Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Bauer XXX Goalie Skates

Reviewer Specs:

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 200lbs

Experience: 17 years rec and beer league

vs Shooters: rec to semi pro

Bauer XXX Goaler Skates:

Fit:

Size 8.5E. Bauer/Nike what more needs to be said! These people know two things, marketing and how to make a comfortable shoe. That translates directly to the new design skate boot, they are very comfortable right out of the box. Break in time is one game tops, zero if you bake 'em. Most importantly, Bauer redesigned the heel in the boot. No more "Bauer bumps". The hard plastic heel cup that caused us all so much aggravation in the old style boots has given way to a highly scalloped tendon guard.

9/10

Protection

The protection is good. Bauer cut back the cowlings in the right areas. Less cowling without a sacrifice in protection. The new cowling works well with the modern styled pad and butterfly style play.

9/10

Weight

Of course Bauer went to great lengths to get the weight of the new XXX goalers down. This may have been where they went too far. In an effort to have the lightest skate on the market they attempted scalloped blades, which warped and were replaced by solid steel blades by the time the skates came to market. Also they thinned out the cowlings which I’ll get into in the durability section. Are they light, hell yeah. But I'd take a few extra grams of weight in favour of improved durability.

8/10

Durability

This is where Bauer missed the target. First, the cowlings are so thin that they crack, everywhere (see pics). It only took 3 months for cracks to start forming in my skate cowlings and I take METICULOUS care of my skates. Secondly, these skates are made overseas. I do realize that this is common practice nowadays, but, it is a well established fact that the quality of steel over there is poor. The blades in these skates are a prime example of why the supposed "pro" quality retail stuff still needs to be made in North America. The blades are so soft that the edges literally peel off after only a couple hours of ice time. I have yet to get 4 games in between sharpenings on my skates. Comparatively I used to get anywhere from 10 - 12 games in on my Bauer 3000's (made in Canada).

note: what you cannot see in the pics is how the cowlings are cracking and splintering away at the back of the blade. Also, how the skates "clack" when you walk on them because the "t-lock" has loosened away.

1/10

Intangibles

They look pretty! Again, Bauer/Nike is a marketing company. They know how to appeal to the market. The translucent blue cowlings are unique the silver fading to black boot looks pretty wild. It's easy to get caught up in the aesthetics of these skates.

8/10

Conclusion

If you are filthy rich and can afford to replace the cowlings twice a year or are willing to give up on the translucent blue in favour of a more traditional white cowling from a 7000 skate these are a very comfortable skate. Are they worth the money, probably not, but they sure look impressive.

overall (35/50) 7/10

xxx1.jpg

xxx2.jpg

xxx3.jpg

xxx4.jpg

Reviewer Specs:

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 140lbs

Experience: varsity high school team

Bauer XXX Goal Skates:

Fit: size 7.5 d

The skate fits like a sock for me. Barely any gaps in the boot and is as comfortable as my slippers at home. Although i can put on any top of the line skate and feel comfortable.

10/10

Protection

When you pay this much money for a skate, you expect pro level protection and you indeed get it here. No problems in this department.

10/10

Weight

Pretty light skate. However hard to notice when you got some big pads on top of them but every gram makes a difference. Not the lightest skate on the market but good compared to grafs.

8/10

Durability

Terrible durability on the cowling. I went through 3 pairs of cowling in one season. Then i switched to the older cowlings and they do a great job and it looks sick too!

4/10

Conclusion

I bought these the week they came out about 3 years ago. I love them because of their fit. With a proper fitting skate, you can move better and i could ask for a better fit. Other than problems with the cowlings which have been fixed, great skate.

8.5/10

IMG_1965.jpg

They look better in black anyway imo