Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crazykeeper3317

Show off your gear

339457_original.jpg

Hopefully getting a new mask soon, but in the meantime my current mask (Bauer NME3) has been upgraded with a dangler (no more hits to the throat!) and a Star of Life decal. I've been using the dangler for a few weeks - the rattle was annoying at first, but I don't mind it so much now.

• Like 1

339894_original.jpg

And of course right after posting a pic of my old mask, I upgrade. CCM 9000, a Christmas present from my dad. LHS was very helpful. Tried on a Bauer that was similar to my old mask, but larger. That felt okayish. Then the guy suggested this one. Tried it on and my brain went: oh. Oh. This fits. Like an angel's glove hand cupping my skull. (okay, that may be a slight exaggeration). But it does fit very well, and I'm tremendously excited to get a chance to try it out in play.

Nice! I didn't try on any CCM masks; I don't think goalie monkey had any on the shelf when i was investigating masks.

The NME8 (fit 1 aka small) I ended up with shouldn't fit me based on Bauers sizing but fit 2 was huge on me.

Would love to try on a CCM at some point. Can you get them with NC cats eye at retail?

Edited by OptimusReim

I tried on an NME 5, fit 2 and 3, and the 2 was too small and the 3 just kind of flopped around like a bucket. Neithe came down far enough to cover my jaw and upper throat. The CCM felt like it just kind of suctioned my head into it. I ended up with a large - the medium was close but wasn't deep enough and the backplate left a gap. I don't think it sits as high and the chin - the whole angle of the mask - seems to jut forward more than the Bauer. It's hard to describe, especially because I'm just amazed that how well it fits. If pressed I would say the CCM is more of a round-head mask, and the Bauer is shorter and narrower.

The store I went to (LHS) had only bar cages on all their masks in store, and I'm not picky, so I didn't notice or ask if they sold cat-eye (certified or non-cert) separately.

It's a fiberglass shell. It's a little heavier than the last one, but I think that's mostly because it's larger.

Well at least you're not wearing a plastic mask anymore! ;)

After talking to the Warrior Goalie Rep at Winterfest I really wanted to get myself a pair of ritual G2s. But I wasn't a fan of the internal top break on the stop pair.

I decided to start selling off a bunch of my equipment to fund a possible purchase as a semi-local store had pro returns for sale. I went to go try stuff on (specifically the navy blue pair in the photos as they matched my catcher) and fell in love with a pair I never thought I would look at.

These have no internal top break and are super stiff on the thighs, something I really like in my pads. I would've preferred no breaks but I can live with below the knee and it'll probably work out in the long run for me better anyways. Since I was there I decided to upgrade the pants as well as they had a great matching set that is more protective than the normal retail NXG pants.

These updated pads will take a bit to get used to but I already noticed a positive increase in a few things.

Since these pads aren't orange like my old one and my stick's paint is terrible and rubs off FAR too easily, I decided to de-paint the stick with acetone. Not finished yet but natural looks WAY better than painted.

What I went for:

1nyvcdo.jpg

What I got:

OAoOcgY.jpg

My de-painted stick:

YEOlZI7.jpg

• Like 3

Those are beauties!

I really liked the warrior stuff at WF. I love the knee stacks (and how they're solid) and the massive level of customization. I also found the gloves to be extremely comfortable.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the set? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post publicly.

The pads and blocker were bundled together and all the pro return pads need to be purchases as a set. Since they were all used different amounts (or brand new) I am unsure if the pads are all the same price. Best bet would be to just call the store honestly.

The pads and blocker were bundled together and all the pro return pads need to be purchases as a set. Since they were all used different amounts (or brand new) I am unsure if the pads are all the same price. Best bet would be to just call the store honestly.

Oh I'm not planning on buying, I'm just curious what you paid :)

340075_original.jpg

Finally got a pair of pants. Bauer Classics. Most of the images online don't inspire confidence, but there's plenty of padding. It's not as beefy up in the kidney region as the Vaughns I tried on. Actually the Vaughns felt bulky all over. The Bauers are also shorter in the legs, which is a boon to a goalie like me who is short and, let us say, broad. Should be plenty for general rec play, although I think I'm going to need to actively practice putting on my pads with the pants on.

Dumb question: do the thigh boards on my pads go under the pants' legs, or over? Or is it personal preference?

340075_original.jpg

Finally got a pair of pants. Bauer Classics. Most of the images online don't inspire confidence, but there's plenty of padding. It's not as beefy up in the kidney region as the Vaughns I tried on. Actually the Vaughns felt bulky all over. The Bauers are also shorter in the legs, which is a boon to a goalie like me who is short and, let us say, broad. Should be plenty for general rec play, although I think I'm going to need to actively practice putting on my pads with the pants on.

Dumb question: do the thigh boards on my pads go under the pants' legs, or over? Or is it personal preference?

You're right, the Bauer classics look terrible in online photos. Like there's no padding at all! Glad to hear that's not the case. I ended up going with the One.7 pants (cheapest Bauer pants - was tempted to try other brands but I know the sizing for Bauer pants so I knew they'd fit), just because the classics looked so bad.

Tempted to get a set of RYR goalie pants, just so I can have them a bit shorter so they don't interfere with my landing gear as much.

Thigh boards go under the pant legs, btw.

Edited by OptimusReim

I was surprised, since the Classics look like nylon laundry bags online, that they do have pretty decent padding. It's just that it's tighter to the hips and upper thighs - probably a bit like a girdle? And then the outer shell along the upper legs is loose. It feels good motion-wise, but like I said I haven't tried it out yet. I'm 5'6" (and Badger-shaped) and they feel short enough to me without leaving too much of a gap between pads and pants.

Also, thanks for the tip. It's what I get for just going bare-thighed for six months in street hockey. (but now where will I get my bruises?)

Edited by badger_14

Done away with are the sliding toe bridges, and in their place the new Brian's Smart Toe Straps!

I figured since I've already got smart straps on my pads (which I love), I might as well go all the way and put these on too. Custom toe bridges made by Sara @ PAW (These S-Series pads use 2" between the toe bridge holes instead of the typical 3", so bridges have to be made custom). She does amazing work and I highly recommend her!

PgKIAL2m.pngjdSAw3em.png8xrs9Yvm.pngioOX9vum.png71cOexFm.pngMdTfA8Hm.png

I got it in my hands today, and swapped out the stock black straps for white. I'm SO pumped I'm going to get to use this tonight!!

nYJLCBr.png

QfADFH6.png

i2jA4Cc.png

Painted by BMFS Designs in Thunder Bay, ON

IjUkpC3.png