Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

A few cars

2006 Honda S2000 (for sale)

2000 Acura Integra GS-R

1993 Sentra SE-R 24 hours of lemons race car

1994 Merc Grand Marquis HPP (tow car when needed)

Yeah if I had to buy a new TD truck I'd completely eliminate the Ford. Had issues with the team's F-350, which was a 7.3L, but nothing compared to what you'll have with the 6.4. Had good luck so far with it's replacement, an 07 Ram 3500, hauling about 9-10k (27' alum trailer, golf cart, 1st gen rx7, tools, compressor, generator, etc).

I'd also consider the new Chevy trucks, have heard good things about them from the few owners I've talked to.

Thankfully I rarely ever need to tow my car since the series only runs a few times on the east coast, and the dates never correspond with an SCCA weekend so I haven't needed to buy a truck yet.

The new Fords are the weakest of all the new diesels. If you want a powerful ford go pick one up with the 7.3 turbo diesel, throw an exhaust and chip at it and have fun.

Not a fan of the 6.4's. I had an F450 for a work truck for a while till one of the turbos blew. Then when I got it back the trans started slipping. They claim it'll tow 24,500 pounds, but it fucking SUCKED hauling 18-20K on long trips. No power in valleys, etc.

I now have a ram 3500 mega cab with the 6.7. Good power, truck fucking blows. Don't get one unless you really, REALLY need to. It's rough, interior quality sucks, it's noisy, but it pulls a shit ton. I only like the mega cab because I recline the back seats, throw down some sleeping bags + blanket, and it's way better than sleeping in most of the camps.

The dodge was the biggest pile i've ever driven, but that cummins is an absolute monster. I've decided on a 2008 GMC sierra 2500, my last truck 2005 sierra treated me good until I hit the ditch off the highway 2 weeks ago, and the looks of the new ones are growing on me(except the awful silverado). My only problem now is not lifting it once its in my hands...

The new Fords are the weakest of all the new diesels. If you want a powerful ford go pick one up with the 7.3 turbo diesel, throw an exhaust and chip at it and have fun.

Not a fan of the 6.4's. I had an F450 for a work truck for a while till one of the turbos blew. Then when I got it back the trans started slipping. They claim it'll tow 24,500 pounds, but it fucking SUCKED hauling 18-20K on long trips. No power in valleys, etc.

I now have a ram 3500 mega cab with the 6.7. Good power, truck fucking blows. Don't get one unless you really, REALLY need to. It's rough, interior quality sucks, it's noisy, but it pulls a shit ton. I only like the mega cab because I recline the back seats, throw down some sleeping bags + blanket, and it's way better than sleeping in most of the camps.

The dodge was the biggest pile i've ever driven, but that cummins is an absolute monster. I've decided on a 2008 GMC sierra 2500, my last truck 2005 sierra treated me good until I hit the ditch off the highway 2 weeks ago, and the looks of the new ones are growing on me(except the awful silverado). My only problem now is not lifting it once its in my hands...

if anyone is looking, i've got a 2002 Chevy 3500, 4x4, diesel i'm looking to get rid of!!!

BMW 330xi - $22,000

Front right axle and ignition - $1500

Front left axle, headlamp fixture, and tail lamp fixture - $1500

Repairing damage from a tree branch falling on the car - $3500

Rebuilding transmission - $2500

Learning to never buy an expensive car as a 20-something - Priceless

Anyways, hoping to sell this car and get a little hatchback, Mazda3, Scion tC, something like that. Something low to mid teens.

BMW 330xi - $22,000

Front right axle and ignition - $1500

Front left axle, headlamp fixture, and tail lamp fixture - $1500

Repairing damage from a tree branch falling on the car - $3500

Rebuilding transmission - $2500

Learning to never buy an expensive car as a 20-something - Priceless

Anyways, hoping to sell this car and get a little hatchback, Mazda3, Scion tC, something like that. Something low to mid teens.

hatchback = more room for hockey gear..

Amen. My buddy settled for a Mazda3 hatchback and he fits his gear, a goalie plus one more guy on a occasion. I've got a Matrix I do that with but it's admittedly underpowered, looks like a poor man's minivan and less fun to drive than the Mazda3.

Ok guys, tell me I'm crazy. I wanna boost my car. You gotta talk me out of it

They have weak transmissions, nobody makes a kit for them, and you probably don't have the skills to fab one up yourself. Consider yourself talked out of it :P

eh, theres a couple kits and some have pretty good track records. But, yeah, I might as well trade up for a MS3 instead of ponying up that kind of dough...

Yeah, I had a newer Mercury Cougar that was great for occasionally hauling stuff around. I'm a drummer, so it was nice to be able to toss five cases in the car, the massive hockey bag holding all the hardware, a cymbal bag, some stuff for the guitarists, AND fit the girlfriend up front.

Although I'm seeing Nissan Muranos go for pretty cheap now that everyone's selling off their SUV's. Under $16k with lower mileage...going to have to test drive one.

I don't think I updated this with recent purchases. Wife now drives a 2007 Ford Edge SEL. Very nice, very luxurious vehicle. Wish the mileage was a bit better.

And the 1968 Mercury pickup was getting tired, so I replaced it with a 2004 Nissan Frontier crew cab.

1968 Mercury Cougar is still sitting in the garage waiting for an exhaust system.

haha no the mustang just wasnt cutting it. Not really any particular reason other than working a good job at a hospital, wanted some decent reliable transportation, and felt like changing things up. the stang Needed some work done and just couldnt carry people/ hockey gear 'comfortably'. The xB is just crazy awesome to drive. Tons of room for stuff, people, and its kinda ugly. Perfect. :P

Edited by Race4LastPlace

I have too many vehicles that I've kept around too long

2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4 doors-Winter driver

2002 Dodge Ram Sport-Farm truck-Straight pipe and it rumbles

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante (owned for 10 years and drive every day) This car still gets 25+ mpg at 218k miles

I may sell the pickup and/or SUV and get something along the lines of an AWD Audi/VW wagon

Any ideas out there?

Edited by epstud74

I have too many vehicles that I've kept around too long

2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4 doors-Winter driver

2002 Dodge Ram Sport-Farm truck

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante (owned for 10 years and drive every day) This car still gets 25+ mpg

I may sell the pickup and/or SUV and get something along the lines of an AWD Audi/VW wagon

Any ideas out there?

Well the Audis are awesome. Great everything. Consumer reports says that VWs are not preforming that well (in reliability). Check out Subaru. They have good awd and are very fun to drive. Also before you buy anything i would check out consumer reports (you can find current and past editions in your library).

How about the Ford Freestyle/Edge vehicles? Yeah, I'll have to do my research for sure.

Abysmal gas mileage for being car-based crossovers. They put too much bulk on them. A shorter wagon with AWD will hold as much cargo and be much better in the fuel economy category. I have a Volvo XC70, love it for this purpose, but I wouldn't recommend one, mine is a prima-donna for sure.