Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Ok, this has gone on long enough. The topic of a fitting fee has been beaten to death in the past and there are no new points being made. It's time to move along.

Customer: "how much are these water bottles?"

Me: "$4 each"

Customer (examines bottle closely, scratches chin) "are these BPA free?"

Me: "...I can't say for sure, but I doubt it.."

Customer: "ah...I'll just dehydrate this game" (puts bottle back on shelf)

Yeah, It's $4, and it's BPA-free. I've also got some fair-trade Red Bull and hemp stick tape if you like?

• Like 1

So, I have a somewhat fitting anecdote from today...

A kid comes in with his mom to look at the new Nexus stuff. I ask if they need help, he assures me that I can't help him. They've got the smartphone out, and are rifling through the various pieces of the line and checking prices against some online retailer or another. They seem shocked that the prices on the top-end stuff is the same in my store as it is online. Figuring they might be willing to buy a fair amount, I told them I'd give them a bit of a discount if they were looking at a set of the top end protective. So, they grab the sizes and models immediately (clearly homework was done). The mother asks if I would extend the discount to a new helmet. Why not. She gets this beaming look on her face like she won something...

...and the kid flips out. While standing against a backdrop of helmets that are stacked 8 feet high, he asks how he could possibly get a new helmet when he hasn't done any of the required "research" (while he gestures at me with his phone). I didn't know what I could say that wouldn't make me sound like an ass. It was then that I realized that the problem isn't that some people take the expertise of someone working in a shop (LHS or otherwise) for granted, but that maybe we've gotten to the point where it isn't even recognized to exist.

A kid comes in with his mom to look at the new Nexus stuff. I ask if they need help, he assures me that I can't help him. They've got the smartphone out, and are rifling through the various pieces of the line and checking prices against some online retailer or another. They seem shocked that the prices on the top-end stuff is the same in my store as it is online. Figuring they might be willing to buy a fair amount, I told them I'd give them a bit of a discount if they were looking at a set of the top end protective. So, they grab the sizes and models immediately (clearly homework was done). The mother asks if I would extend the discount to a new helmet. Why not. She gets this beaming look on her face like she won something...

...and the kid flips out. While standing against a backdrop of helmets that are stacked 8 feet high, he asks how he could possibly get a new helmet when he hasn't done any of the required "research" (while he gestures at me with his phone). I didn't know what I could say that wouldn't make me sound like an ass. It was then that I realized that the problem isn't that some people take the expertise of someone working in a shop (LHS or otherwise) for granted, but that maybe we've gotten to the point where it isn't even recognized to exist.

There are too many stores where it doesn't exist. I went into a local store (part of a chain that we've all heard of) looking for lacebite pads recently. The kid that was sharpening the skates told me that they didn't exist. Not that they didn't have any, but that there was no company that manufactured lacebite pads (Elite, G-Form, and Bunga are apparently figments of my imagination). The same store tried to sell me a Sweet Stick when I went in looking for a honing stone. Obviously there are still stores where an emphasis is placed on service and expertise, but it's not a given anymore.

I'm not saying this kid you dealt with wasn't an idiot, it's just upsetting to me when I go into a store and the employee who's purporting to help me knows far less than I do. It's become the norm in the bigger stores.

Edited by hockeymass

"The best research is trying them on and seeing what fits your head the best, take as much time as you like and let me know if you need any help."

My wife drives me nuts doing similar things, especially with home improvement projects. It doesn't matter if I've done it a dozen times before, random internet opinions are more informed than personal experience.

"The best research is trying them on and seeing what fits your head the best, take as much time as you like and let me know if you need any help."

Yeah, that's basically what I went with.

His mom stopped just short of calling him dumb though, which was pretty funny.

There are too many stores where it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying this kid you dealt with wasn't an idiot, it's just upsetting to me when I go into a store and the employee who's purporting to help me knows far less than I do. It's become the norm in the bigger stores.

True, but at the very least it couldn't hurt to ask. Any time I've had the misfortune to have to go to Best Buy I usually find that I'm more knowledgeable than most of their staff, but if I have a question I still ask - once in awhile you find someone who knows something.

And I don't think the kid was stupid necessarily - just pointing out a trend I've noticed more and more lately where the "random internet opinions" seem to hold more weight than a person selling the products or the experience of trying on and feeling the item for yourself.

Edited by EvilPepe

It was then that I realized that the problem isn't that some people take the expertise of someone working in a shop (LHS or otherwise) for granted, but that maybe we've gotten to the point where it isn't even recognized to exist.

