Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fredrik

Any drummers here on MSH?

As a guitar player, I like the idea of not having my ears shredded by someone bashing their crash 36 inches from my ear a couple hundred times an hour.

I just started playing with my band last week for the first time in a year, and about three months after my most recent hockey related concussion. Without a doubt an electronic drum set would be much appreciated right now… I wore ear protection with the max dB rating possible, but still felt like crap the next day. Actually I think it might be singing that aggravates my concussion, but I’m sure symbol crashes and my amp cranked didn’t help.

In college my brother had an older Yamaha DTX; some gigs we couldn’t use his acoustic set because the room we were playing was too small (like house party living room). I used to love it when we were forced to use that electronic set. It’s a must have for practice, but he absolutely hated it for playing out, the feel is different and the symbols sounded like complete trash… but it was nice to control the volume, and everyone else in the band loved it. Even playing big shows would have been nice with that. Reduced stage volume is always an argument with the “sound guy”. I’d have to beg to get more of everything in my monitor, because they just barely give you enough. The conversation would go like this “uh Mr Sound man, I CAN'T hear the piano, bass, or vocals… oh yeah, I could hear the drums from the moon, but where is my guitar?!?! After a breif lecture on the merits of low stage volume, they'd usually give me a faint incresase. Oh well, I guess as long as it sounds good at the board, "sound guy" did his job.

Controlling stage volume is critical to getting a good mix and that is almost entirely dependent on the drummer. If he beats the piss out of the drums, everyone has to turn up. In ear monitors also help a great deal, as they block a lot of the volume and you can set the levels the way you want.

Controlling stage volume is critical to getting a good mix and that is almost entirely dependent on the drummer. If he beats the piss out of the drums, everyone has to turn up. In ear monitors also help a great deal, as they block a lot of the volume and you can set the levels the way you want.

No doubt. I’ve worked a sound board/mixer before, so I understand the trade off. As a musician I want to feel the music just like people in the crowd. That’s why I think some of my favorite gigs were small ones where we just packed into a corner; mic’d a kick drum and vocals, then cranked up the amps! For those gigs, I’d leave the semi-hollow at home and stick with my Strat, otherwise the feedback is crazy.

Every drummer I’ve played with had heavy sticks and too many crash symbols. My favorite line from my brother when I hopped behind his set for a minute “wow, it sounds a lot louder out here!”… yeah, no kidding.

No doubt. I’ve worked a sound board/mixer before, so I understand the trade off. As a musician I want to feel the music just like people in the crowd. That’s why I think some of my favorite gigs were small ones where we just packed into a corner; mic’d a kick drum and vocals, then cranked up the amps! For those gigs, I’d leave the semi-hollow at home and stick with my Strat, otherwise the feedback is crazy.

Every drummer I’ve played with had heavy sticks and too many crash symbols. My favorite line from my brother when I hopped behind his set for a minute “wow, it sounds a lot louder out here!”… yeah, no kidding.

I prefer to use my amp like a side fill monitor and point it across the "stage". That way I can get the volume I want and not screw up the sound guy too much. 4x12 cabs are also very directional, moving a few feet right or left will change the volume pretty dramatically.

Always wanted to play drums. Even had a kit during highschool. Just never really happened, since I never had a place I could actually play them.

Now that I'm an adult, it almost seems pointless without friends who play other instruments.

As a life long musician and hockey player, i've always maintained that there are 2 types of people who aren't right in the head...goalies and drummers. LOL

My older brother is both so i'm saying that's where I learned this life lesson.

As a life long musician and hockey player, i've always maintained that there are 2 types of people who aren't right in the head...goalies and drummers. LOL

I was always into being a goalie and drummer, as well as being a catcher when playing baseball. Maybe I'm just not right in the head :)

Sadly I never really did the goalie or drummer thing.

I'm just a mucky player and a drummer. Mucky defensemen are also a bit looney (which I am). I couldn't afford to be a goalie with my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) that I have with being a drummer.

Images and Words contains some amazing performances by every member in the band. Metropolis and Take the time are fantastic

Their best album by far IMO.

I've been playing 20+ years now, and just switched to a Roland TD-15 kit out of consideration for my neighbours.
Growing up, I was well into Bonham, Moon, Peart, and Hart.

In the last 10 years or so, my influences have changed somewhat. Now I'm more into Stanton Moore, Zigaboo Modeliste, Jab'o Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Adam Deitch, Cindy Blackman, Clayton Fillyau, Melvin Parker, and David Garibaldi.

I have always said that every drummer I know either looks or acts like Animal from the muppets. .