Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ThePurpleCobra

Recovery after broken ankle

That's great news. Yeah the Motrin will also help with the inflammation as well as the pain. Funny how people don't associate the two.

1 hour ago, A2rhino said:

That's great news. Yeah the Motrin will also help with the inflammation as well as the pain. Funny how people don't associate the two.

just people who don't listen to their doctors

Hah, and today I'm back to a significant limp using a cane for support. I suppose that's not surprising after the PT yesterday, and a couple hours of walking around the house cleaning and such like nothing happened. It's quite the rollercoaster with this crap! 

2 hours ago, A2rhino said:

My guess is that you over did it and that's why. Take it easy today. Ice and elevate.

For sure. I'm sure this will happen a lot. A good day followed by a bad one. 

But, it's just like the pain after working out... if there was no pain then it would just mean I haven't been pushing myself. Gradually the bad days will start to go away. 

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with my doctor with more info about getting me off the blood thinners.

Apparently there's not a lot of studies on the particular type of DVT I had, which means we're basically basing recommendations on the evidence (caused by immobile leg after the ankle break). So, no genetic testing is necessary at this point, and that 3 months of medication is acceptable. She mentioned that 6 months is "safer" but that's counteracted by the risks involved with taking the blood thinners themselves. 

Also mentioned that while traveling via car or plane to wear compression socks and do seated calf raises every 30 minutes. 

In addition my risk to get another one is significantly higher and that, oddly enough, my risk of testicular cancer is higher now. 

So, despite all that I have the news I was hoping for: I'll be off Warfarin in about 3 weeks. Yay!!!

Icing and elevating my foot for 30 mins before bed every night. I think my ankle is juuuuust a bit swollen (yes, that's a divot from my thumb).

IMG_2125.JPG

the walking is getting much better now. Stiff in the morning, though I'm walking with just a slight limp. Still can't stand on one foot though, and rolling out of my steps is still a bit painful. Also putting weight on either side of my foot instead of straight down is still really difficult and painful. Getting there, though.

The ortho said 6 weeks to start sports again, which just happens to be the last day of blood thinners (sept 13). I'm aiming for an oct 2nd return to my team. That's my goal at least at this point.

While I've got nothing factual to contribute, I wanted to thank you for your updates, as it shows one persons detailed experience with something that could happen to anyone in this sport. Not mainly for the medical information, but as a window into what goes on in ones head after such an event, and the road to recovery. Keep your chin up, and good luck with your return to the ice :)

Thanks!

I just figured it may be useful to somebody someday, just like the first bunch of posts in this thread were useful to me. Especially since there is such a massive range of healing times as you can tell based on my minor break taking 3 months just to walk on my own, plus a blood clot, yet a major break with surgery for @A2rhinowas healed in very little time at all. 

Optimus is right. The recovery time does vary from one to another. I went to my third PT session today and have come a long way even since my first visit a week ago today. I'm now doing single leg calf raises and Airex mat (blue pad) balancing. I'm going out to skate for open session tomorrow afternoon. We'll see how that goes. However my swelling is still very similar to yours. Most all of it in the front part of my tongue limiting my range of motion.  So when all is said and done I will be on skate a day under 11 weeks since the injury and 10 weeks since the surgery.

BTW; If you have someone trained in Graston therapy at your PT office ask them to do it. Its not comfortable at all but gets better each session and helps loosen everything up.

www.grastontechnique.com

I wanted to update you on my progress. Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since my injury and Monday will be 10 weeks since my surgery. I went to stick and puck today to test out my ankle. I wasn't expecting much other than to gauge my pain and  progress. I put my boot on with some extra padding in the area of my incision and a compression sock in hopes that it would help reduce any friction or pain from the tightening of the boot at that point. It did not. I decided to suck it up and go out on the ice thinking that maybe the padding in the boot would warm up and lesson the pain,. It did not. I was only able to be on the ice, skating at a slow to moderate pace for 15 minutes. I did not attempt to push off aggressively nor try to power stop. I now know for sure that I need more time for the flesh in the area of the incision and plate in my ankle to heal a bit more and for the swelling to go down.  So for now, Ice and Motrin are on the menu for the night.

I want to add that I'm excited to try out a new ice pack later tonight that I came across on TH but purchased at a local retailer due to having an adult size and being able to get it today.  Its the Shock Doctor Ice Recovery Ankle Wrap. This has a 360 compression ice wrap that you can Velcro tightly, rather than the pillow sized ice pad I was wrapping around my leg that I had from my shoulder surgery. The large ice pad I was using seemed to only work where it was tightest and not around the entire ankle as needed.  

1 hour ago, A2rhino said:

I wanted to update you on my progress. Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since my injury and Monday will be 10 weeks since my surgery. I went to stick and puck today to test out my ankle. I wasn't expecting much other than to gauge my pain and  progress. I put my boot on with some extra padding in the area of my incision and a compression sock in hopes that it would help reduce any friction or pain from the tightening of the boot at that point. It did not. I decided to suck it up and go out on the ice thinking that maybe the padding in the boot would warm up and lesson the pain,. It did not. I was only able to be on the ice, skating at a slow to moderate pace for 15 minutes. I did not attempt to push off aggressively nor try to power stop. I now know for sure that I need more time for the flesh in the area of the incision and plate in my ankle to heal a bit more and for the swelling to go down.  So for now, Ice and Motrin are on the menu for the night.