Quite a bit of people seemed shocked when you express your knowledge of gear to them. Most people who I find who have this thought of "Oh he can't help me" are men, who clearly played hockey beforehand, thus their prior experience in hockey automatically means they know more about something then you do [sarcasm]. Moms on the other hand? Almost always more then welcome the help, often seek it. A good helping LHS (or whatever business on that hand) really is dime a dozen. I've been to about 15 different hockey shops since I've started working in one (whenever I am in a different town I'll just go in and check it out, mainly for ideas & size up competitors) and there have been a ton that were horrible. Granted I state once someone asks me if I need any help & just say "nope just looking, thanks though" I have had this take up to 30 minutes to see if I need help after I am browsing, and have heard some of the most odd and misinformed things imaginable. I also have heard and learned some things from others (two places I remember where they were informed & helpful, about 5 were helpful but not the most knowledgeable, just average I'd say and the other half were either severely misinformed doing whatever to sell things, or they were incredibly unhelpful). So it really depends where you are at and who's working.

Once when I was working in retail, I had some guy in a batman costume come running into the store swinging his cape around. His buddy (Robin I guess) was following behind him with a video camera. This lunatic runs up to me and say “excuse me good citizen, do you know where I find supplies for my bat cave?” I told him “No, but I think you’re starting to freak people out with your little act here”. He just started running down the aisles screaming and reciting lines from the batman movies. The manager on duty got a hold of him and told him the cops were on the way, batman shouts “off to the bat mobile” and runs out of the store. This was about 10 years ago, prior to youtube and all that… I think he was just filming this for his own amusement. Still makes me chuckle a bit when I think about it.

• Like 1

Sold a pair of goal skates yesterday, customer had just come from the local chain store where the kid working there measured and recommended a size 1. The customer's kid was currently wearing a 1.5 and his toes were crushed. The skater actually needed a size 3. Stores who don't hire experienced people will always make these kind of errors. As said above, you just got to find a good store.

There are 2 chains in the Chicagoland area one is very chain like and one is more mom and pop-ish. The chain store has a larger selection and there is a better chance of things being put on sale. The other mom and pop shop has much more helpful staff, but less inventory and sales. I can not stand the staff at the chain store. The kids there are nice enough but many of them do not know what they are talking about. The manager there is a jerk. I've dealt with him a few times and the experience was not good. One time I went to store intending buy pants and I needed to speak to an employee to see if they had them in a different color. Well I walked around for about 20 minutes trying to get someones attention, but no one would help me. It was busy and most of the staff were helping people, but there were a couple of employees who were not doing anything urgent but they could not be bothered to help me. I ended up walking out with nothing after spending a half an hour there. That chain lost at least $75 of my money, maybe more.

The other mom and pop store has great friendly staff that is always willing to help. I went there to check out the Nexus 1000 stick last week and I asked an employee if he had tried it. He had not but he told what other employees had said about it. He then taped one up for me to take shots with. Right then and there I was sold. They cut off the end for me and I was on my way.

The chain store is 15min from my house and the other shop is at least 45. I'm not going back to the chain again.

I work at a chain store and would like to think I am one of the more knowledgable staff on duty. I can tell you we have a ton of staff that do not know a lot about hockey equipment and proper fit. Its tough to motivate a young and mostly teenage staff to give a damn about what they are selling as there is no incentives such as commission. Its best to go to a chain store during the day when the full-time staff is there as I find they are the most knowledgable (at least in my stores case).

One more thing I will point out. I work at a very large store and if a customer needs help, just ASK!!!! Most of our staff have no problem helping a person find what they need (they are generally pretty good at it). The biggest problem is with such a large store its impossible to know which customers have been helped and which have not. I know the staff can be made to ask anyone around them if they require assistance, but have you ever been to a store where you are just looking for yourself and you have been bothered multiple times? It can cause a customer to want to leave a store.

Pretty much is the source of most poorly run retail establishments. Quality is top down.

Completely agree. It takes solid management to have a well trained and motivated staff.

My wife drives me nuts doing similar things, especially with home improvement projects. It doesn't matter if I've done it a dozen times before, random internet opinions are more informed than personal experience.

My wife does this all the time, no matter the subject the random person online knows more than me because he took the time to post it online. Drives me up a friggin wall

True, but at the same time, I'm a stickler for research on anything expensive I buy. I could try on a bunch of helmets, find 1 or 2 that I like and fit well... and then I want to take the time and read some reviews. If a helmet fits well but the reviews are all crap because of quality issues, etc, then I'd rather know that before spending the money. I'll often visit a store 2-3 times at least before pulling the trigger on a purchase, especially skates.

Once to kick tires/see what I like (in the case of skates, usually not a detailed fitting w/ employee, just compiling a couple models I like, trying them on myself) , then go home and do my research/review checking, then back to the store to confirm that the ones that passed my research checking really do fit well, with an employee's help, etc. Then usually home again to sleep on it. I *hate* impulse buying. Then if I decide to buy, I go in "on a mission", get whatever it is, and go home.

What I find to be a problem is that, after doing research, I'll go in to the local chain to ask questions and actually get an opinion, but no one quite knows any answers, or they'll give the worse response in my opinion 'well you already seem to know what you want.' The reason I go in is because I'm trying to figure that out. There are some good workers I've come across, but oddly enough, it has nothing to do with age or experience, but just passion for their job and hockey.

