Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OTHockey96

Pro's shoulder pads

Here's a vid of an interview with Aaron Ward after his first practice with the B's. He's rocking a pair of Bauers I haven't seen before. Seem like a nice set of pads, good protection for a shot blocker, shot caller, 20 inch rims on a Chevy Impala...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...rl_welcome_mat/

Bauer 5000

I loved that pad, I wish they would bring it back.

Here's a vid of an interview with Aaron Ward after his first practice with the B's. He's rocking a pair of Bauers I haven't seen before. Seem like a nice set of pads, good protection for a shot blocker, shot caller, 20 inch rims on a Chevy Impala...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...rl_welcome_mat/

A caller gettin laid tonight

Swisher rolled tight, gotta sprayed by Ike

I hit the highway, making money the fly way

But there's got to be a beter way!

A while back I saw Joe Sakic interviewed on TSN and he was wearing Bauer shoulder pads that where slightly modified. They looked like the old lace up Coopers on the chest with the caps you'd have on a pair of Bauer 6000's or 8000 lightspeeds. Strange because I thought he wore Eastons because he endorses their products but I guess he can wear whatever he likes underneath because it's hidden under his jersey. I used to wear Jofa but also found them very bulky and frankly very heavy. Switched to a pair of Vapor 10's for my league play ( no contact league ) and they are more than adequate.Their light and they offer me enough shoulder protection for that type of hockey. When I play pickup on Saturdays though I switch back to my RBK/Jofa 6K's because some of the younger guys tend to throw their weight around a bit if they get carried away. The 6K's are a low profile shoulder cap and work well for me too. My other pair is a pair of 8K's with the larger rounded style and I find their really overkill for the type of hockey I play but they are definitely what you want to wear if your playing full contact. I don't believe anyone makes a better top end protective shoulder pad than RBK/Jofa and that's why so many guys in the pro leagues wear them.

Finally saw a pair of the NikeBauer shoulder pads JR has at my LHS last night...they were called NBH Pro Defender Shoulder pads, had the grip print and the two pair of shoulder pads, unfortunately for me they only had one pair and they were a large and I need a smaller size, i tried them on and pretty light weight, as far as protection goes the for the chest a little more protective then the Sherwood Classic shoulder pad but the shoulder caps offered a lot of protection and the price was pretty good $119, and this is at a store that doesnt give any discounts on equipment I would have bought them right there if they had them in my size

Finally saw a pair of the NikeBauer shoulder pads JR has at my LHS last night...they were called NBH Pro Defender Shoulder pads, had the grip print and the two pair of shoulder pads, unfortunately for me they only had one pair and they were a large and I need a smaller size, i tried them on and pretty light weight, as far as protection goes the for the chest a little more protective then the Sherwood Classic shoulder pad but the shoulder caps offered a lot of protection and the price was pretty good $119, and this is at a store that doesnt give any discounts on equipment I would have bought them right there if they had them in my size

What're you wearing now? And thanks for the SBDII's that I was able to get from you.

Wearing sherwood classics but want something with more protection but lightweight

Wow. I'm curious what you end up with.

I use the old cooper SB 89's for all my games, so comfy! They just sit on my shoulders and let me have a free reign of movement. Will post pics when i can.

I'd love to see what this looks like. I'll wait for the pics to be posted.

I used to use the original Cooper sbd design with the solid plastic chest piece, now use the SBD II and love them.

Only thing I would like is a little (any) abdominal protection.

Came across these good price no reserve: SBDIII

http://cgi.ebay.com/COOPER-HOCKEY-SHOULDER...1QQcmdZViewItem

Those are sweet looking pads.

IMHO, I think quality shoulder caps are more important than chest plates, but it may also depend on style of play. If you're a grinder who likes to get in front of slappers, I'd consider a bit more front protection.

I own the RBK 8K's/6K's and they are a solid shoulder pad and to date I've avoided any serious shoulder injury with them. I've spoken to many hockey equipment managers in the minors and in the NHL and OHL and they believe that RBK/Jofa are the most protective on the market.They offer solid sternum,rib and spine protection as well as a shoulder cap that disperses an impact away from the shoulder joint.They offer decent mobility although slightly bulky and superior protection overall. My other pair of shoulders are Bauer One/90 supremes that I wear for less serious hockey. I believe Nike/Bauer offers decent shoulder cap and clavicle protection as well. Their shoulder caps are solid and although they don't wrap around the shoulder as extensively as the Jofa cap still offer one of the best forms of protection in hockey. They are also well padded and ventilated in the sternum, spine and rib areas. The truth be told I prefer the Nike/Bauer pad because they are light and feel great, wrapping around your body, yet you hardly notice your wearing them. The shoulder caps are slightly less bulky and slightly lower profile yet still offer decent protection. I would not hesitate to wear either shoulder pad in any level of hockey and highly recommend high end RBK/Jofa or Nike/Bauer shoulder pads.

I wear the old style Sherwood's minus the caps for my non check beer league. No problems thus far!

Most pros wear Jofa because of the amount of protection they give from the impact at their level--and they get paid to play and not to get hurt. Most players (like ourselves) don't really need that. There are a few (like Shanahan and others) that wear some old stripped down pads for their own reasons. That being said, I wouldn't go skimp on shoulders and get something with no protection because there is the always the stick/puck/fall impact that can occur.

Jofa just dominates, period. When I did Nashville's room everyone wore Jofa...a few guys would have some Bauer stuff, but primarily Jofa. Yet, I never had success selling Jofa at the retail level. I don't get it.

Jofa is like the inner circle of hockey. Young kids now days dont want to wear it until they get to that level and see other guys wearing it. Its funny like that.

I wear a set of Jofa Center Ice for my Mens league. I only wear them because they are "VERY" protective, and I recently had a very indepth shoulder surgury, and need the protection. I am looking for something that is very protective, and less bulky than the Jofas. Any suggestions? I am really dying to get my hands on the NB prostocks pictured back on page 8.

Thanks again,

Sean