Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I brought up this subject probally 8 months ago, and got bashed for it, but now im ready to get it done. As most of you know, my son Landon Jeremy was born on 2-8-07 and i want to get something to show my love for him amd the protection im going to provide for him. I was wondering if anyone here has a tattoo for their children, and if anyone has any ideas. i have not settled on a final design so i figured id ask you guys for any suggestions. i want the tattoo to show love, and protection for my little guy. any suggestions are more than welcome, and if anyone is bored and wants to draw something up id love to see it. thanks guys

Garrett

Edited by cougarscaptain87

something that has 'LJ" on it???

I've thought of doing it, but didnt want my son to ask me what it was and whether he can get the same. He already copies a LOT of the things i do (and say!) so thats the last I want him to do.

Its PP i guess. Best thing you can do for your son is to always be there to comfort him whenever he needs it, to shower him with as much love and support you can. Also, never fight with your wife in front of the kids...

my dad calls him LJ and I feel it is kind of disrespectful. we picked out the full name becasue thats what we like, and for someone to shorten it seems like they want to take control so i wouldnt do the "LJ" idea. as for my son copying me, i would love that. but he is going to be brought up as his own person, if he looks up to his dad and wants to be like me then awesome, if not thats awesome too. hes so young its hard to say, but in my mind right now i plan on being a very relaxed parent when it comes to stuff like this, and strict where the place is right. in my original post i mentioned something with barbed wire to show protection, i got bashed for it last time, and i know its 100% up to me, but i just wanna hear any new opinions on that idea. so far my favorite idea is "Landon Jeremy" with barbed wire intertwining it in the shape of a heart. Any opinions?

my dad calls him LJ and I feel it is kind of disrespectful. we picked out the full name becasue thats what we like, and for someone to shorten it seems like they want to take control so i wouldnt do the "LJ" idea. as for my son copying me, i would love that. but he is going to be brought up as his own person, if he looks up to his dad and wants to be like me then awesome, if not thats awesome too. hes so young its hard to say, but in my mind right now i plan on being a very relaxed parent when it comes to stuff like this, and strict where the place is right. in my original post i mentioned something with barbed wire to show protection, i got bashed for it last time, and i know its 100% up to me, but i just wanna hear any new opinions on that idea. so far my favorite idea is "Landon Jeremy" with barbed wire intertwining it in the shape of a heart. Any opinions?

I know you mentioned the protection imagery, which leads to the strong images like wires or brink or something...but how about something like this:

Get a foot (or hand) print from the little guy...get that on your arm/shoulder (whatever) with his initials and birthdate.

Now...my buddy said that is what he's getting when his kid is born in the Summer...but I'm sure it isn't a 100% original idea to begin with and has been done before.

Or...

A mans hand holding a baby's hand...with the date somewhere on it. Still says protection, but isn't quite the harsh image of the barbed wire.

i like both thoes radio, especially the hand, my favorite picture so far is where hes sleeping on me but has a tight grip on my finger. i also have the portrait idea going through my head. keep em comin guys i really like what im hearing

I'm not trying to put down the idea, but have you considered just not getting a tattoo at all? For starters, it's one of those things that as your son gets older, might be a little embarrassing. More importantly though, I don't think you need to get a tat to show you love him. I realize why you want to do it, and I admire the openness you're showing, but I would really consider this a bit more. I'm not bashing you, just saying that you don't need to prove anything.

to work in the 'protection' concept, why not go with a simple shield design, with his name branded across it. simple idea that can elaborated if needed.

I'm really not seeing the point of this and really think you will outgrow it, especially if you haven't come up with your own concept for the tattoo. I know you got bashed last time, and don't want it to turn out this way, but if you are really serious, sit down, talk it over with the mother, get her impressions and look at some work which resembles what you want. Brainstorm a bit. Tattoo's should be personal. You want it to mean something about you and your son, very few people on here should feel the bond that you want to have. Plus if you wait, you may find a defining moment that sparks you on what to get.

