Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mdamson

What is with the shinguard widths?

I went into the LHS to see if I could fit my daughter in a new set of shinguards. She is currently in a 13" and is probably just getting into the bottom to midrange on a 14" size based on the length. We looked at RBK, CCM and Easton. In the jump from 13" to 14" the length only goes up by and inch, but the width increases substantially. In the CCM and RBK the 13" would hardly go on her leg widthwise, but the 14" were huge in width, but fit her in length. The Eastons seemed a bit more midrange in width, but I would like to get her the RBK/Jofa, just for their protective value. My question is do you really notice the width that much once you are on the ice when you go from a junior sized pad (eg. 13") to a senior sized pad (eg. 14")? I have experienced this problem before with pants where they fit around your midsection, but the length is either too short, or too long. I would also like to know what is the difference between a 6K and a 7K shinguard. The guy at the LHS couldn't really seem to tell me and from the online descriptions on the RBK site, it is really hard to see what the difference is except for an additional ten bucks so that you can say that yours goes up to 11 (spinal tap reference for those who know).

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike D.

I guess I can relate...to more of an extreme. I am 6'3" tall but very skinny, so I have always had a hard time finding a 16" shin guard that fit snug width wise. I tried Jofa and they would swim. The only luck I have had is the Nike shinguards (V-12 or V-14). I use the 16" V-14 and they fit great. Just my experience.

I went into the LHS to see if I could fit my daughter in a new set of shinguards. She is currently in a 13" and is probably just getting into the bottom to midrange on a 14" size based on the length. We looked at RBK, CCM and Easton. In the jump from 13" to 14" the length only goes up by and inch, but the width increases substantially. In the CCM and RBK the 13" would hardly go on her leg widthwise, but the 14" were huge in width, but fit her in length. The Eastons seemed a bit more midrange in width, but I would like to get her the RBK/Jofa, just for their protective value. My question is do you really notice the width that much once you are on the ice when you go from a junior sized pad (eg. 13") to a senior sized pad (eg. 14")? I have experienced this problem before with pants where they fit around your midsection, but the length is either too short, or too long. I would also like to know what is the difference between a 6K and a 7K shinguard. The guy at the LHS couldn't really seem to tell me and from the online descriptions on the RBK site, it is really hard to see what the difference is except for an additional ten bucks so that you can say that yours goes up to 11 (spinal tap reference for those who know).

Mike D.

Yes they do get considerably wider as you go from 13" to 14".

6k and 7k are two distinct pads. 6k is vented, slimmer, and has a different liner and has the FitLite strap system that allows the pad to sit further from the leg. The 7k is equivalent to the Jofa xx60 series.

Mike D.

Yes they do get considerably wider as you go from 13" to 14".

6k and 7k are two distinct pads. 6k is vented, slimmer, and has a different liner and has the FitLite strap system that allows the pad to sit further from the leg. The 7k is equivalent to the Jofa xx60 series.

that and the 6k comes in a 13.5 also but yes the 6k is great for women with thinner legs

JR

You're right. I see what you mean by the differences. The shop we visited only had the 6K in 13" and 4K's in 14". They must be two completely different pads in terms of widths. I will have to check around some more. Thanks for the information.

Mike D.

Is the FitLite thing necessary? Wondering if it's an option to just remove it.

I love the fit/feel of my Easton Synergies but I find myself duct taping pieces of them back together after every game, and I don't even block shots. I prefer a calf wrap and good side-of-the-knee protection (that little thing boney area) but I don't want my legs to look like tree trunks.

