Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Simon not the only problem

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/...pf-3736357.html

Chris Simon got what he deserved.

The New York Islanders tough guy will pay a steep price for his slash on Ryan Hollweg with a suspension of at least 25 games.

As the former Flame should.

This was a violent act by a multiple offender (this is his sixth suspension for on-ice brutality) and has no place in the game.

For that, he deserves to forego the rest of the season and possibly more.

Hollweg's transgressions haven't gone unnoticed. Last season, he was given a three-game suspension for checking Philly's R.J. Umberger from behind.

He deserved a lot more then three games for that.

Want to start a list?

Hollweg

Gauthier

Avery

Its ludicrous to think that people are trying to defend Simon here. It doesn't matter who the action is on, what he did is inexcusable.

Couldn't agree more, but the actions of the other players is equally inexcusable, unless you're Colin Campbell.

Its ludicrous to think that people are trying to defend Simon here. It doesn't matter who the action is on, what he did is inexcusable.

I don't defend what Simon done in anyway. I think what he is saying is that these type situations would not occur as much if the pest type players were kept in line a little more, but with the instigator rule, and the fear of suspensions if you accrue a few instigators, these players are not as afraid of retribution, so their hits are late, dirty and meant to agitate.

Hollweg's transgressions haven't gone unnoticed. Last season, he was given a three-game suspension for checking Philly's R.J. Umberger from behind.

He deserved a lot more then three games for that.

Want to start a list?

Hollweg

Gauthier

Avery

While I agree with Avery and and Hollweg, Goat has actually toned his game down. He'll line you up and take you out WHILE you're looking. A few years back, he was as dirt as there was.

Take Goat out and insert Jarkko Ruutu. The day someone ends his career on something filthy is the day I may laugh, because let me tell you, karma's a bitch.

I wonder if Jagr has asked Avery about that flop from earlier in the season where he did a double toe loop after Jagr bumped into him... He's scum...

Holloweg was running people late all through the last game against the Pens. Simply not an NHL caliber player. Bring on some contraction so we can weed out these players that pollute our game...

No one is defending Simon, but you can easily argue that if he had punched him in the face instead of using his stick, it would have been well warranted...

If you ask me, this goes way deeper then the NHL. I've said it once and I'll say it again, When I was in High School (only 3 years ago-Connecticut)... Respect? That didn't exist in a good amount of players. If you were vulnerable that just made you an easier target in their eyes. They didn't care. They were invincible and the typical response.. "That's hockey" My response? BS. Running someone from behind is not hockey, Destroying someone in a vulnerable position is not hockey. The sad thing is that they have been taught to play like that. I can't speak for other countries or even other states, But I know in my region we need to a better job of teaching the physical game but more importantly respect. I'm sure were not the only one's either.

Hitting is a part of the game and I enjoy clean hard hits that serve a purpose.

Like you said DarkStar some players just keep crossing the line. If they walk without consequence it will keep happening too.

IMO, a good role model? Shanahan.

IMO, a good role model? Shanahan.

Or, Mike Knuble. Guy doesn't have a ton of skill, but plays the game HARD, plays the game the RIGHT way, or more importantly, plays the game with the respect it deserves.

Nash's been in the AHL all year.

Hollweg's a bum, he's started 2 incidents since Simon because of a questionable hit. He loves to run people from behind. That said he didn't deserve the chop, nobody does.

Chris thanks for the profound insight :rolleyes: ....The thing with Avery though is he has some talent. And you know the league would rather have this type of d-bag than a guy like Goddard, etc.

its hockey, teams need tough guys, get over it

There's fighters, agitators then dirty players. You can do the first two without being the third.

The writer is adding his thoughts to the opinions of the players quoted in the article. The players' opinions are valid.

I don't think it's hockey. Hockey can be physical, it can have fights, it can have bonecrunching hits.

But hockey should not be about BS dirty plays that do nothing but give the game a bad name. Leave that to the NBA or NFL

Nine times out of ten, the better players in the league, and you, me, and everyone knows who they are, do respect each other on the ice and do not cross the line. Nine times out of ten it is the third line/fourth line guy hanging on to his NHL paycheck by the seat of his pants who is crossing the line and not giving a shit about anyone. Each team's top 6 forwards and top 4 defencemen play the game with respect for their opponent. They will put a physical hurt on you given the opportunity but do not make it their job every shift to do so. It is the other 8 players in your line up you have to watch out for. One or two of them just may be a powderkeg waiting to light up one of your top 10. Kaberle comes to mind at the moment as one top 4 defenceman(the Leafs #1 defenceman) who found out the hard way about the danger of one those bottom 8 players.

How serious can you take the players? Serious enough to never turn your back on one of them. Be prepared.

Just look at youth hockey nowadays (15-16-17 years old). If you can knock/injure one of your oppenents who never saw you at the end of a game, most of your friends are going to congratulate you. More than if you score a great winning goal. Even your coach if he's some type of asshole.

The Simon hit still wasn't from behind.

Avery really has shown how much skill he has. Surprised me because I didn't think he had it.

Hollweg should always have an NHL 4th line job, because he is excellent at what he does. A pure agitator who can drop the gloves and has supurb quickness and skating, so he can keep up into the play on both ends. He flat out levels people out there, usually when they are looking face to face. The pure cheap hits are very few and far between and when you are top 5 in the NHL in hits, I am afraid there are going to be some dirty ones

I can't support what he does all the time, mind you.

BTW- The writer looks like he is trying to make excuses..A bum

Hollweg usually has 2 or 3 of those hits every game. He may not be actively trying to injure a player but it's obvious that he really doesn't care if they leave the game on a stretcher and never walk again.

Theo,

I try to put a bit of reasoning and logic in my posts. Sometimes its easier to find than others. I am glad you brought up my previous point and had me explain myself. You are right about Bertuzzi and he will pay the price the rest of his career for what he did. He will probably never be the same player either.

There's fighters, agitators then dirty players. You can do the first two without being the third.

Barnaby is a great example of that comment. He drives people nuts and fights but was never out to kill people.

In all means thow, most of these incidents have happened because of something, they just didnt do it do it, something sparked the fire, cuz it just didnt start on its own, exept a few incidents thow. But sometimes these guys have had enough with guys that either think there tough, or just go out and cause shit and wonder why guys as big Simon crush them with there stick, cuz guys the size of Simon would demolish these so called shit disturbers. As for the Kaberle Janssen thing most ppl thought it was a nasty thing to do, I agree the Janssen hit was dirty but after kaberle made that pass, i dont know where the hell he was looking cuz it took him 3 seconds to maybe see Janssen coming. I mean guys with that kind of skill are always alerts and kaberle wasnt there, i know you can argue this statement but its true, watch the video. I think most of these guys are tired of seeing guys think there tough, cuz guys like Simon were fighters at some point and i guess when they see this kind of bullshit they just take matters into there own hands and do something stupid. But look at Simon closely on the video, it looks like he just wanted to swing at Hollweg for his hit, his intention was not to hit him in the face he just took a swing and hit him the face, he just swung and hit him in the head, i can guarantee you that if Hollweg was something like 6 foot 5 that stick would not have hit him in the face. Just my 2 cents