For starters, it's one of those things that as your son gets older, might be a little embarrassing.

I take it your not a parent, but when you are you will realize how i feel. there will never be a moment where i will be embarrased because of my son, or anything to do with my son, including a tattoo that i want to get.

to work in the 'protection' concept, why not go with a simple shield design, with his name branded across it. simple idea that can elaborated if needed.

the shield would definatly get the point across and i like the concept but its not my style, thanks tho for the positive input.

Tattooing has to be the most idiotic fad.

Thank you for a worthless post, im looking for opinions on designs on the tattoo not what you think about tattoos in general.

sit down, talk it over with the mother, get her impressions and look at some work which resembles what you want.

she has been involved in this idea the entire way through, i actually told her about raido's idea with the 2 hands and she really liked that. i know it should be personal and i think there is no better way for it to be personal seeing as it will be for someone of my own blood.

What if you have more kids, though? Does that mean you have to get more tattoos?

i guess i will have to cross that bridge when i come to it, but with my age, i do not see my self having any more kids any time soon.

most of this stuff is lookin good guys, thank you to the ones who have put in useful comments, anyone else have any ideas id love to hear em.

• Like 1

yes, you are right... a FAD!!! only that it has been an artform for hundreds of years worldwide, and oh lets say close to a hundred years in the US, i guess "fad" might not be the right term.

now, do i think some people get tattoo's for the wrong reason, sure. and maybe those are the only people you know and i can understand your thoughts of this being a fad.

for those that care about it, and use ink as a form of art and expression, you might want to be cautious of expressing your thoughts around them.

in Garrett's case, he is marking himself with with love and emotion for what will be a life long endeavour and in many cases a challenge. and i support his decision to ask for outside help. i myself that have 3 so far, each of which mean something very important to me, have asked for assistance in design and concepts. i am not an artistically gifted person, therefore, i ask those that are for help on this matter. which i am doing again right now. given a friend some ideas and said, help me come up with what i'm looking for!!!

Cougar, you are on the right path here. get a handful of ideas that you like, take your time, and pick the one that hits you with the emotion that you feel towards your son. you make that choice, and you will never regret your tattoo!!!

• Like 1

have you researched a tattoo artist yet?

i know some artist focus on the portrait tattoos while others focus on traditional designs etc. Anyway, maybe once you settle on the shop or artist they can help come up with some ideas and work up a rough custom tattoo.

I have never gotten a tattoo, would like to sometime i think, so there may be an up charge for a custom design by the artist. But it might be worth going right to the source to come up with a solid idea.

just my ¢.02

Whatever you do, don't get a picture of the poor kid tattooed on yourself - those tattoos are awful, and the person always comes out looking like a monkey or something.

• Like 1

I take it your not a parent, but when you are you will realize how i feel. there will never be a moment where i will be embarrased because of my son, or anything to do with my son, including a tattoo that i want to get.

I believe he is saying your son may be embarassed by your tattoo.

My dad was thinking about getting one for me and my sisters; which i thought was weird because im 20 but anywho, He went to the same guy who did my tattoo's and the guy said he recommends to anyone who isn't getting a face portrait, to give the artist doing the tattoo a couple things that the kid likes for ex: football, hockey etc.... but they like doing that because they can come up with a design incorporating those things and if you have more kids you can and stuff to it. Plus, I don't know how old you are but doin something like barbed wire may look good or be cool now but is it gonna in 20 years? In 20 years you don't want a tattoo that was suppose to be for your son to look weird or you having regret about getting that design done. Just my 2 cents though.

While I think these days, people do get ink for all of the wrong reasons... 90% of the time, they'll get something and grow to regret it (ie: tribal bands, names of ex- significants, etc), I think it's a great start that your tattoo already has some form of significance. I was in midst of my apprenticeship at a tattoo/piercing parlor when corporate America came knocking... haha. I failed miserably as a tattoo artist, because I was brutally frank with people who came in wanting Mickey Mouse tattoos, or 19 yr old kids ready to put their girlfriends names on their arm..The birth of a first born child is obviously a monumental point in a man's life.