JR,

I just went down and checked at a store that had both the 6K and 7K RBK's in 13" and 14". I find that the problem is the same. The plastic mold for the 6K and 7K is exactly the same as the rest of the RBK line. The 6K seems to add inserts to the mold so that they can have vents. The 7K is supposedly more expensive due to a different liner system. Other than that, the increase in size from 13" to 14" in terms of width is substantial. So much is this difference that my daughter has difficulty fitting in either of them. The salesman was trying to push me into S5 Stealth Eastons, or S9 Stealth Eastons. He said that the S5's were probably a better shinguard than the 6K Easton's anyway. He also said that the reputation that Jofa has is only worthy in their upper line guards (eg. the 7K or 8K). My daughter is not so keen on the Easton line as she knows players that have split them when they are hit by a shot. So, I guess I am back to square one and open to any suggestions that the members can suggest.

Thanks,

Mike D.

Try nikes as mentioned earlier, and in my experience wider shinpads are awkward at first, but quite easy to get used to and I actually prefer the additional surface area when blocking shots and making plays along the boards.

I agree with my fellow members. I think a Nike pad would be the way to go. They offer considerable protection and a snug fit. I had a pair of V-10's and they where great. Gave them to my friend when the wife bought me my 8K's for my birthday. My buddy is still using them and he loves them. Hasn't had any injuries yet and he plays in the same league as me.

JR,

I just went down and checked at a store that had both the 6K and 7K RBK's in 13" and 14". I find that the problem is the same. The plastic mold for the 6K and 7K is exactly the same as the rest of the RBK line. The 6K seems to add inserts to the mold so that they can have vents. The 7K is supposedly more expensive due to a different liner system. Other than that, the increase in size from 13" to 14" in terms of width is substantial. So much is this difference that my daughter has difficulty fitting in either of them. The salesman was trying to push me into S5 Stealth Eastons, or S9 Stealth Eastons. He said that the S5's were probably a better shinguard than the 6K Easton's anyway. He also said that the reputation that Jofa has is only worthy in their upper line guards (eg. the 7K or 8K). My daughter is not so keen on the Easton line as she knows players that have split them when they are hit by a shot. So, I guess I am back to square one and open to any suggestions that the members can suggest.

Thanks,

Mike D.

Mike,

My daughter uses the Nike and being I can get what I want I would still put her in the Stealth or the Nike but more the Stealth as it is narrower and i think will fit my daughter better. The problem is girls have longer legs and though really dont need the width they sure do need the length.

I am 5'9" and she is only 5'4" and she wears 14" and I wear 13" but it is very common with women.

I havent had any issues with the higher end Easton pads although they did have a manufacturing issue last year that was causing some split issues. That has been solved.

I remember hearing that you could bake rbk shinpads and if this is true I'm pretty sure you could bake it and then tape it tight so it will form to fit her leg.

A quick question about the 7k and 8k shin guards, I've heard from different sources that one is better than the other. I was wondering if anyone knew the trade offs between the two. I also notice that on the 7k the soft padding extends down like an inch below the hard shell, whereas on the 8k it's about even. Anyone know the reasoning for this?

A quick question about the 7k and 8k shin guards, I've heard from different sources that one is better than the other. I was wondering if anyone knew the trade offs between the two. I also notice that on the 7k the soft padding extends down like an inch below the hard shell, whereas on the 8k it's about even. Anyone know the reasoning for this?

Simple - the person who took off the inner lining in the store didn't put it on evenly.

THey are the same shell, but the 8k has more padding and a different lining.

I remember hearing that you could bake rbk shinpads and if this is true I'm pretty sure you could bake it and then tape it tight so it will form to fit her leg.

That's what I did with my sons JOFA:s when he went from 13" to 14"s as he found them a bit bulky. I simply heated them up gently with a hair dryer, wraped tape around them and left them that way for a day or so before removing the tape. In fact, it worked out very well.

That's what I did with my sons JOFA:s when he went from 13" to 14"s as he found them a bit bulky. I simply heated them up gently with a hair dryer, wraped tape around them and left them that way for a day or so before removing the tape. In fact, it worked out very well.

Anyone know the official word on this?

I too have done this with one of my sons sets of pads. They got stuck in the bottom of the bag and were almost flattened out. Wearing them he looked like Craig Ludwig. Anyway, I heated them and taped them into shape, the next day they were back to normal.