I want to add that I'm excited to try out a new ice pack later tonight that I came across on TH but purchased at a local retailer due to having an adult size and being able to get it today.  Its the Shock Doctor Ice Recovery Ankle Wrap. This has a 360 compression ice wrap that you can Velcro tightly, rather than the pillow sized ice pad I was wrapping around my leg that I had from my shoulder surgery. The large ice pad I was using seemed to only work where it was tightest and not around the entire ankle as needed.  

That sucks dude. Though not surprising with the plate and an incision I guess. Some people  earlier in this thread took their plates out eventually to skate again.

As for the ice pack, you mean this one? 

IMG_2130.JPG

I've had it for a long time. My old Reactor skates made my inner ankle hurt because of how poor the fit was. I had this thing on the night before I went to urgent care when I still thought I was dealing with a sprain. 

Yes that's the one. How do you like it? I'm still waiting for the packs to finish freezing.

I have no intention of taking it out. The surgeon said I would be able to skate again without pain. But he told me within 5 months when we first spoke. I'm sure its just a matter of waiting for the tenderness and incision to completely heal.

5 hours ago, A2rhino said:

Yes that's the one. How do you like it? I'm still waiting for the packs to finish freezing.

I have no intention of taking it out. The surgeon said I would be able to skate again without pain. But he told me within 5 months when we first spoke. I'm sure its just a matter of waiting for the tenderness and incision to completely heal.

It's okay. Nice because its easy to use (I dont even take the ice packs out, just toss the whole thing in the freezer) and because it stays on well. I'd prefer to see more ice in the heel area but I guess they want you to be able to walk in it. I'd prefer more ice without being able to walk in it, personally). It also seems to leave the gap between the side pack and the front pack right where I actually need the ice, as my pain is mostly on the outside of the foot, just below the ankle bone. 

I want whatever ice pack my PT used a couple weeks ago, it was huge but it formed to my foot really well, and they just wrapped some medical elastic wrap over it. You know, the tan colored velcro wrap. 

I haven't actually been back to PT. My wife had appendicitis on Friday and I took friday and monday off work so it was kind of hard to take wednesday off too. I'm not sure it was worth the time to go there anyway. Maybe for the doctor herself, but the strength exercises were a waste of time. Nothing I couldn't do at home, since I already have the bands they were using. I'm going back wednesday but just for another meeting with the doctor. That will probably be it for PT for me. IT's not especially beneficial at this point. I'm walking almost completely normally. It's just sore in the mornings and swollen before bed, but fine all day now. 

Sounds like the PT was using the same ice pad I have however I just put it in a pillowcase and wrap it around my foot. Works great everywhere except the top of my foot where I really wanted it. The Shock Doc. wrap worked very well. Hits the front of my ankle right where I want it. I put it in a plastic bag then throw it in the freezer.

Being that you have no incision I would suggest you try the Graston Therapy. My PT can perform this everywhere other than where my incision is at this time.  I'm going to request an ultrasound tomorrow. A friend of mine said this really helps. I'm also going to ask for a script of Voltaren gel. The stuff is great for inflammation.

3 hours ago, A2rhino said:

Sounds like the PT was using the same ice pad I have however I just put it in a pillowcase and wrap it around my foot. Works great everywhere except the top of my foot where I really wanted it. The Shock Doc. wrap worked very well. Hits the front of my ankle right where I want it. I put it in a plastic bag then throw it in the freezer.

Being that you have no incision I would suggest you try the Graston Therapy. My PT can perform this everywhere other than where my incision is at this time.  I'm going to request an ultrasound tomorrow. A friend of mine said this really helps. I'm also going to ask for a script of Voltaren gel. The stuff is great for inflammation.

Yea she did some of that when I was there. 

Well, I got the "brace" in. Useless. It's honestly less tight than my socks are (I wear Swiftwick Aspire Five). I'll probably just tape it with the wide roll athletic tape, or just not bother. My player skates fit just fine. My goalie skates, I had to re-bake the right one to open it up quite a bit to get it on my foot but I think it's fine now as well. 

I found that I don't have any problems with standing in my skates but the ankle is still pretty weak. That's easily confirmed by my inability to stand on one foot. No issues as far as weight bearing (no problem if I hold onto the wall) but the minor adjustments I need to make with my foot to maintain balance are painful. I've been trying to build up some strength there by literally just standing on one leg about once an hour while at work. It helps that I have an adjustable desk that goes from sitting to standing with the push of a button! Definitely feeling that every night, though.

I was late for work yesterday and literally running around the house. I RAN down the stairs. Didn't even realize it until I got into the car. I guess it's a good thing when you stop thinking about it!

