Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

How do I choose the correct stick/shaft flex?

Little off-topic but was wondering what the average size guys out there use. I'm 5'9" in shoes and 200lbs. I've used 100-110 flex cut maybe an inch or so for a long time. Seems like the High school kids (I'm 27) I see these days more often than not range from 75-85? Even at the age I had 100"s, I would say I have good mechanics but so do some of the kids at the rink so seems strange that they would use such a whippy flex.

More pros are at 85 than 110. There are a lot of people that seem to think that if their stick flexes that it isn't stiff enough. I prefer to let the stick do some of the work. I'm about 6' 235 and I use 85-95 flex sticks.

More pros are at 85 than 110. There are a lot of people that seem to think that if their stick flexes that it isn't stiff enough. I prefer to let the stick do some of the work. I'm about 6' 235 and I use 85-95 flex sticks.

I agree. I like the 85 flex, uncut, and it gives me a chance to use all the stick's capabilities. It helps me with getting more velocity on my shot both around the net and on the move. I've used 110 flex and while it took away from my shooting, especially my wrist shot. I wouldn't mind using 75-80 flex but I don't know if I can afford that preference haha.

Earlier in the thread a few people mentioned having to experiment to find the lie that works for you since there is no "right" answer. I found a two piece set up is great for experimenting with different lies and curves. Helps keep the cost down a bit since you can usually find used blades fairly cheap.

I always found my slapshots were significantly better with a 100 flex stick than 85. I've been out of competitive hockey for awhile now so I change positions a bit. If I was playing D I'd use a 100 flex, and 85 for forward. I usually cut my sticks down about 1-2 inches so I guess that knocks the flexes up roughly 5-10... "units".

The strain on your shoulders with a higher flex was mentioned and I definitely think this is a factor worth considering. I'm coming off shoulder surgery, and while the slapshots weren't the cause (I can pinpoint a specific incident a few years ago that started my shoulder issues), I have no doubt they compounded the problem. I reduced flex and eventually stopped taking slapshots altogether because of the strain they put on my shoulder. When I get back on the ice won't be using anything above 85-90 flex anymore and I'll probably give something lower than that a shot.

Some people will think this is stupid since it has nothing to do with shooting, but how much the stick flexes when you aren't shooting was a big factor for me. I can't stand it when the stick starts to give in on you while fighting for the puck or if you get knocked off balance a bit and lean on your stick. I'm sure this is something a lot people couldn't care less about, but it always annoyed the hell out of me when I tried whip flex sticks. Might factor in the decision making process for a few you.

Earlier in the thread a few people mentioned having to experiment to find the lie that works for you since there is no "right" answer. I found a two piece set up is great for experimenting with different lies and curves. Helps keep the cost down a bit since you can usually find used blades fairly cheap.

I always found my slapshots were significantly better with a 100 flex stick than 85. I've been out of competitive hockey for awhile now so I change positions a bit. If I was playing D I'd use a 100 flex, and 85 for forward. I usually cut my sticks down about 1-2 inches so I guess that knocks the flexes up roughly 5-10... "units".

The strain on your shoulders with a higher flex was mentioned and I definitely think this is a factor worth considering. I'm coming off shoulder surgery, and while the slapshots weren't the cause (I can pinpoint a specific incident a few years ago that started my shoulder issues), I have no doubt they compounded the problem. I reduced flex and eventually stopped taking slapshots altogether because of the strain they put on my shoulder. When I get back on the ice won't be using anything above 85-90 flex anymore and I'll probably give something lower than that a shot.

Some people will think this is stupid since it has nothing to do with shooting, but how much the stick flexes when you aren't shooting was a big factor for me. I can't stand it when the stick starts to give in on you while fighting for the puck or if you get knocked off balance a bit and lean on your stick. I'm sure this is something a lot people couldn't care less about, but it always annoyed the hell out of me when I tried whip flex sticks. Might factor in the decision making process for a few you.

I'm with you on this 100%. I used to use an intermediate stick for roller hockey (lighter puck and I have smaller hands anyways) and loved it to whip the lighter roller puck. But, I hated how it flexed during board battles and forget about taking faceoffs. I've switched to 75-77 flex sticks and only cut a couple inches off. Once the stick breaks in after a few uses it feels just about perfect. I take primarily wrist shots and few snap shots. I never take slap shots. I also use the 75-77flex sticks for ice hockey and love the feel when shooting. Not a fan of this flex for faceoffs so I try to keep to playing a wing position more often then not.