Have you looked into different variances of Celtic shields? A basic shield knot is a symbol of protection, and warding. I've seen thousands of variants from Norse shields, to simple or intricate Celtic shields. You can easily avoid the little guy being embarrassed someday by your tattoo- while your tattoo itself may not spell out his name, it can still certainly symbolize a time in your life. You'll remember it, especially if it's your first. Consider something of multiple meanings- something that could pay homage to your bloodlines, past as well as present and future(I've no idea of your ethnicity, so I can't offer up suggestions...).

my dad calls him LJ and I feel it is kind of disrespectful.

I totally feel you on this one... My name is Anthony Jason, while some close friends and family call me Tony... I cannot stomach people calling me "TJ", or "AJ".

Edited by AnthonyJTa

thanks for the ideas guys, the more and more i think about the portrait i realize im not interested in that. i have researched artists, and oddly enough, there is a guy right in down town of my city that is VERY well respected. nearly everyone i know that has a tattoo has gotten it from him and his work is exceptional. i like the ideas of multiable meanings such as working my ethnicity into the tattoo but im a mutt to be honest and nothing is strong enough for me to really devote my body to that. the idea i cant get out of my head is the idea of Landons hand wrapped tightly around my finger which will show love, protection, and leadership that i will provide to him. obviously im not dead set on anything yet so keep em comin guys.

thanks again-

Garrett

going tomorrow to have a consultation with a very respected local artist to see what he can sketch up. after all of my waiting ive decided on the design of a sketch with my arm/hand coming down from my left shoulder with my index finger extended, and landons arm/hand coming up grasping onto my finger. with his initials and birthday incorporated somehow. big thanks to radiogaga for the general idea. ill have to pay a copywrite fee :)

Try to be creative and design your own.

What do you see that makes you think of your son and makes you smile, no matter what... That's what you should get tattooed on your arm, whether it's abstract in a design or not.

that is my original idea.... radio gave me the idea of the man and the baby hand, and i put my twist on to it. as i said earlier my favorite picture of us is when he is sleeping on me grasping onto my finger, so i have decided that is waht i want. its not as harsh as my original idea of the barbed wire protection and it still does everything i want it to.

going tomorrow to have a consultation with a very respected local artist to see what he can sketch up. after all of my waiting ive decided on the design of a sketch with my arm/hand coming down from my left shoulder with my index finger extended, and landons arm/hand coming up grasping onto my finger. with his initials and birthday incorporated somehow. big thanks to radiogaga for the general idea. ill have to pay a copywrite fee :)

Post a pic when it's done. No worries on a "fee" per say...but if you are every selling any gear that I want we'll work it out then *L*

I believe he is saying your son may be embarassed by your tattoo.

That is correct. I was making the point that your son might be embarassed by your tatoo. I know if my dad had a big tat on his arm about me I'd find that pretty embarrasing.

I'm not trying to put down the idea, but have you considered just not getting a tattoo at all? For starters, it's one of those things that as your son gets older, might be a little embarrassing. More importantly though, I don't think you need to get a tat to show you love him. I realize why you want to do it, and I admire the openness you're showing, but I would really consider this a bit more. I'm not bashing you, just saying that you don't need to prove anything.

People without ink will never understand...

Nothing useful to say as for helping him with his question? THAN DON'T POST. Idiot.

that is my original idea.... radio gave me the idea of the man and the baby hand, and i put my twist on to it. as i said earlier my favorite picture of us is when he is sleeping on me grasping onto my finger, so i have decided that is waht i want. its not as harsh as my original idea of the barbed wire protection and it still does everything i want it to.

Good to hear.

Usually, you'll have an idea for a concept or design that you are looking for, and the artist will help that image become a reality. They do it for a living, and most of them take themselves seriously so they want to put out the best possible design they can do, as well as make their client happy. YOu basically become a walking billboard for their artwork.

Which is why 90% of reputable artists HATE doing flash-designs... they'd rather go full-blown custom.