Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ThePurpleCobra

Recovery after broken ankle

well last Sunday I broke my ankle when someone stick checked my blade and went feet first into the boards. It wasnt a bad break but i am still out for six weeks. What does everyone sugest for leg work and ankle streghth for when i get my boot taken off. And how long should it take for me to skate again?

Edited by ThePurpleCobra

that other post was mine, i broke my ankle aswell (straight through the growth plate on the tibia side, i think). it depends where the break really is and how well you heal and respond to physical therapy. when you get the cast taken off i strongly recommend going to a physical therapy (has greatly helped me), and then your doctor along with your physical therapist will decided when they think its the right time to return to hockey, its not a good idea to go back too early as hockey is considered a dangerous sport and you could reinjure it. where exactly did you break it, you can even post an X-Ray if you'd like, because that would be simpler to understand

Edited by aviatorhockey#10

i broke the ankle bone that connects to the fibula and its a clean break no shifting of the bone. I have it on cd but its with the orthopedic guy now but i go back tuesday for follow up x-rays. he said 6-8 weeks but there is really no pain and idk what he means by 6-8 weeks

you have to ease back into it. Right now all those tendons and ligaments are just chilling out because they can't move. Over time they will shrink and contract. Once you are mobile again, you have to take time (physical therapy) to get everything back to a spot where you can start to add strength back to your legs and get skating again.

If you are really hardcore, you could go on a serious bulk cycle and add some quality weight to the top half of your frame.

When he says 6-8 weeks he means thats how long it will POTENTIALLY but normally take for the bone to heal to be able to support your body weight again. Just the period of time for the bone that's broken to heal.

On the subject of how long, I broke my ankle 2 years ago, forget exactly what part, but I was in a cast for 6.5 weeks, went through physical therapy and couldn't skate for another month. There was just no strength in it and it continually hurt. I'm not saying this will be your problem, I'm just saying that take your time and let it heal right, I'm glad I did because I haven't had problems since.

Hope this somewhat helps. It all depends on how much strength you get back and how good it heals. Its up to your body and the physical therapy after. Good luck to you during your recovery.

yep by 6-8 weeks he means that after the 6-8 weeks (i only needed 6, thank god) the cast will come off, but that doesnt mean right after its taken off you can walk, like with me the bone healed completely but the bone is still fragile so i cant put any weight on it, so its cructhes for me for 3 weeks

sloooooowly get back into it. You dont want to rush it, play a few games and be out for a longer period if it reoccurs. Take time to make sure it has healed, and then strengthen it again.

There are some exercises you can do, best to check with the doc before you do them. The physiotherapist should have a pretty good regime that you can do at home.

I broke my tibia and fibula wed night. breaks go into my ankle joint. i have surgery the middle of this week to get paltes and screws... im looking at a 3 MONTH recovery... ugh

I broke my tibia and fibula wed night. breaks go into my ankle joint. i have surgery the middle of this week to get paltes and screws... im looking at a 3 MONTH recovery... ugh

sorry to hear that, luckly mine wasnt half that bad

here are the pictures, you can see the break on the right side of the x-ray (fibula)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8528/evanankle1pu8.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4425/evanankle2lz7.jpg

today i got a hard cast on for three weeks then after that he said i can ride the stationary bike and the 2 weeks after that i can run (knock on wood)

Edited by ThePurpleCobra

that looks like a pretty nasty fracture, did it break completley though or no. only three weeks huh, thats really good (well better than 6, like i did) good luck with recovery

Resize the pics (or just post the link), unless you want to get a warning for oversized pics. Got one myself, so i know what im talking about ;)

You're lucky; the talus wasn't broken.

You're unlucky in that the break is so far down close to the knob; there are a lot of tendons and ligaments in that area, and the skate will be over the tender area.

I'm not a doctor, but I broke my leg and went through the recovery too.

saw the dr and my xrays today... i broke the opposite ankle in half... that's nicely in place. need two screws to fix that one. the fibula was broken higher up, is all nice and screwed up like WHOA (ill try to get an image)... that needs a plate and screws. theres a ligament near there and i might need a screw through the ligament, tibia, and fibula. then i get a 2nd surgery to get the screws out since i have thin skin around the ankles and would have major discomfort in skates. It's a bum deal... 12 weeks if the ligmanet thing needs a screw... 8 otherwise. then physical therapy, a removal, etc...

i really do think im out of beer league play until january. :( bummed big time

surgery is on thursday

edited to add: dont mean to hijack your thread, or anything.. hope you dont midn if i tag along ;)

Edited by puck_it

saw the dr and my xrays today... i broke the opposite ankle in half... that's nicely in place. need two screws to fix that one. the fibula was broken higher up, is all nice and screwed up like WHOA (ill try to get an image)... that needs a plate and screws. theres a ligament near there and i might need a screw through the ligament, tibia, and fibula. then i get a 2nd surgery to get the screws out since i have thin skin around the ankles and would have major discomfort in skates. It's a bum deal... 12 weeks if the ligmanet thing needs a screw... 8 otherwise. then physical therapy, a removal, etc...

i really do think im out of beer league play until january. :( bummed big time

surgery is on thursday

edited to add: dont mean to hijack your thread, or anything.. hope you dont midn if i tag along ;)

nope not at all this is general discussion on recovery

wow, seems like everyone is breaking their ankles. A few weeks ago we were playing a game and my buddy went in for the puck and a guy from the other team steps on his blade and slides into the boards breaking his ankle. Then the team finishes the game by trying to fight us... because obviously it was our fault he stepped on one of our blades. :rolleyes:

Anyway, get better guys! Best of luck in your recoveries. :)

that really sucks, but it could be worse. I'm going to have to consider disc replacement surgery in the next few years and that could mean the end of my hockey days... again, it could be worse. I wish you the best in recovery.

here are the pictures, you can see the break on the right side of the x-ray (fibula)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8528/evanankle1pu8.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4425/evanankle2lz7.jpg

today i got a hard cast on for three weeks then after that he said i can ride the stationary bike and the 2 weeks after that i can run (knock on wood)

Dont jump back into it. I broke mine a little higher up than yours. Took me out of the cast after 3 weeks wasnt fully healed. Cleared me to play hockey a month later. 6 months later go to a different doctor still hadnt fully healed. Couldnt do anything physical such as running ,riding a bike for 3 months after that. Almost had to have bone graft surgery done because of bad doctors advice.

my recovery will probably end up being longer because i keep falling or slipping and putting my ankle down to support me

haha, maybe we should get you a wheelchair! Ummm if everyone donates $0.50 I think we can get this done! ;)