Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ThePurpleCobra

Recovery after broken ankle

yeah....my ankle is wider with the two plates in there, causing skate fiting to be trouble. I went with 9k, using the pumps to help with the difference. Seems to be good so far.

went to the LHS and worked up my boot with the owner, who had a similar injury (his limitations is a slight loss of forward flex, and has nothing he cant do other than skiing hurts a bit)

they're ugly as hell on that inside ankle, but they fit like a dream now! i can flex forward and everything. should get cleared to hit the ice on thursday.

Currently i have a loss of 5 degrees on my plantar flexion, so they're expecting me to gain it all back when the swelling is reduced.

i was cleared and released form my doctor on thursday.

i skated today, 99 days post surgery. i can do cross overs going to the left, but to the right im not strong enough (and theres pain). I can go backwards reeeeaaaallly slowly, and stop facing the left. havent tried to the right. I only lasted 30 minutes, and tried not to go too hard, but i did get moving a couple times.

Need to get my skates sharpened with a deeper hollow, i think i'm on 11/16" right now, which is what i got in june. between harder ice and weaker legs, it was sliding out a little when i got moving faster.

skated yesterday, almost 100%

forwards:powerskating/speed skating,left and right crossovers, stopping at full speed on a dime, sharp turns is all good (thank god)

backwards:im getting the hang of it again, crossovers on one side are good, the other not so much

a couple more sessions, and i should be 100% (i hope)

now i just need some skates that feel and fit better ^_^

i know more top of the line skates are stiff, but the amount of stiffness im gonna be encountering should be negligable

my ankle is 100% healed by now only losing a small amount of flex forward, backward,and sideways

glad to hear yours is going smoothly, aviator... mine has been an absolute bitch lately...

i know it sucks, just wait a little longer and everything should be good

what exactly is bothering you?

and sabres, ive seen the XXV for 260 i think

EDIT:nope, forget it, its 300

Edited by aviatorhockey#10

I'd bump the price up to $300 then. That opens up the 100AG's, which are my current skates -- and are (apparently) better than last years' Fuels (95 XP/AG) and the XXV.

If you fit into one of those, you won't fit in the other. What are your current skates?

Edited by sabre09923

i'm in vectors right now, and i think that RBK's fit similarly to CCM

i'll be going to paragon in NYC which has all of my options, so i can try all of them on and see which feels best

glad to hear yours is going smoothly, aviator... mine has been an absolute bitch lately...

i know it sucks, just wait a little longer and everything should be good

what exactly is bothering you?

just pressure on the inside screw heads when i jam on the brakes or do backwards stuff. lot of scar tissue straining and tearing still.

i'm getting better at hitting that outside edge, so atleast something is improving.

i'm in vectors right now, and i think that RBK's fit similarly to CCM

i'll be going to paragon in NYC which has all of my options, so i can try all of them on and see which feels best

RBK's are noticeably deeper and have a wider heel. Good luck though.

You'll never know what will fit you.

I played some hockey for the first time today, 120 days post surgery. I felt pretty good, every now and then id catch an edge where my leg wasnt strong enough or my ankle wasnt too happy and i went down. overall i was happy, though.

Whenever someones leg brushed mine or stick hit my boot it caused some discomfort (more so when my leg got pushed a bit)... I'm probably going to try to procure some of those mckee style shot blockers...

Edited by puck_it

so hows the recovery and the return to hockey been for you guys?

it's been awesome, the only time i really thought about it was the first time i got on skates after the cast came off, but other than that its like i never broke it

it's been awesome, the only time i really thought about it was the first time i got on skates after the cast came off, but other than that its like i never broke it

same for me, except i had to wait a couple months to sakte for the first time

i have a game later today, we'll see how it goes

i've done some drop in pick up games. i still have a lot more of the fine muscle control to get back... gonna keep hitting the weight room as well. It's been raining 3 days straight here, so my ankle felt like crap.

At any rate, it has give out on me a few times, all towards ends of shifts.

I've got a pronger/mckee/gleason style skate guard made up out of plastic. I doubt it would hold up against a real slap shot, but it's added protection on my foot to deflect sticks and the like. I wore it the last time, had stick marks on it, and i can honestly say i dont remember getting hit. Before i had it made up i felt every little thing. very small outside chance I'll get one made out of some fiberglass or carbon fiber. I'll get some pics up later when i finish painting it black and lacquering it

Edited by puck_it

i had my first game exactly 6 months and 1 day from thursday April 26th (when i broke my ankle)

i can tell you, after such a long period of time not playing exaustion really gets you

it was kinda tough, and i forgot what the hell i had to do-but we still won

6-5 so its all good

same for me, except i had to wait a couple months to sakte for the first time

i have a game later today, we'll see how it goes

yeah i skated the day i got my cast off haha