Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Player

Tacki-Mac Command Grip

Had the grip for about a month - definitely shows signs of usage as I usethe stil 4-5 hrs a week, but nothing major - certainly no rips or holes.

quick update - another 4 weeks gone by & the rubber on the grip has fully worn off in a few places & ripped :(

while I still think that usability wise the grip is totally awesome the durability sucks quite a bit - regular tape lasts longer! the rubber is way too soft I guess - oh well - seems to be another case where you have to pay for performance (kind of like S15 skates that felt apart in a couple of months)

What texture did you get? I got the sandpaper stuff and it seems to be wearing out really fast but i just had the normal tape like stuff ribbed before and it took a long time to wear out, like 6 months almost.

Best hockey invention ever. These tacki mac grips have save me hundreds in glove repalms. Best yet, I hated using cloth....the first time after a fresh taping your palm would just stick to the top of your hockey stick. I love these things and swear by them.

Ok now I'm confused a little bit because I've heard a few people saying that those grips are actually more destructive to a glove than tape before and now this.

Any consensus here from users on the glove wear compared to traditional tape?

I have never heard of these wearing gloves MORE than tape.

I have been using these for 2 years and the palms of my gloves show minimal wear. Much better than tape for glove wear.

My experiment with the wilson pro overgrip made a step back today. It felt good at first when I tried it on a public skate today. After about 1/2 h of use it was already worn away :(. I have to make a new try but with some tape on the shaft to make it softer under the grip. I'll let you hear how it turns out

if yesterday was a step back, today was two step forwards :) with a new grip, wilson preforated overgrip insted of wilson pro overgrip. it did hold up for todays practice and no signs of wear. used some duoble sided tape on the shaft to get the grip to stick to the shaft

I'll update later to tell you haw it holds up. if it goes through this week i'm pretty pleased with it

1 practice clear 3 to go plus atleast 3 games.

Tacki Mac sucks, way too thick on your hands.

The other day I was at a pickup and this guy put a "Prince" tennis grip on his S17, it felt great!!! Thin, great grip, and wrapped like hockey tape. I'm going to go pick some up today. Anyone else ever try this? I've always thought about doing this but thought it would be too thick, but it really isn't.

Had the grip for about a month - definitely shows signs of usage as I usethe stil 4-5 hrs a week, but nothing major - certainly no rips or holes.

quick update - another 4 weeks gone by & the rubber on the grip has fully worn off in a few places & ripped :(

while I still think that usability wise the grip is totally awesome the durability sucks quite a bit - regular tape lasts longer! the rubber is way too soft I guess - oh well - seems to be another case where you have to pay for performance (kind of like S15 skates that felt apart in a couple of months)

What texture did you get? I got the sandpaper stuff and it seems to be wearing out really fast but i just had the normal tape like stuff ribbed before and it took a long time to wear out, like 6 months almost.

I used wrapped with a small butt: http://www.tackimac.com/shoppingcart/hockey/wrapped.html

now looking back I should have not cut it - it's 7", and I cut it down to ~6" since I though it was way too long - NOT a good idea - it started wearing out right at the end on the corner & it was a downhill from there...

Not everyone has tiny hands. Don't say a product sucks just because it's not right for you.

Not everyone has tiny hands. Don't say a product sucks just because it's not right for you.

i know some tiny-handed people who like it thick :rolleyes:

I have smaller hands and it hasn't been a problem, even with larger boxy shafts. The wrapped texture one seems to be the thinnest one I can find and the knob is smaller than the others so it's not as bad.

FYI, I don't know how big Golfsmith is around the country, but they sell water soluble grip strips that work PERFECT with the Tacki Mac. They are the same thing that comes with the Command grips, much easier and cleaner than the solvent soluble tape. I paid $6 for 15 sheets, use two per shaft.

I've used the supplied tape before, but I had problems the last time. I cleaned off the tape and tried hair spray like other people have mentioned. It worked great. The grip slipped on easily and stuck on well after the hair spray dried. I'm going to use hair spray instead of the tape from now on.

Has anyone else noticed the sand grips getting thinner and thus less durable. Don't get me wrong, thin is nice for feel but I have been wearing them out much faster, like only a couple skates....I personally never had any fee issues.

I think I have read that the wrap is a bit more durable. True?

Until recently Tacki Macs were only found in closeout bins here in Minnesota so I have been forced to buy them direct, typically I buy them by the dozen since I have 2 boys paying as well.

I really like the grips for many reasons but one I never hear is that they do not absorb glove stench like tape does and as a result do not stick.

Until recently Tacki Macs were only found in closeout bins here in Minnesota so I have been forced to buy them direct, typically I buy them by the dozen since I have 2 boys paying as well.

Um.... I'd post a picture of the giant display of all types of TackiMacs that HockeyGiant Bloomington has up but I think that might just be a little too...overt, trust me, you can get a TackiMac around here....

I decided to try some Tacki-Mac grips out since I am tired of all the sticky, dirty tape residue that I keep building up on my favorite gloves. I am hoping that these grips work well. If not, I am going to try Tournagrip tennis racquet grips like I use for my tennis and squash racquets. MY concern is that they won't help up very well, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I love the feel of Tournagrip and you can change how tightly you wrap it in order to get it to your preferred thickness. So, it if lasts I think that could be another good glove saving option.