If someone is just working the shop because they play hockey and it gets them a discount, they're going to be a poor worker. Someone who works because they enjoy helping someone take part in the game is going to put forth the effort to know what they're talking about. Sadly, most kids these days just want a paycheck.

Quality is for sure top down. I can agree with that.

I would also agree that an employee needs to be careful when trying to be helpful. You can come up and ask me and I will politely tell you I am good for now, but thanks for asking, but I know there are certain customer's who can't even be bothered by that question, b/c they think you are pressuring them. This is not the employees fault as they are supposed to ask, but it is a balancing act. If I need help I will ask for it, but I am not bothered by people approaching me looking to help.

Quality is for sure top down. I can agree with that.

I would also agree that an employee needs to be careful when trying to be helpful. You can come up and ask me and I will politely tell you I am good for now, but thanks for asking, but I know there are certain customer's who can't even be bothered by that question, b/c they think you are pressuring them. This is not the employees fault as they are supposed to ask, but it is a balancing act. If I need help I will ask for it, but I am not bothered by people approaching me looking to help.

As someone who also works retail, I try to be especially sensitive to whether a customer even looks like they want to be bothered. Some people just want to get in, check out, and be done, but others really would like someone to come up and help them. Every customer has a look, it just takes a large volume of customers to be able to differentiate.

As someone who also works retail, I try to be especially sensitive to whether a customer even looks like they want to be bothered. Some people just want to get in, check out, and be done, but others really would like someone to come up and help them. Every customer has a look, it just takes a large volume of customers to be able to differentiate.

If you're never sure...I always learned the "Hey, if you need anything just let me know." comment tends to work best. You've acknowledged to the customer that you know they are there and you're there to help, but allows them to decide whether they want to ask questions or not.

From the consumer point of view, it is allways nice to be acknowledged even if you are busy or on the phone. When an employee never lifts their head to even look at you or just continues to text hopeing you just move on. Those are the places I will just avoid in the future when I want to purchase sometheing. Is that wrong of me to have this opinion?

Not at all, there's a difference between acknowledging the customer and being a bother. When I'm a customer, the worst that can happen is needing help and having to wander the store to find someone who will actually talk to you (which happened to me at a different location of the company i work for)

True, but at the same time, I'm a stickler for research on anything expensive I buy. I could try on a bunch of helmets, find 1 or 2 that I like and fit well... and then I want to take the time and read some reviews. If a helmet fits well but the reviews are all crap because of quality issues, etc, then I'd rather know that before spending the money. I'll often visit a store 2-3 times at least before pulling the trigger on a purchase, especially skates.

Once to kick tires/see what I like (in the case of skates, usually not a detailed fitting w/ employee, just compiling a couple models I like, trying them on myself) , then go home and do my research/review checking, then back to the store to confirm that the ones that passed my research checking really do fit well, with an employee's help, etc. Then usually home again to sleep on it. I *hate* impulse buying. Then if I decide to buy, I go in "on a mission", get whatever it is, and go home.

Well with hockey equipment, you're on here enough... you should know if something has issues or not. Usually the bad reviews I find on the internet are either they a)got the wrong quality piece of equipment for the quality/quantity of hockey they are playing [got something crappy or mid-range and expect it to perform like a top-end product] or B) they got the wrong size because they couldn't try it on, thus they had a bad experience with it. or C)they mistreated the equipment and thus caused issues.

Its really dangerous to go off online reviews and take them as is - you have absolutely no clue how they treated the equipment or if it even fits correctly. Now if there are a ton of people saying "This broke in the same spot in a short period of time" then yes most likely there is an issue with the product. For instance on sticks, the Eq50s, CCM Octoguns, Reebok 9K o-tech, all of those had severe warranty issues.

Edited by raganblink

I'll often visit a store 2-3 times at least before pulling the trigger on a purchase, especially skates.

I’m the exact same way. I may be even borderline OCD with my research before buying equipment (or anything expensive). I try it on in the store once or twice, I read every review I can find online, ask people at the rink about it their gear. By the time I go to buy, I’m certain it the right thing for me, it so much easier to part with the cash. I’m sure the guys at my LHS thought I was the biggest “time-burglar” ever, until I walked in one day and dropped $600.00 upgrading some of my old cheap gear to top of the line stuff. Some salesman think if you walk out of the store without buying something you wasted their time, for me and many others, that’s just part of the research process. Now if I walked out to buy it online… that’s messed up. But with new hockey gear there’s not a lot of incentive to do that since the pricing appears to be set by manufacturers. The stuff I’ve bought online are things I couldn’t find locally only because there is a serious lack of retail hockey shops in my area.

You do have to take some online reviews with a grain of salt. Prime example on a non-hockey related item, I remember some guy gave a DeWalt heat gun (1) star on Amazon because it wasn’t suitable for use on pastries and food. So here is a product that is indented for stripping paint/varnish, loosening bolts, etc. and this guy is the only one out there trying to toast his “creme brulee” with it. I had a laugh and quickly ignored the review. That's like saying this clothes iron sucks... it ruined my grilled cheese sandwich :smile: .