I noticed that Bauer 95 flex and Easton 95 flex cut to the same length are night and day different. I use mostly pro stock/custom order. The Bauer One95 95flex is almost perfect for me 6'4 280lbs where as surprisingly the Easton 95 flex in both RS and S19 were a bit too stiff. I can use it but I don't have the pin point control I normally would with shot placement. So this could also be because of the kick point differences? I'm tempted to try an 85 flex RS just to see. Anyone got any input on Warrior's?

I noticed that Bauer 95 flex and Easton 95 flex cut to the same length are night and day different. I use mostly pro stock/custom order. The Bauer One95 95flex is almost perfect for me 6'4 280lbs where as surprisingly the Easton 95 flex in both RS and S19 were a bit too stiff. I can use it but I don't have the pin point control I normally would with shot placement. So this could also be because of the kick point differences? I'm tempted to try an 85 flex RS just to see. Anyone got any input on Warrior's?

I know easton used to grade the flex from a few inches down so people could cut the stick a bit and get the retail rated flex. I'm not sure if easton still does this, but if they stopped it would explain why the newer models like the RS and S19 seem stiff than previous models. Although, being 6'4 I doubt you take much off your sticks...

Hi guys like a lot of guys said before. Theres no formula for the right flex its just trial and error. You grab a bunch of sticks and do some shooting to see what you are comfortable with. In my case i'm 6-4 and around 240 pounds and i feel best with an 87 flex not cut.

I'm trying to find the right stick flex. I cut just over 9" off my current stick the Warrior Diablo. Given that I cut so much off I'm thinking about going to an intermediate stick. Do any of you use an intermediate stick? I'm an adult and pretty strong, but on the short side. I'm not too big on the smaller shaft dimensions but if I end up with a better flex for me that would be great. I guess what I'm getting at is, is an intermediate stick appropriate for a strong person but one that has to cut the stick quite a bit?

I've been working to set up a demo with someone to get accurate information on some sticks. I had to cancel in January due to some scheduling issues, I'm hoping to do it at the end of March.

any update on this if you were able to set up the demo?

Hi,

I am currently using Bauer Apx Int 67. I find it kinda of soft for me. If i will to cut my stick down by 4" & add 4" composite butt end, will the stick flex be at 80 flex?

you found that the bauer wasn't as stiff as easton? I find that eastons are a bit softer than bauer in terms of stiffness. I use an 87 bauer and 100 easton. I'm 6'3 230

what would be good for a 11 year old kid

int

4'8

120 lbs

to give you an example for me I was 5'7 as a 12 year old. I used an aluminum easton 80 flex

Hey, been mia from this thread a long time. Going back to what you said Chadd I realize a lot of pro's use 85's but, I just always found them to be too whippy on slapper's. I think it has a lot to do with what Strummer said to, the feel when receiving passes and I was taught to flex the stick versus letting the stick the work a la Brett Hull style. That's probably the main problem wrister's were always pretty nice with the 85's but slapper's felt wrong mainly because I think I was torquing them in the way I do with 100's and 110's.

Can't get an intermediate composite stick to suit my height and weight.

I am 135 lb and 5'6" tall and like a stick length below the chin with skates on so about 57" with the tip of the blade on the floor.

It seems in Eastern Canada the women's shafts/sticks never got off the ground, but we did get Junior shafts, but these were only 50 flex. These fit my height, but even if I cut the stick off to the chin the flex was far too light.
Now I have paid a good amount for the intermediated composite Bauer TotalOne 60 flex (full length) and I thought I had something. It was lighter and the shaft was thinner so it fit my hand much better, but the stick was far too long for me!

I like using a short stick, so without skates I cut my expensive Bauer at my chin that translates into just over 75 flex and for a short shaft I have a hard time bending it and can't get any flex into my shots.
It appears I am caught in the middle of all that is available to me, my size just happens to put me inside or outside my flex zone.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there intermediate sticks available that once cut would give me about a 60 flex?

Thanks - Alan

what would be good for a 11 year old kid

int

4'8

120 lbs

See my later post, I am 135 lb and 5'6" and have difficulty with an intermediate Bauer cut to 75 flex. I say he needs the 50-60 flex at the most!

I am quoting myself here as well as one of the members who did not get much of an answer, only one from me that was not much help!

See my later post, I am 135 lb and 5'6" and have difficulty with an intermediate Bauer cut to 75 flex. I say he needs the 50-60 flex at the most!

Looking at my scrawny frame 5'6" 135 lbs and small hands, I find that the junior composite sticks at 50 flex have way too much flex but are my length, I might cut an inch or two off.

My intermediate TotalOne Bauer was a 60 flex with a narrow shaft, but was over my head when placed on its tip. Cut off I am at a 75.

What the heck is out there for my cut size and flexibility?

