Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Did you let him know you sharpened them 3/8"? If he thinks it's 1" for too long he'll continue to think he's right, not you.

How do you feel if I as a customer ask you to sharpen the front and back of the blade on my skates?

what do you mean by front and back. do you mean going front and then coming back like going both ways?

Did you let him know you sharpened them 3/8"? If he thinks it's 1" for too long he'll continue to think he's right, not you.

I hate that with a passion. I ask for 1", the LHS gives me 3/8" or 1/2", I can see it right away, I point it out, they tell me (i) that it is 1", or (ii) nobody uses 1", they refuse to do it right, and I have to go somewhere else to get it done right.

Or, my wife goes to do it, asks for 1", they tell her there is no such thing, they do 3/8", and they punch the skate sharpening card.

Yes, I know 1" is really flat, but we grew up with it, I like it, and it's what I'm used to. What's with the bait-and-switch?

I mean the very toe and heel of the skate where it curves upward. Some places will only sharpen up to where it curves upward and then stop. Both ways they go back and forth. Some just won't sharpen the whole blade.

Edited by flip12

I mean the very toe and heel of the skate where it curves upward. Some places will only sharpen up to where it curves upward and then stop. Both ways they go back and forth. Some just won't sharpen the whole blade.

well when your sharpen it tip of the toe to the end of the heel it rounds the blade out meaning it makes your blade look like bannana. some places do a few passes like that then sharpen the main area of the blade then final pass toe heel.

Did you let him know you sharpened them 3/8"?  If he thinks it's 1" for too long he'll continue to think he's right, not you.

I hate that with a passion. I ask for 1", the LHS gives me 3/8" or 1/2", I can see it right away, I point it out, they tell me (i) that it is 1", or (ii) nobody uses 1", they refuse to do it right, and I have to go somewhere else to get it done right.

Or, my wife goes to do it, asks for 1", they tell her there is no such thing, they do 3/8", and they punch the skate sharpening card.

Yes, I know 1" is really flat, but we grew up with it, I like it, and it's what I'm used to. What's with the bait-and-switch?

No worries, I don't do that to every customer. I knew this guy well. Yes, I told him and kind of explained what would happen if he had gone to that cut.

Did you let him know you sharpened them 3/8"?  If he thinks it's 1" for too long he'll continue to think he's right, not you.

No worries, I don't do that to every customer. I knew this guy well. Yes, I told him and kind of explained what would happen if he had gone to that cut.

Oh, no, I didn't mean you specifically, please don't take it that way! The posts between you two triggered something that has happened to me a lot in the last 2 years.

I guess I look like a beginner, and as Ti-Girl and hockeymom said, there was bias against my wife because of her gender.

That makes me mental, too. I get my skates sharpened at 3/4" and have had many people tell me I'm mistaken or tell me they don't even sharpen goalie skates that flat. It's usually only after I insist that they are sharpened how I like them.

sogaduch Posted on Jun 16 2006, 11:22 AM

well when your sharpen it tip of the toe to the end of the heel it rounds the blade out meaning it makes your blade look like bannana. some places do a few passes like that then sharpen the main area of the blade then final pass toe heel.

I think that's how my LHS did it. I see what you mean about it beginning to look like a banana. It didn't do that. Sometimes when I start on my toes I think I use that part of the blade. I don't have video of it to be sure, but it just bothers me when it's not sharpened that way. Essentially it doesn't really make a difference?

sogaduch Posted on Jun 16 2006, 11:22 AM

I think that's how my LHS did it. I see what you mean about it beginning to look like a banana. It didn't do that. Sometimes when I start on my toes I think I use that part of the blade. I don't have video of it to be sure, but it just bothers me when it's not sharpened that way. Essentially it doesn't really make a difference?

Well most of us have seen the bauer video and the one by Maximum Edge and there is no way in the world you can skate on the last half inch of blade either on the toe or heel, so the only time it really needs to be done is on the last couple of passes. That maintains the profile that you had put on the skate or what you may have had from the factory.

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

I started playing hockey when I was about 7 years old. Equipment didn't mean much to me and it's a good thing, because my parents are far from "well to do."

As I got into High School I started to pay a little more attention to equipment, but let go of it all when I stopped playing at 16-17ish. Now I'm 20 and I've started playing again, of my own accord and my own wallet. I've been out of touch with the retail side of hockey, and even when I was in touch with it, it was with a very light grasp.

On that note, here around St. Louis, Missouri, the LHS' that I frequent are not very pleasant. I find myself torn between wanting to go in and look and learn and try and feel and see all the great stuff, new stuff, new technology, new products, etc. and wanting to dodge the condescending, holier-than-thou attitude that the employees have. I feel like an idiot when I'm in those shops, like I can't ask a questions, at all, because it will be stupid or like whatever I know, or knew, about hockey and hockey equipment is null and void.

It's just not nearly as pleasant an experience as it should be and it dissapoints me. I wish it were more comfortable.

I'm going to vent a little bit here...sorry in advance

I've never heard (read) so many LHS horror stories in my life. I can't believe how inept some people can be.

As far as hollows go, if a kid does not know how to do different hollows then he's not allowed on the machine until we teach him. And Its so straightforward and simple my 11year old sister could grasp the concept; and the application of which can be explained if need be, but learn your job.

