Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shuweiyu16

Carbon Steel Blade VS. Regular Blades

I am just wondering what is the big difference between carbon steel blades versus regular blades, as I have heard that most Nhl'ers prefer carbon steel blades.

Can anyone confirm this? and if so, why is this?

Thanks

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY EASTONS NOT HOLDING AND EDGE AT ALL!!!

THERE WERE AWFUL (Z-AIR COMP'S) I DUNNO IF THIS IS WHAT EASTON USES

BUT THERE STEEL IS GARBAGE. I SWITCHED HOLDERS TO TUUKS AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. TUUKS ARE STAINLESS STEEL, THEY FEEL DIFFERENT BUT AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO SHARPEN THEM EVERYDAY NOW

BUT THERE STEEL IS GARBAGE. I SWITCHED HOLDERS TO TUUKS AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. TUUKS ARE STAINLESS STEEL, THEY FEEL DIFFERENT BUT AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO SHARPEN THEM EVERYDAY NOW

i hope that's not a problem. Since i just bought some new easton skates a few weeks ago!

from what i can find the PARABOLIC RUNNERS II are "high carbon stainless steel"

I noticed my edge went away quickly on my right, but i was hoping it was because it wasn't a great sharpening and i stop too often with my right foot!

I hope it's not the steel.

The cheap carbon found on most low-end skates is classified as "low-carbon" steel. It is garbage. Not to be confused with high carbon steel which has superior edge retention, even better than stainless. It still rusts easily. High carbon is not used on hockey skates anymore.

The cheap carbon found on most low-end skates is classified as "low-carbon" steel. It is garbage. Not to be confused with high carbon steel which has superior edge retention, even better than stainless. It still rusts easily. High carbon is not used on hockey skates anymore.

The ICM Super Steel was high-grade carbon, but like you said, not available anymore.

now i am confused. on the easton site they say "Swedish stainless steel" in the skate description.

But in the runners (alone) description they say "420 high carbon Swedish steel"

I am guessing the runners are stainless.

Out of my own curiosity, do any of you hockey shop owners or experienced sharpeners have an opinion on easton's steel?

i hope that's not a problem. Since i just bought some new easton skates a few weeks ago!

from what i can find the PARABOLIC RUNNERS II are "high carbon stainless steel"

I noticed my edge went away quickly on my right, but i was hoping it was because it wasn't a great sharpening and i stop too often with my right foot!

I hope it's not the steel.

thats your problem man, that steel sucks.

I've had two pair of z-comps

1 just stock easton holder and steel

the second is with the tuuks and there steel

There was a HUGE difference in the way tuuks hold an edge.

I was getting my easton steel sharpened every week.

I live in Windsor, canada we have maximum edge. They dont even take eastons on trade in's cuz there not as good as quality.

My eastons were not durable at all, like stiching and what not

now i am confused. on the easton site they say "Swedish stainless steel" in the skate description.

But in the runners (alone) description they say "420 high carbon Swedish steel"

I am guessing the runners are stainless.

Out of my own curiosity, do any of you hockey shop owners or experienced sharpeners have an opinion on easton's steel?

Yeah, it sucks.

It is stainless though.

crap!

i love how the boots feel. I'll have to see if the steel is a problem at my low level of play. I wish this thread could have come up a month ago! I would have asked more questions at Gunzo's about the steel before I bought. I could have afforded to go $50-75 higher on may skates.

damn, damn, damn!

There is high carbon stainless steel. In the past there was one or the other. All top kitchen knives used to be carbon because of the superior edge, but they discolored. Now, Henkels and Wusthof use high carbon stainless which has the best properties of both. Assume it is the same with skate blades.

The cheap carbon found on most low-end skates is classified as "low-carbon" steel. It is garbage.  Not to be confused with high carbon steel which has superior edge retention, even better than stainless.  It still rusts easily.  High carbon is not used on hockey skates anymore.

The ICM Super Steel was high-grade carbon, but like you said, not available anymore.

If it held an edge better then stainless even if it rusted why did they take it off the market?

There is still a few hockeyshop's/hockey workshop's here in Sweden which has the ICM holders/blades in stock...

If someone here is interested to get a pair o ICM's, contact the guys at sportverkstan.com. Their site is in Swedish, but there is phone numbers under the "kontakta oss" button.

I just remembered, there is a company that makes a high carbon replacement steel for just Tuuk+ and ccm steel, they are called HOTBLADES. High carbon with a nickle plating to prevent rusting on the sides. They are excellent steel, unbreakable, 40% lighter, and hold an edge better than any stainless. I've sold them for the past 4 yrs and customers seemed to like them a lot. I do believe though that they are phasing them out and will be going with just a high quality stainless instead. www.hotblades.net