The area on the top of my foot and also just below the outer ankle is very sore every night. Also I'm finding my leg is sore in other places, most notably the top of the calf just below the knee area. I'm a bit concerned because of the blood clot I had in that leg (in my head at this point, soreness = blood clot) but it's not the same kind of soreness that was. At least, I don't think. If it gets any worse I'll be at the hospital right away but as long as it stays minor I'm sure it's just sore from being used for the first time in months. Still going to shoot my doctor a message, though.

I think I may try to skate this weekend. Even if I put the skates on, do three laps and go home, I'll be beyond ecstatic. 

I also rationed out the exact number of pills I'll need from the new prescription (bottle has 100 in it) and put the rest into the old bottle. Just so I can look at it every night when I'm taking them and see the number of pills getting smaller and smaller, knowing that when the bottle is empty, I'm done. 

Still targeting Oct 2 for my return to the crease in a game. I may try to hit a pickup before then, but that's probably it. I also may put my gear on the week before (the 25th) just to take warm-ups. Get on the ice, stretch, maybe a couple shots and then hand the crease over to our other goalie. And beyond that, I may have the other goalie show up and put at least her lowers on for my first game, just in case I get in there for a period and decide I'm not ready. We'll see. But I'm definitely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Had my second PT session on Wednesday. Much better. The exercises were definitely turned up, to the point where I couldn't do them. Started on a bike to get warmed up, then moved to a board with an incline that you basically put in front of the wall, stand on it, and lean forward. The calf stretch you get from it is crazy. My GOOD leg still hurts from it! Then she came in and did a lot of massage and adjustment of my foot, did the whole metal thing on the painful part of my ankle (just below and in front of the ankle bone), and we did a lot of me pushing against her hand side to side (up and in, down and out, etc etc).

Then they wanted me to try doing things I just couldn't do. One thing was lunges. REALLY, LUNGES!?! I tried my best but at this point a lot of my pain and lack of motion is actually in the midfoot. Which leads me to.... single leg calf raises! Just basically standing on your tippy toes, up and down. I can do that on both legs, but on one? Not happening. The pain is actually around the ball of the foot area when I try that. So they suggested go up with both feet, then lift the left foot and go down with just the right. Still not happening. So the last result was to go up on both feet, come down on both feet, but try to shift weight towards the bad foot as much as I can. That worked but man it hurt.

So today at work I'm using my desk in a standing position for the first time since I started working here in June. Trying to stand on one foot as much as I can, trying to do calf raises as much as I can, lots of ankle rotation, etc. Just need strengthening at this point.

First time in four months on the ice. Wearing the helmet because I imagine a concussion plus blood thinners equals bad news.

Was only on the ice for 15 mins or so, and needed my ice pack almost immediately when I got home, but man it felt so good to be out there.

Both feet and legs very fatigued and tired quickly. My ankle was mostly okay, only slightly wobbly. Stopping was a bit uncomfortable, and the initial push of a backwards c-cut (like I was backing into the crease) was painful. But it will get there. Just have to keep building strength.

If nothing else, it was huge for the mental aspect!

IMG_2153.JPG

• Like 3

Way to go man! Happy to see you on skates. I'm going to give it a try again myself this weekend. I saw above that the PT did perform Graston (the metal piece) treatment on you. I have found this to work great.

2 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

Way to go man! Happy to see you on skates. I'm going to give it a try again myself this weekend. I saw above that the PT did perform Graston (the metal piece) treatment on you. I have found this to work great.

I didn't see much of a difference besides it being sore after :P

The real issue is just the fatigue in the feet (BOTH feet. Actually, the left was almost MORE tired) very quickly. That will just take time.

8 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

Actually, I was just thinking... this is meant to break down scar tissue right? I can imagine that being a whole lot more useful for somebody who actually had surgery, yea?

Its actually for both scar tissue and mostly the fascia that surrounds the muscles. In short the muscle cant grow or expand without the fascia doing the same. So by doing this it stretches and loosens up the fascia around the muscle helping better circulation, oxygen and nutrient rich blood causing faster recovery, growth and stimulation to the muscle. A lot of pro athletes are now incorporating this into their routines.

Last Sept I was submarined from behind on a breakaway and crashed into the boards feet first, resulting in a broken displaced fibula. 2 weeks later a plate and 7 screws were placed to line everything back up. I started PT in Dec and finished in Feb, 2 to 3 times a week. Missed 12 weeks of work. I started skating again in Feb and by July I had been on the ice 3 times a week. The hardware was a constant bother, if I goy any kind of bump or put awkward pressure on the outside of my left skate I was done. July 19 I had the hardware taken out. I am skating again and the feeling is much better. I m still having a n issue with the top of my skate boot putting too much pressure on where the break was. It swells and looks like a mosquito bite. I'm hoping this goes away with time, if not ill have to find a skate that has a higher boot. Ive tried wrapping my ankle with an ace bandage to provide more cushion, it helps minimally. Im 37 and sure don't bounce like used too.