Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fredrik

Any drummers here on MSH?

Peart is overrated, I saw of video of him on youtube totally making himself look like an idiot playing at a buddy rich tribute concert. He should leave jazz to the greats.

Peart is overrated because he played a buddy rich tribute? (which by the way was actually good). Peart mixes up variations consistently like no other drummer besides maybe Danny Carey. Listen to a couple Rush songs.

Peart is overrated, I saw of video of him on youtube totally making himself look like an idiot playing at a buddy rich tribute concert. He should leave jazz to the greats.

Peart is overrated because he played a buddy rich tribute? (which by the way was actually good). Peart mixes up variations consistently like no other drummer besides maybe Danny Carey. Listen to a couple Rush songs.

I believe the implication was that he didn't play it well.

There are a lot of great drummers, not to mention the many, many more who think they're great, but very few can switch genres well.

I tinker from time to time if I showed up to my practice space early... jump on my drummer's kit and play around. I can keep a beat, but no way am I that good.

You got one hell of an album as your avatar, my dear. But i think You Fail me kills me even more.

pretty much every drummer will list Peart as on of their influences. Portony has taken some of Pearts methods to a higher level. To me he is the better of the two.

But as for other Drummers Marco Minneman and Mike Mangni are some of the best arround.

Im not saying his a bad player but his name gets tossed around as the best drummer of all time too much. And I have listened to a few rush songs, I actually have all their albums and Im seeing them in september. Im a rush fan and theres definately stuff he comes up with that I cant play but everyone focuses on technical stuff these days instead of groove. Id rather watch bonzo through down some grooves then Thomas Lang playing some math equation in drum form. Chops are cool for a minute or so but I cant stand watching a guy with tons of chops playing a solo with no structure.

I'm looking to get a new snare drum, a decent one. I'm looking at either the Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5 x 14 Supra-Phonic or the Ludwig 6.5 x 14 Black Acrolite which is a lot cheaper. Has anyone used both or know the main differences between the Supra-Phonic and the Acrolite?

I'm also in need of some decent hi-hats. I was looking at some 15" A zildjian New Beat. Any opinions on them?

I went with the LUDWIG LM402 14"X6,5" SUPRA PHONIC with a (P85) snare strainer . The most recorded snare drum in history. I've allways wanted to have a deeper 6,5" snare to get that Bonham sound lol. Cant't wait till it gets here...

f_114416m_e023b6b.jpg

As for the hi hats I'll probably go with the A zildjian New Beat in a size 14" or 15", or the Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats. B)

My buddy has been talking a lot about Jojo Mayer lately. Checked him out on youtube and he is very good.

haha, i thought you were referring to checking your buddy and not JoJo. i'm like... no link?? WTF!!

all good!

That JoJo stuff is pretty cool. I like drummers who can produce great sound from simple kits. There is a guy here in town who plays in a 3-piece (drums & sings).

He uses a kick, snare, 2 cymbals and a high-hat....and plays everything from the Beatles to Zeppelin. I've seen him do drum "rolls" by playing snare and hitting the back of the kick. Sounds HUGE.

Reviving an ancient thread. Just got back into drumming after a thirty year layoff. Loving it. Another expensive hobby. sigh. Anyone else out there using the new electronic drums?

I drum here and there, but it's not my main instrument. I played guitar and bass in bands throughout college and a couple years afterwards before I finally gave up on “the dream”. Hockey is more fun for me now, but I do miss the good old days…

I certainly never got a concussion playing guitar I'll tell ya that, although I suppose it’s possible if you fall off the stage (which I've done). One place I played at a couple times called Santefe Café (College Park, MD) the stage was about 15 ft in the air… I never saw anyone fall off, but it definitely crossed my mind when I was looking down on the crowd.

Never left my basement. The beauty of the DTX drums is they make virtually no noise and sound like professionally mic'd drums in your headphones. Rented a PA to get the "acoustic" experience just for some fun. Had my teenage kid telling me to turn it down. Now THAT was a switch.

Never left my basement. The beauty of the DTX drums is they make virtually no noise and sound like professionally mic'd drums in your headphones. Rented a PA to get the "acoustic" experience just for some fun. Had my teenage kid telling me to turn it down. Now THAT was a switch.

You could pick up a powered monitor fairly cheap (<$400) and run the drum brain into that. As a guitar player, I like the idea of not having my ears shredded by someone bashing their crash 36 inches from my ear a couple hundred times an hour.

You could pick up a powered monitor fairly cheap (<$400) and run the drum brain into that. As a guitar player, I like the idea of not having my ears shredded by someone bashing their crash 36 inches from my ear a couple hundred times an hour.

That's actually what I meant. It's a 200W powered monitor that goes to 11.