Can anyone advise what I might purchase (brand), there has to be guys out there that are my size and like to flex the stick.

Thanks - Alan

Did you ever look at the Miken accuflex sticks?

Chadd,

This is definitely something I will look into. I would prefer it not be an on-line deal, but the selection seems good with my very short look. Now if the have some mid 3/4" curves I am really interested.

Thanks - Alan

Did you ever look at the Miken accuflex sticks?

Chadd,

Great site, if nothing else I will be purchasing one stick for sure. One shortcoming is the limited blade choices. Only 2 selections and a depth of 1/2". What would suit me perfectly would be the intermediate Accuflex 2.0 Milken at 54" and 62 flex as you suggested.

I thought I was doing well by purchasing the (expensive!!) 60 flex intermediate TotalOne Bauer It's not this years model at 60" NXG, but last years at 62"!!!!! I had to cut 7" off to just below my chin. Now I am struggling with at least at 75 flex if not a bit more.

I wonder why they make an intermediate stick and rate it at 60 flex when it is 62" long? To use this stick at full length one would have to be much taller and heavier than my 5'6", 135lb frame. It seems to me that for someone that size it would be like a noodle at 60 flex and 62" in length. All I thought I had to do was cut bit off, why not, it was an intermediate stick! I feel stupid now for buying it.

Now the Milken at 54" and 60 flex is understandable, the only drawback is the lack of blade selection.

Again Chadd thanks for the link and if there are any other manufacturers out there, people please let me know.

Alan

I think as a whole, most forwards use too stiff of sticks. To me the problem is functional game shot vs. warm ups shot. With a stiffer model stick you can usually bring the heat with clappers and snap shots in warm ups because you can wind up from the blue line to the tops of the circles. Most people base their ideal stick flex off of how hard they can smoke the puck off the cross bar in warm-ups instead of focusing on their functional game shot. As most of you know, when playing more advanced competition you rarely find time and space in the offensive zone and release speed/ release with minimal effort become exponentially more important.

I'm 6'5" 230, with a 65" stick I'll use a 3-4" plug. According to Bauer a 3-4" plug will sacrifice 10-15 flex. With that in mind I like my flex to be in the 70-80 range for functionality.In my opinion, most shooters in the pro's use a lower flex for this exact reason. You don't want to have to work too hard to get your ideal release because often their will be a stick on your hands, someone back-checking, etc.

I'm trying to nail down an issue with a new stick to see what exactly it is that's making it not work for me. To start I've just gotten back into roller hockey since a good 8 or so years away. Back then I had an aluminum shaft Christitan stick and Easton outdoor friendly blade. Sticks have come a long way since then

I picked up an Easton eq40 110 flex stick to start. Looked like a good composite to try without completely breaking the bank. So far so good. I'm actually very happy with it other than the blade getting torn up for outdoor play/practice. The guy at the hockey shop recommended it and the flex due to my size. I'm 6' 205lbs. I thought it had been working very well for me.

Takes us to now. Did some reading on here about people often choosing sticks that are too stiff so decided I wanted to pick up a 2nd stick. Got a Reebok 16k shaft and Easton abs blade. Blade is the exact same curve as the eq40 stick. This shaft is a 85 flex. I know the kick point is low on it. No sure about the eq40. I cannot for the life of me shoot with this new stick. It seems so hard to get any elevation on the puck. Snapshot or writer is my go to shot and with this stick its awful. Lengths are identical too. I pick up the other stick and immediately shoot well again.

I'm trying to nail down what might be the issue.

-blade too soft?

-flex too soft for me?

-something about the stick construction?

I purposely got the same curve because it seemed to be working for me on the eq40 and it was one less variable to change. At this point I'm ready to just unload it at a loss and buy a different stick. Should I give it some time or have I quickly discovered what will and won't work for me?

There's no way for us to really know without seeing you shoot. It could be that the flex is not right for your form, or it could be something else.

Kick-point

I have supplied a link below that may help with your questions, but, I can answer, I think, the kick-point and a bit about the slap shot. I believe it has already been discussed earlier in this post.

Supposedly the low kick-point gives the ability to get a wrist shot off faster while the mid shaft is better for the one-timer for blasting a slap shot when you can get all of your power into it. The link below explains this, but then goes on to say some of the best players use either one with the best of results.

On the slap shot a good open face will get the puck up for me just about all the time, but with little open face I am like you.

It is odd though that In motion, skating towards the net and slapping, my shot gets up just about every time no matter what stick. There must be a correlation here, but I can't put my finger on it.

The link comments on the slap shot (I don't agree with some comments) along with many other items, check it out.

- http://wildabouthockey.blogspot.ca/search/label/hockey

Alan