Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

Video Game Console Question

Here is what I am up against...have to get NHL 08...I currently have an X-Box and the game is not being offered on it.

I am going to sell my X-Box and games and change systems so I can get it. I don't play a ton of games...only sports such as NHL games, NCAA Football, your occasional soccer or baseball game. I am a basic gamer, I don't connect on-line or use the console as an entertainment unit.

Do I buy a PS2 for dirt cheap (they are new for $130 and new games are $29) which is a semi-temporary fix or go big and get a 360 or PS3?

How are the graphics on a PS2 compared to an original X-Box? How is the X-Box 360 core system? I just need to save my games and that is all.

Thanks again,

Joey

PS2 and Xbox were, to me, close enough in graphics that it didn't make a difference to me. What it came down to was the hard drive on the Xbox and titles. PS2 had better games for the most part, but I just hated dealing with memory cards.

I'd hold off and wait for a 360 or PS3. Out of the two, I'd lean towards the PS3. If you do go with a 360, wait a bit because they're coming out with a different/better chip.

If you go with a PS3, the price for a 60gb is going down $100 on the 12th with rumours of another $100 going down in November. At the very least, it's a Blu-Ray DVD player and that's what mine does more for me than anything.

Damn, well it's still a better machine. Certainly better than a non-elite 360. As for the fustercluck that is Sony, how great is Microsoft? Love those red rings o' death.

no doubt, I own a PS3 and it is a great value if you consider the cost of a blu-ray player...however if there were to be a price drop in the near future I'd feel a bit cheated because up until now the selection of games has been very very poor in my opinion and I have got very little use out of the thing.

Hell the most time I've spent on it has been playing God of War II, a PS2 title.

As for the original poster, I think it's time to step into the next generation of gaming, I don't see much of a point picking up a PS2 these days (even though they are still outselling PS3's). I'd have to think real hard between a PS3 and a 360 right now though.

I've played both, and I went with the elite 360. I already got the ring of death but the games that 360 has over PS3's garbage line up makes choosing a system a no brainer. I was a die hard Playstation fan but they really fucked themselves in this round of the console wars.

Yup, I own far more movies for it than games and will keep doing so. That said, I may pick up Darkness for it and give that a whirl.

I always hear people complain about titles but I think back the first 6 months of the 360 being out and not liking any of their titles.

i'm facing the same dilema, PS3 or 360, right now i'm leaning towards the 360 simply because of the price. i figure either one will be an upgrade from my ps2 and im not a hardcore gamer so i'd like to save some dough.

I was in that dilemma and ended up picking a 360. I did get the red ring of death but sent my xbox away and got it back in 2 weeks. In mass production theres bound to be some f**k ups so it was no big deal to me.

Meh, I'll probably get one now, but seeing as the only games I play are NHL and Tiger I'll stick with my elite for games.

Do you mean a better graphics chip for the 360 or processor chip?

New processor chip, that will hopefully eliminate the Red Ring of Death problems. Also, M$ just upped their warranty from 1 year, to 3 years, so I suppose that is worth something, and gives a little piece of mind.

Either way, I suggest waiting awhile, for either the PS3 price drop, or for the better processor in the 360. I prefer the 360, because the game selection is, and is looking to be far superior to Sony's. And i have a huge boner for the Halo series.

of course the selection looks better, it's been out a year longer. Exclusives aside, I've been taking PS3 versions over 360 versions of games and only regretted doing so with MLB 07

Whats coming out for PS3? MGS? Spending $600 bucks on a system for one worthy game is not my style.

I think the Resident Evil line too, if anyone still plays those. What sold it to me is just the fact that a Blu Ray player is going to cost a crapload anyway.

Resident Evil was fun the first couple times around, but the last few can't hold my interest for more than 2 mins. Blu ray is alright but It's still not a good enough reason for me to drop shit loads on a system. I must say though I love the HDMI picture from my xbox, I have to change my pants after every session.

With the PS3 60gb and xbox 360(not elite) the same price now or almost, which one would be the better choice to get. I don't really need all the extra memory and stuff as I'm pretty much a basic gamer just looking for the most bang for my buck, which seems to be the PS3 with the 40gb more space and a blu ray player for basically the same price. Anyone help me thx.

That's not necessarily true; http://ps3.ign.com/articles/801/801981p1.html

With that being said, Sony is a complete bitch of a company, so who knows.

You really think Sony wanted to have that leak out early? Of course not. They wanted to announce it at E3 for a bigger response.

Also, M$ just upped their warranty from 1 year, to 3 years, so I suppose that is worth something, and gives a little piece of mind.

Yeah, it gives you a piece of mind that the machine is made piss poor.

Whats coming out for PS3? MGS? Spending $600 bucks on a system for one worthy game is not my style.

Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Grand Turismo 5, Killzone 3, Lair, Metal Gear Solid 4, MotorStorm 2, Resistance 2, The Getaway 2, SOCOM: Confrontation, Time Crisis 4.

1 game, huh?

I must say though I love the HDMI picture from my xbox, I have to change my pants after every session.

Thats pathetic.

With the PS3 60gb and xbox 360(not elite) the same price now or almost, which one would be the better choice to get. I don't really need all the extra memory and stuff as I'm pretty much a basic gamer just looking for the most bang for my buck, which seems to be the PS3 with the 40gb more space and a blu ray player for basically the same price. Anyone help me thx.

At the same price, PS3 easily. The game library will come as it did with PS2...it just takes time.

And for $20 more than the Elite, you get a Blu-Ray player which will become the video standard, not HD-DVD.

I should have known, Sony craps on their early adopters again. It must be awesome for all those people who waited outside for an incredibly horrid system launch to be rewarded less than 10 months later by having the price cut $110. Well at least I got to enjoy all the awesome exclusive games that PS3 had in the interm....oh wait, there wasn't any. Oh well, at least PS3 was fully backward compatable and I got to play arguably the biggest game on PS2 in the last couple years, Guitar Hero II, while I waited for PS3 to actually have good games...oh wait, GHII doesn't work on PS3.

Maddox is always right.

But, if you're really crazy about Blu-Ray, you can pick up a PS3 and get a Blu-Ray player and a game console in one... At a time when Blu-Ray players are over $500, it's a good deal.

Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Grand Turismo 5, Killzone 3, Lair, Metal Gear Solid 4, MotorStorm 2, Resistance 2, The Getaway 2, SOCOM: Confrontation, Time Crisis 4.

1 game, huh?

I must say though I love the HDMI picture from my xbox, I have to change my pants after every session.

Thats pathetic.

How many of those games will actually be worth playing? Probably 1 or 2 of them. Take your fanboy shit somewhere else dicklock.

How many of those games will actually be worth playing?

For me, 6. GT5, Killzone, MGS, Resistance 2, The Getaway, and Socom. Even the most casual gamer can find more than 2 games in that list they'd want to play. Dont kid yourself.

Take your fanboy shit somewhere else dicklock.

You mad your system already has the red lights, fam?

And for your information, i've had all 3 systems. I sold my 360 for 3x what i paid for it after using it for 2 weeks, and couldnt be happier.

PS3 does everything a 360 does, and then some for $20 more.