I've used the supplied tape before, but I had problems the last time. I cleaned off the tape and tried hair spray like other people have mentioned. It worked great. The grip slipped on easily and stuck on well after the hair spray dried. I'm going to use hair spray instead of the tape from now on.

I'm thinking of giving it a try as my current tacki-mac isn't usable anymore - curious if any hair spray would work or just some particular type?

Ahriman please notice I said UNTIL RECENTLY. I actually go to real LHS's. I used to go to HockeyGiant and yes they had a few Tacki Macs in stock. However I am not interested in one of the 5 purple or pink ones they had on the shelf for over 3 years, all in torn and tattered boxes looked like they got them from a fire sale.

Actually I was happy to see that Hockey Central now carries a full array and actually has stick ends with each grip to serve as demos. Dave's also used to carry tacki macs but they were branded by DR. Yes you are right they are around but again I support local hockey shops.

Next time I need rainbow colored gloves or a pair of size 13 skates I will go to HG.

There is also blue, red, white, and orange in addition to the purple and pink in every variety Tacki Mac makes, including the goalie ones. I won't comment on what dumbass customers do to the boxes because after working retail, you'd know those little flimsy boxes have no chance against the stupidity and lack of respect the general public has towards a large store's products.

Either way I just don't know what you define as "recently" because all of those have been there for about 7 months now...

I've bought four black grips from HG, no problems, but they are running low on good colors. Personally, I would have ordered a ton of white and black ones instead of a bunch of colors, but that's just me.

Recently pretty much referred to the last year or so (more specifically 6 months?). I was in there looking for them in the late summer early fall maybe (summer I cannot remember) and all they had left were the same purple and pink ones (maybe a goalie one too) that had been there forever. I am guessing the new inventory came in after that. Anywya I am glad more LHS' are stocking them. Now I can buy one at a time instead of 12.

I meant no offense to any LHS (or HG) for not stocking them. You came off as sounding as though I did. I have used these for roughly 5 years. Without exagerating, at least one guy every skate would grab my stick and comment on the grip and ask where they can find them.....

Daves was the only one that had them under DR brand.

I suggested to every dealer for a couple years that they should take an old wood stick and cut roughly 10" pieces and make a demo for the grips so people could see them. Finally Hockey Central has done that. I am guessing that maybe Tacki mac is supplying a sample ring to dealers now? In which case I am guessing HG has one too.

If not and you are a dealer reading this thread ORder Tackis and make a sample set so people can feel them. Not only are they a good product from a perfromance standpoitn but kids like dressing up their sticks. Colors sell. Well except purple and Pink apparently, haha.

I have no attachement to the company I am just a fan of the product that is tired of showing off my own stick at the rinks.

Recently pretty much referred to the last year or so (more specifically 6 months?). I was in there looking for them in the late summer early fall maybe (summer I cannot remember) and all they had left were the same purple and pink ones (maybe a goalie one too) that had been there forever. I am guessing the new inventory came in after that. Anywya I am glad more LHS' are stocking them. Now I can buy one at a time instead of 12.

I meant no offense to any LHS (or HG) for not stocking them. You came off as sounding as though I did. I have used these for roughly 5 years. Without exagerating, at least one guy every skate would grab my stick and comment on the grip and ask where they can find them.....

Daves was the only one that had them under DR brand.

I suggested to every dealer for a couple years that they should take an old wood stick and cut roughly 10" pieces and make a demo for the grips so people could see them. Finally Hockey Central has done that. I am guessing that maybe Tacki mac is supplying a sample ring to dealers now? In which case I am guessing HG has one too.

If not and you are a dealer reading this thread ORder Tackis and make a sample set so people can feel them. Not only are they a good product from a perfromance standpoitn but kids like dressing up their sticks. Colors sell. Well except purple and Pink apparently, haha.

I have no attachement to the company I am just a fan of the product that is tired of showing off my own stick at the rinks.

Now if you could only hit the net....

I'd also add a picture of Kovalchuk with his grip and other players using them to my little display kiosk.

But I have recommended to General Sports and Westwood to carry the Tacki Mac, as well as Blade Tape products.

I am guessing that maybe Tacki mac is supplying a sample ring to dealers now? In which case I am guessing HG has one too.

I could probably make several out of the ones that have been defected out because douchebag kids have destroyed the boxes or stolen the tape out of them or put the wrong product in different boxes, etc. I seriously would but that would never happen given the management....

Any idea which model would be closest in thickness to a tape job of twisted tape spiraling down about 6 inches and then 1 layer of tape over top? Ribbed wrapped? Wrapped Texture? or Sand Long?

Any idea which model would be closest in thickness to a tape job of twisted tape spiraling down about 6 inches and then 1 layer of tape over top? Ribbed wrapped? Wrapped Texture? or Sand Long?

Judging by the ones I've seen in person, you aren't going to find a Tacki-Mac that is exactly like what you are used to. I taped my stick similar to yours and ended up with the sand long, which is pretty thin. It's thinner than my friend's ribbed wrapped, but I don't know how it compares to the wrapped texture.