Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BK

Best bands that you're not listening to.

Heres my list of whats in my iTunes

As I Lay Dying

A Wilhelm Scream

Alexisonfire

As Blood Runs Black

Atreyu

Anti-Flag

Bleeding Through

Billy Talent

Bullet For My Valentine

Chiodos

Destroy The Runner

Five Iron Frenzy

From Autumn To Ashes

Haste The Day

Less Than Jake

Linkin Park

Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Much The Same

Rise Against

Senses Fail

Silverstein

A Skylit Drive

Story of the Year

Trivium

Whole Wheat Bread

Sparta is, like you said, a decent just rock band with not much else to it.

The Mars Volta is the most pretentious crap I've ever listened to. They make Tool look like the 1987 Beastie Boys.

If you simply don't like The Mars Volta, fair enough. I'm not trying to argue or stick up for them, but what exactly do you find to be "pretentious"?

Sparta is, like you said, a decent just rock band with not much else to it.

The Mars Volta is the most pretentious crap I've ever listened to. They make Tool look like the 1987 Beastie Boys.

If you simply don't like The Mars Volta, fair enough. I'm not trying to argue or stick up for them, but what exactly do you find to be "pretentious"?

They think they are so cool because they can write lyrics in two different languages throughout the same song :blink: :P

The Mars Volta was great when I saw them in '03 with Saul Williams. I haven't dug on the newer albums as much, but they're still good.

The Mars Volta was great when I saw them in '03 with Saul Williams. I haven't dug on the newer albums as much, but they're still good.

They are an excellent live band. I'm a snob in the sense that, when I see a concert, while most people prefer for it to "not sound like the record," I actually really do. As close as possible anyhow. The problem is that most kids go to SEE bands play, not to HEAR them, and it's the unnecessary showmanship part that makes most concerts relatively uninteresting to me. I really couldn't care less what you can play behind your back. Just play it. Again, I'm probably a snob for admitting that, but it's just the truth. You want to have fun at a concert yes, but there's something to be said about a band that can emulate what they've recorded, as I believe recording to also be an art all it's own. Most bands can not do this. Tool can. Jethro Tull and King Crimson can. Frank Zappa could. The Mars Volta can. Even Bad Religion can. For me, the better it sounds live, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

That was my long and dull explanation of why I disagree with The Mars Volta being considered pretentious. If you just don't like them, hey, no one can hold it against you. I just don't think it makes them pretentious.

Sparta. Enough said. Also Jim Ward's EP.

The short-lived At The Drive-In: Excellent.

at the drive in was not short-lived. you just didn't discover them until they became popular.

btw, they're best band i've ever seen live

at the drive in was not short-lived. you just didn't discover them until they became popular.

They had a total 3 studio records. If they made them over 25 years they will still be short-lived based on overall output.

And yes, they were also a good live band.

They had a total 3 studio records. If they made them over 25 years they will still be short-lived based on overall output.

And yes, they were also a good live band.

actually they had 4 full length records, 1 six song ep, lots of touring and 8 years together. i wouldn't call that short-lived.

i don't know many of the newer bands (a sign i'm getting old) but here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

-unwound

-sleater-kinney

-at the drive in

-older jimmy eat world (new stuff sucks)

-slint

-june of 44

-jawbox

-jawbreaker

-pinback

-older death cab for cutie

-elliot smith

-minor threat

-descendants

-bad religion

-the jesus lizard

-any band with kathleen hanna

-spoon

-archers of loaf

-sunny day real estate

-texas is the reason

-dead kennedies

-dead milkmen

-discount

-a minor forrest

june of '44!

the 'anatomy of sharks' ep is one of the best things ever.

Edited by acollette49

They are an excellent live band. I'm a snob in the sense that, when I see a concert, while most people prefer for it to "not sound like the record," I actually really do. As close as possible anyhow....You want to have fun at a concert yes, but there's something to be said about a band that can emulate what they've recorded, as I believe recording to also be an art all it's own. Most bands can not do this. Tool can. Jethro Tull and King Crimson can. Frank Zappa could. The Mars Volta can. Even Bad Religion can. For me, the better it sounds live, the more enjoyment I get out of it.

I realize it's all personal preference, but I don't understand the point of that. You might as well use an audio editor and just splice applause to the end of each studio song.

I've always enjoyed the bands that occasionally change songs in their concerts. Maybe they do one or two acoustically. Maybe they add horns to a particular song. I might not like the concert song, but I appreciate that they are giving us something more than I already have in my collection.

i don't know many of the newer bands (a sign i'm getting old) but here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

-unwound

-sleater-kinney

-at the drive in

-older jimmy eat world (new stuff sucks)

-slint

-june of 44

-jawbox

-jawbreaker

-pinback

-older death cab for cutie

-elliot smith

-minor threat

-descendants

-bad religion

-the jesus lizard

-any band with kathleen hanna

-spoon

-archers of loaf

-sunny day real estate

-texas is the reason

-dead kennedies

-dead milkmen

-discount

-a minor forrest

june of '44!

the 'anatomy of sharks' ep is one of the best things ever.

i like their first album best 'engine takes to water'. they're one of those bands that should be listened to on vinyl. great band.

brand new. 'nuff said.

I threw their name out on the first page - about a month before "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" was released; an album which was better than I ever could have hoped for.

They've been touring a lot lately. Luckily, my schedule has allowed me to make it to five shows in a little over a year, now. I was worried that I'd be let-down by the live show, but they're even better in concert.

brand new. 'nuff said.

I threw their name out on the first page - about a month before "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" was released; an album which was better than I ever could have hoped for.

They've been touring a lot lately. Luckily, my schedule has allowed me to make it to five shows in a little over a year, now. I was worried that I'd be let-down by the live show, but they're even better in concert.

ya i saw that, i just thought i'd give a +1 to them. they only came to winnipeg once but that was before my friend showed me them. i wish i went sooo bad. do you know of any bands similar to them? oh and nice avatar haha :P

I actually had the TDAGARIM album cover up before this one.

One of the great things about Brand New is the fact that the music itself is excellent, but it's only enhanced by the lyrics and the background and emotions driving them; listen to the words. Jesse wrote "Guernica" while his grandfather was dying of cancer, "Seventy Times 7" was written after Jesse's friend (John Nolan, then with Taking Back Sunday - who answered with "There's No I in Team") slept with Jesse's girlfriend. Jesse wrote "Limousine" after a little girl was killed by a drunk driver in a town not far from where he grew-up; she had just served as the flower girl at a relatives wedding and was in the limo on the way to the reception. She was actually decapitated and her mother (who was driving her own car behind the limo) cradled the girl's head at the side of the road; she actually had to be physically separated from it. There is a lot of personal regret expressed throughout a lot of the stuff - particularly where religion is concerned (especially, but not necessarily exclusively, in the third album).

If you're looking for other similar groups, you might want to check out some of Taking Back Sunday's older stuff and Straylight Run (both of which have ties with Brand New). If you do enough digging, you might be able to find some stuff by "The Rookie Lot," which featured a few members of Brand New before Brand New actually formed.

I dunno, I definitely like the stuff from Your Favorite Weapon the best, but I also think its really good progression for the band to change their sound up quite a bit and not be exactly like everyone else, like TBS and so many others..

But I also like my 9 rides shotgun, i believe you my tommy gun don't, and its good to know if i need attention..

I'd love to see them live.