnesium chassis. That or my trusty Graf's with the old wicked light carbon chassis. Before the Graf's it was pure fly's with the carbon chassis which is basically a d-limited. Nothing new or fancy but I'm still happy. IMAG0449_zpsuuyik2qf.jpg

KORs with Sprungs taken when they were first mounted almost 2 years ago:

1ouexu.jpg

They're still stiff, but show wear now and I get some pinching near the baby toe when refereeing several games in them (they don't really bother me when playing less than 2 hours). They've now been relegated to my backup pair and for refereeing on smooth cement (so I don't have to constantly swap wheels on my main pair)

Easton Mako's with Sprungs mounted a few weeks ago. I've played and refereed several games in them and they're extremely comfortable with no pain points (love the ergonomic toe cap). After buying some Makos on clearance to use for ice and finding them so comfortable, I decided to try to find another pair for a good price to convert for roller. I managed to hunt down another pair on Kijiji that someone had worn a few times before deciding they weren't for him (he provided the receipt and he'd only bought them about 3 weeks before selling them to me - they were baked and sharpened once before I got them) and grabbed them at a price I couldn't pass up. They were in Montreal and I'm in Toronto, but the seller happened to live around the corner from my sister and brother in-law and my brother in-law was kind enough to pick them up. I then saw them over the Easter weekend when he was in town for a tournament in Toronto.

2rh5zyp.jpg

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1