Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ti-girl

Playing with a broken hand

I took a really bad two handed slash on my hand a while ago. It didn't initally hurt as bad as I thought it should, but I went to the doctor last week and it turns out I broke a bone in my wrist and broke a knuckle.

Means I'm not cleared to play on my tier one team. I'm still playing on a rec team but I have to "be very careful" and I have to keep my hand taped whenever I play.

Should I play or should I just forget about it for the next 6 weeks?

It's not worth it for a rec team, especially if you have a better team to come back to. I've played with broken fingers and the last time it happened when I was in a beer league, it wasn't worth it.

If it was me, I'd stay off. A friend of mine got a "boxer's fracture" in her hand from "falling down drunk", and it tooks her's forever to heal, mainly because she didn't tone down her "activity level".

All it would take is to catch a rut in the boards and falling on your hand to injure it more severely. You don't need a cast or surgery, so I'd thank your lucky stars and wait till it heals.

its up to you i wouldnt think it would be a good idea to play with a broken hand i wouldnt if it was just rec league. i had a buddy of mine trying to play with a broken wrist his wrist was giving him a painful burning feeling everytime he got the puck he left the game and didnt play for another 2 weeks

If it was the tier one team, i'd say ok play through the pain and hope for the best, but since its rec league, dont do it. see if you can still practice ( non contact ). I'd take the next 6 weeks as a serious leg and ab training session. If you go balls out you'll come back in pretty damn good shape. But if you play, the hand will take longer and longer to heal, and you can do alot more damage now that it is already broken.

Rec team? Don't bother. It's not worth the time or risk of further injury that would keep you further sidelined from the team that actually matters.

Last year I broke a bone in my hand playing baseball (diving for a ground-ball up the middle - dirt was very soft, caught my glove and my body rolled-over my hand in a funny position - I finished the last few innings of the game, made a few plays, but had to bunt in my last plate appearence as I couldn't swing the bat).

Unfortunately, this was about a week before "camp" opened for my AAA team. I don't think many hockey players would sit that kind of thing out, and I'm no exception. I almost cried whenever we did any lifting in the gym, and I had to be careful to try to use only my bottom hand (right) to manipulate my stick, handle the puck, shoot and pass, or get any leverage along the boards. My performance didn't suffer much, and I was comfortable with it within about 8 or 9 days (after camp opened, not after the injury itself) - after that I really didn't think about it at all when I was on the ice.

I'm not going to lie - it was pretty tough, and I think I did some permanent damage - it still hurts a bit when it gets whacked hard, my dexterity is slightly off and I can't quite get my ring and middle fingers together. Do I feel as though it were worth it? Absolutely. Would I feel the same if I were playing rec hockey? Definitely not.

Get a cast if you don't already have one and play. I know that in some cases a cast is not needed.

I've done it twice and so have other team mates.Hockey and Football.

Didn't feel any pain with cast.

You will obviously not play on the power play but at the very least you can do the drills at practice without worrying about re-injury

I took a really bad two handed slash on my hand a while ago. It didn't initally hurt as bad as I thought it should, but I went to the doctor last week and it turns out I broke a bone in my wrist and broke a knuckle.

Means I'm not cleared to play on my tier one team. I'm still playing on a rec team but I have to "be very careful" and I have to keep my hand taped whenever I play.

Should I play or should I just forget about it for the next 6 weeks?

Doing any damage to a joint and not letting it heal properly will come back to haunt you down the road. Playing with a cast will only give you a false sense of security and you will continue to move the hand and wrist inside the cast. I agree with the others...use the time to work out on the legs and core and come back in better shape than when you left. With a little physio the wrist will come back quickly, but....you have to let it heal! Too bad the refs weren't enforcing the 'new rules'.

I respect what Yvan12 is saying and one can never go wrong by being cautious.

However ask doctors who work with high level teams and you'd be surprised at how many times they supervised such a procedure.

The following is an example I found on the web.

Athletes may be able to return to play from a recent injury to the hand or wrist by wearing a playing cast such as the GE RTV- 11. “These types of casts help to stabilize the joints and protect against re-injury,†Dr. Plancher explains. “Although most casts are prohibited from the field of play due to the potential they have to injure other athletes, the RTV-11 is acceptable because of its soft exterior construction,†he adds.

I like to take in the opinion of others who have either played with the same type of injury or know someone who has.

I know that everyone is different and heals different but it gives me something to base my decision on.

I like to take in the opinion of others who have either played with the same type of injury or know someone who has.

I know that everyone is different and heals different but it gives me something to base my decision on.

Sorry, i was in one of those moods 'omg it seems like all any does is complain' moods ealier. Apoogies if i offended you.

I too have played with a broken hand, i had a sever boxers fracture 3 degrees (in terms of the angle the two halves of the bone were at) away from surgery. i cut the cast off after one week, covered my hand in vaseline and wrapped it up bubble wrap. Cant my move my pinky too much now and regret playing with it. We were 12-0 at the time so i porbably could've sat a few games but it was my first year and i was line 1 - i felt like i'd be letting my team down if i didnt play. Dont risk it just for rec.