Whats worse though, is if a guy knows how to do what you ask for and then refuses for whatever reason. Its almost too frustrating to comprehend. Customer service has taken a serious dive in recent years. I don't understand how someone can be in a service industry and still not know how to treat people.

Ya there are lots of idiot consumers out there too, but as a retailer you have to deal with those people every day. Thats reality and thats life. That doesnt mean you have to take sh*t from everyone and always grin and bear it, but if you can't even be civil to those who are honestly looking for a little help then you're in the wrong business.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by the way, but if I came into your store and you were a jerk to me, I'd make a point to ensure you never get my business or the business of anyone I know ever again.

wheewww...thats a load off.

Edited by hockeyhair91

Anyone here have some bad experiences from the other side of the table?

I ordered a visor from my LHS on April 4th, told I would get a call in 2 weeks "for sure" to let me know if it's going to be a straight up order, or if I'm going to need to put down a deposit. 2.5 weeks go by and I call, and am treated rudely when I ask about my visor. I called again today after 3.5 weeks at about 11 in the morning, the guy said he's going to lunch but would call them as soon as he got back from lunch, find out what's up with my visor, then call me back. It's 5 o'clock, the store's closing, and I'm going to another game with my rusty old cage :rolleyes:

I just find it really hard to support my LHS when I could have bought the same thing online for 10 bucks less and had it in my hands a week ago........

To add to my LHS horror story, I got a call this week from them that my visor was in. I politely told him that I purchased a visor from a different store and have been playing with it for a month and a half. He offered me 10% off (still more expensive than what I paid at the other store) and told me he'd put it on hold for me for 3 days :rolleyes:

I ordered a visor from my LHS on April 4th, told I would get a call in 2 weeks "for sure" to let me know if it's going to be a straight up order, or if I'm going to need to put down a deposit. 2.5 weeks go by and I call, and am treated rudely when I ask about my visor. I called again today after 3.5 weeks at about 11 in the morning, the guy said he's going to lunch but would call them as soon as he got back from lunch, find out what's up with my visor, then call me back. It's 5 o'clock, the store's closing, and I'm going to another game with my rusty old cage  :rolleyes:

I just find it really hard to support my LHS when I could have bought the same thing online for 10 bucks less and had it in my hands a week ago........

To add to my LHS horror story, I got a call this week from them that my visor was in. I politely told him that I purchased a visor from a different store and have been playing with it for a month and a half. He offered me 10% off (still more expensive than what I paid at the other store) and told me he'd put it on hold for me for 3 days :rolleyes:

Don't blame the LHS. The F'n companies treat LHS's like sh1T, and the internet sites get first priority, fiirst for deliveries, etc.. The manufacturers are doing everything they can to drive the LHS's out of business. Your poor LHS prob tried to order for you but was given a back-order. It's a no-win for the LHS.

(Don't blame the LHS. The F'n companies treat LHS's like sh1T, and the internet sites get first priority, fiirst for deliveries, etc.. The manufacturers are doing everything they can to drive the LHS's out of business. Your poor LHS prob tried to order for you but was given a back-order. It's a no-win for the LHS.)

Are you for real????

There is no way a company like Bauer or any other would give prefernce to the companies that cause the most problems IE fit and returns form poor fits.

They may however give prefernce tot he larger box stores and the Buying groups like Source for Sports in Canada but as for a good shop in a good area with a good rep and in good standing with the accounting Dept will always get what they ordered first behine the Box and the Buying groups.

I ordered a visor from my LHS on April 4th, told I would get a call in 2 weeks "for sure" to let me know if it's going to be a straight up order, or if I'm going to need to put down a deposit. 2.5 weeks go by and I call, and am treated rudely when I ask about my visor. I called again today after 3.5 weeks at about 11 in the morning, the guy said he's going to lunch but would call them as soon as he got back from lunch, find out what's up with my visor, then call me back. It's 5 o'clock, the store's closing, and I'm going to another game with my rusty old cage  :rolleyes:

Don't blame the LHS. The F'n companies treat LHS's like sh1T, and the internet sites get first priority, fiirst for deliveries, etc.. The manufacturers are doing everything they can to drive the LHS's out of business. Your poor LHS prob tried to order for you but was given a back-order. It's a no-win for the LHS.

well if it was back- ordered shouldn't they have the courtesy of calling him and explaining that it is back- ordered instead of leaving him hanging for 3 weeks?

Priorities or not, a simple visor should not take 10 weeks to get. It's not like we're talking about finding a pair of Supreme One90's a week after they come out, it's an Itech visor that has been out for several years that isn't exactly flying off shelves. Itech must have been really slagging all the hockey stores, which is why the other one I went to got me the visor I wanted in about 2 weeks. Not only that, but they got me more than I wanted. I wanted an Itech HS22 straight cut tinted but I guess he forgot to write down straight cut on the order form, he wasn't sure which one I wanted so he ordered the straight cut and the pro wave one just in case.

It was nice of them to call me back, I guess, but 10 weeks? C'mon, I could have almost finished a semester of school in that time frame!

M/I has been out of stock on a lot of visors for months. They have no visors for the Combo Deluxe for ages. Part of the problem probably lies with the new logo of product as well as production problems. If the vendor does not have the product to ship to retailers, unless you are an NHL team, you are SOL.

I agree with the courtesy call to the customer. If I take a request for product, the customer will hear from me either way: either good news that the item is in stock and on the way or bad news that the vendor won't have product until a given date that customer service has provided for me. this is simply known as good business and service!