Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philcaz

Protecting Skates from Wearing Away

I recently converted a pair of Easton 800C's to roller hockey skates, put on a pair of E-frames. My problem is that when playing outdoors the composite boot is going to make contact with the rink surface which can be pretty abrasive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do? The side of the soles of my feet get the most wear along with the toes. I tried applying some Toegard to my skates but it dried to a soft rubber surface with very little help (its like protectoe)

Basically anyone know how i can make a wear patch stick to my skates or what coating to put on the skates.

Thanks for any help.

Get a fiberglass patch kit and do up the sides of your skates. It can get heavy, but there's really nothing that holds up the way that it does. The kit is basically fiberglass tape and epoxy, and very simple to use. I've seen it at Home Depot and automotive stores.

I tried blacktoe a long time ago, and it did nothing for me. Then I tried tape w/ blacktoe on top of it. It was a little better, but still died out pretty quickly. I play on Asphalt though, and it's really rough on the skates, especially when the wheels get worn down a bit. Other surfaces may be a bit more forgiving.

I use duct tape. When mission had those rough leather-esque material on the sides of the boots, I would put about 5-10 layers of duct tape over it, starting with a larger piece and gradually getting smaller, so it almost looks like this from the thinest side:

/----------------\

/------------------\

If you catch my drift, the reason for that is because the tape sticks to it's smoother surface better than to the boot of the skate. After each piece, rub it in really deep with a coin, or use a heat gun to kind of melt the glue down. I had some duct tape patches that lasted for at least two months. Good stuff, that duct tape. If you don't like the look, I think some layers of epoxy might do it.

i picked up some epoxy, and im thinking about binding a piece of hard plastic or some thin sheetmetal to the wear spots. Thanks for the help guys

Hard plastic will not bond very well as it would need to flex to match the contour of the boot.

sheetmetal + rough outdoor surface = sparks. You decide whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I use duct tape. When mission had those rough leather-esque material on the sides of the boots, I would put about 5-10 layers of duct tape over it, starting with a larger piece and gradually getting smaller, so it almost looks like this from the thinest side:

/----------------\

/------------------\

If you catch my drift, the reason for that is because the tape sticks to it's smoother surface better than to the boot of the skate. After each piece, rub it in really deep with a coin, or use a heat gun to kind of melt the glue down. I had some duct tape patches that lasted for at least two months. Good stuff, that duct tape. If you don't like the look, I think some layers of epoxy might do it.

I've been using duct tape and doing the same thing. It hasn't lasted me two months but still done a stand up job. Unfortunately it looks terrible. B)

I ended up going with epoxy and then i found some downspout to a gutter in my garage, cut 4 pieces and put them on either side of the side of the sole of each of my feet. Epoxied them in place, and then for good measure put another layer of epoxy coating. Permanent marker black over my handy work and looks like nothing is there. Hopefully it lasts

I've been adding epoxy patches on the sides of my boots for years, it works pretty well if there is a soft layer underneath, otherwise the epoxy will crack when the boot flexes. Usually a 4 x 1.5 x 0.3-0.5 cm patch is enough to last a year or more on mean surfaces.

epoxy works really well, just that it can get a bit messy at times. Stays on pretty well.

I've also tried this before... get some 3M double sided industrial strength tape. 50lb tape from hardware stores, 500lbs tape if you know the 3M rep :) ... tape that to the part that gets worn, and on the other side of the tape you can put some ceramic tile (those that go on the corners with a radius). It worked pretty well, and the ceramic tile lasts pretty long.

If you CAN, use larger diameter wheels. This will allow you to turn sharper before your boot hits the ground. That is...if you are concerned about your boot hitting the ground in your turns. If you are concerned about the boot hitting the ground when you fall...then just learn how to skate better. j/k :P