Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveTheWave

Spelling in the RH Forum

It's not about being a snob or a dick. People should take at least some pride in how they express themselves. I'm routinely blown away by the illiteracy on display at times. I do work in education, so I always figure I'm hypersensitive on the issue anyways. The one thing about this issue that does make me smile is marking term papers that use the words like 'l8r,' or phrases like '...afterwards, I was rotflmao...' When I hand papers back, the hurt looks are priceless. "I ran a spell check on it before it printed!!"

To me being a snob in this context means criticizing to make people stupid or myself look better. Being a dick... well that's self-explanatory. I agree though, looking at just the topics on this board is painful sometimes.

Since we're on this topic, it amazes me how often people use your instead of you're and loose when they mean to say lose.

There are so many examples, two, to, too... there, their, they're

A simple copy/paste to your favourite* program with a spell checker and then copy/paste back before you post is pretty easy...

*favourite - this is how we spell it in Canada ;)

Now would that be REAL ENGLISH ?? as all you Yanks , sorry USA players dont even spell simple words like COLOUR right ! very offensive to us English players. :D

We all make mistakes from time to time. It's the people who make no effort that get on my nerves.

Better yet, use the new Firefox2 Alpha (Bon Echo) -- it has built in spell check, it underlines misspelled words and you can right click and replace with the correct word in any text box on any website.

We all make mistakes from time to time. It's the people who make no effort that get on my nerves.

I agree, my number one issue with forums is members saying something like: "Eye just wanted 2 no wat u r doing 2morow"

ahhhh, that sentence took me 3 minutes to write!

You also got to remember some of the people on this board aren't American, and they are trying their best to spell correctly and use proper grammar. Unless you're jrphantom042 who doesn't take his pill before he comes on this board :lol: ...just messing with ya Mike.

are you guys for real?tell me this is a joke.are we talking hockey here,oh sorry i didnt use capital letters.come on shouldnt really be an issue. spell check

est  Posted on Jun 21 2006, 12:07 AM

Now would that be REAL ENGLISH ?? as all you Yanks , sorry USA players dont even spell simple words like COLOUR right ! very offensive to us English players.

I began reading a British book on "Meanings of Color" today. Only I didn't know it was British till I flipped the book open because everywhere on the inside it was spelled "colour". The rebound cover used the American spelling. Confusing. Apparently, in your country (or is it countrie?) it's a "draughtsman", not a "draftsman". When I saw that I thought the guy just liked art and booze. But seriously, it's like French when you go from France to Haiti, where the Creole is kind of like French but spelled differently. I guess that makes US your Haiti. Interesting.

are you guys for real?tell me this is a joke.are we talking hockey here,oh sorry i didnt use capital letters.come on shouldnt really be an issue. spell check

Yes we are serious. Occasional mistakes are a given and everyone makes them. But continual chopped sentences, poor grammar, and incomplete thoughts not to mention the alpha-numeric abbreviations just get tedious. Whether you like it or not, you are judged by the way you communicate. If you communicate lazily with a total lack of any thought whatsoever you will come across as an idiot. It is very difficult for people to take you seriously if they actually have to work to read what you are thinking.

est  Posted on Jun 21 2006, 12:07 AM

Now would that be REAL ENGLISH ?? as all you Yanks , sorry USA players dont even spell simple words like COLOUR right ! very offensive to us English players.

I began reading a British book on "Meanings of Color" today. Only I didn't know it was British till I flipped the book open because everywhere on the inside it was spelled "colour". The rebound cover used the American spelling. Confusing. Apparently, in your country (or is it countrie?) it's a "draughtsman", not a "draftsman". When I saw that I thought the guy just liked art and booze. But seriously, it's like French when you go from France to Haiti, where the Creole is kind of like French but spelled differently. I guess that makes US your Haiti. Interesting.

Actually, Creole is a dialect.

A lot of words have the same French pronunciation, but are spelled phonetically.

But yeah, I get what you are saying.

JR Boucicaut  Posted on Jun 21 2006, 09:48 PM

Actually, Creole is a dialect.

A lot of words have the same French pronunciation, but are spelled phonetically.

But yeah, I get what you are saying.

Yeah, that sounds familiar from when I took and loved French in high school. We spent two or three days on Creole...and Latin at another point. Currently I am trying to bone up on my French because I met this cute little fille qui vienne de Champagne who is studying in the US for the Summer. It's a great language. English isn't bad either.

are you guys for real?tell me this is a joke.are we talking hockey here,oh sorry i didnt use capital letters.come on shouldnt really be an issue.  spell check

Yes we are serious. Occasional mistakes are a given and everyone makes them. But continual chopped sentences, poor grammar, and incomplete thoughts not to mention the alpha-numeric abbreviations just get tedious. Whether you like it or not, you are judged by the way you communicate. If you communicate lazily with a total lack of any thought whatsoever you will come across as an idiot. It is very difficult for people to take you seriously if they actually have to work to read what you are thinking.

exactly. We could avoid a lot of confusion on this forum if members put some effort in using correct grammar. How many times do you hear stuff like: "What, I didn't..." or "I didn't mean that" or "What are you trying to say" etc...

It gets repetitive if people are misunderstood and they need to repeat(*see repetitive) themselves. It's not just a lesson on this board, it's a lesson in life.

Patrick67 Posted on Jun 22 2006, 05:09 AM

flip12: I don't know what grades you got in French, but I'll give an "A" for effort.  

Are you a French Teacher? I did pretty well and I daresay I am doing pretty well this summer too. The first test is tomorrow as we go out for coffee after work. Wish me luck. :)

are you guys for real?tell me this is a joke.are we talking hockey here,oh sorry i didnt use capital letters.come on shouldnt really be an issue.  spell check

I don't visit too many other message boards but over the years I've noticed this board to be especially professional in nature. We are closely watched by those in the industry, at least that's the conclusion I've come to.

EDIT: Having re-read my post please ignore my signature :ph34r: :lol:

I don't visit too many other message boards but over the years I've noticed this board to be especially professional in nature. We are closely watched by those in the industry, at least that's the conclusion I've come to.

EDIT: Having re-read my post please ignore my signature :rolleyes: :lol:

Ahaha. The edit was good for a laugh. :D