Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

Video Game Console Question

halo 3 ed. at hot topic has been sold out. But i dont think youd need to worry about getting a soon to be defunct console if ya get the 360. If you have a Sam's club or Costco or something like that there, buy it there. If (when) you get the red rings of death, they exchange it immediately no questions asked. Im on like number 5 i think...

x2 on that advice. Roommate works at Sams Club. We buy any and everything electronic there because you can take it back for practically any reason and they will exchange it.

halo 3 ed. at hot topic has been sold out. But i dont think youd need to worry about getting a soon to be defunct console if ya get the 360. If you have a Sam's club or Costco or something like that there, buy it there. If (when) you get the red rings of death, they exchange it immediately no questions asked. Im on like number 5 i think...

Five dead consoles? WTF? Why are people still purchasing this Micro$uck POS? Is Halo really that big of a deal, or are people just accustomed to Microsoft pumping out complete garbage that it doesn't even bother them anymore?

halo definitely is that big a deal! i ran into a red ring awhile back but microsoft was pretty good about getting me a replacement console (didnt even have to pay shipping!) i heard through the grapevine that the xbox360 HALO editions dont get the red ring, something about how they fixed a weak soldiering point, but im not 100% sure on it

Five dead consoles? WTF? Why are people still purchasing this Micro$uck POS? Is Halo really that big of a deal, or are people just accustomed to Microsoft pumping out complete garbage that it doesn't even bother them anymore?

I personally have had the red rings once, on my original white 360. It was caused by a bad power supply, not bad chips. MS sent me a supply within a week. I bought that console 3 months after the initial launch. I recently upgraded to an Elite and have had no problems with it either. I personally don't think the failures were as frequent as they seem. I think MS just had a bad batch and then refurbed them, the refurbs of course went out to other people basically doomed to fail. I don't know of any other company that would spend a billion dollars to do the right thing with replacements the way MS did. Most of the major consumer electronics companies out there have to be sued to stand behind their warranties.

Just to be clear, no I am not a fan boy. I own all three major consoles, Wii, PS3, and 360.

im on my 3rd? xbox i think, and it just broke.

My first one was exchanged at a store, the new one i got, then received the 3 red lights. After sending that in, got a refurb from xbox in 2 weeks. That one also got red ringed, and i got the current one i have now. Its been a good year, but now i'm experiencing problems with it (controllers disconnect randomly and its VERY frustrating). Xbox had said i was outside my warranty of 1 year, and outside the 90 day warranty that comes with refurb'd xboxes. I asked to speak directly to a supervisor at xbox, and had let them know that they failed to put the papers in the last refurb return which give me the option of buying an extended warranty, which i probably would have gotten (only 20-25$ i think) looking at my past history with xbox quality. At this point, he was able to offer me the repairs for 1/2 price ($55 cdn) and to "cover" the rest of the cost, hes sending me a wireless controller as well. He said he would have liked to just give me the repairs totally free, but the people above him wouldn't let him do that, so to offset the rest of the cost the controller was thrown in.

Xbox's are pretty much defective all the time, but for some odd reason i still prefer it over the PS3. I dont' know why, but i dont' think ill be getting a ps3 anytime soon.

Xbox's are pretty much defective all the time, but for some odd reason i still prefer it over the PS3. I dont' know why, but i dont' think ill be getting a ps3 anytime soon.

the controllers MS makes are so much better. in regards to your controllers disconnecting randomly, have you used any third party pieces/attachments on them? non microsoft certified rechargable batteries, cable chargers, etc? i remember using discount "madkatz" crap totally killed my PS2 back in the day.

edit: was the supervisor at MS that you spoke to named 'max' and did he speak in a robotic voice?haha

actually four dead consoles, the 5th one is okay, for now. But its maybe a 10 minute drive to sams and takes maybe 2 minutes to exchange. so 30 minutes tops i got a brand new one. and since the price has dropped another 50 bucks, when this one goes RRoD, i walk out of sams with a brand new 360 AND 50 bucks cash. Can't beat that.

But i really do prefer the 360 over ps3, as none of my friends own a ps3.

I had another xbox go south. Number 4 dead and they are sending me a non refurb new unit and 6 months live because of the flip out I unleashed on the foreign people that they put me through too. Eventually they directed me to someone from the states and he felt my pain. Still dont regret buying a 360 and still very happy I sold the PS3 to buy more xbox toys. Like I stated before I buy gaming systems for games not fancy useless features.

I had another xbox go south. Number 4 dead and they are sending me a non refurb new unit and 6 months live because of the flip out I unleashed on the foreign people that they put me through too. Eventually they directed me to someone from the states and he felt my pain. Still dont regret buying a 360 and still very happy I sold the PS3 to buy more xbox toys. Like I stated before I buy gaming systems for games not fancy useless features.

So many good games have come out for the PS3 the last 6 months, it's hard to give the 360 a big edge in terms of games anymore. You have to remember MS had a head start, so none of this should be surprising at all.

Except the online on the PS3 sucks. XBL gives the 360 a massive edge.

Is XBL better? Yes, but the PSN has improved a lot in the past year and is still free.

The thing that's great about PS3's online being free is not everyone has 12 hours a day to sit around and get their money's worth playing on-line that you have to pay for with Xbox and Live.

I found it okay for being free, not great or perfect by any means but it wasn't miserable either.

That said, I think I'm going to pick up a 360 as it's still one of the only systems I haven't given an ownership chance to.

Yeah, if I'm gonna play 1 online game a month while listening to some 12 year-old's Lil Wayne CDs and him calling everyone a fag over his headset, I'd rather do it for free.

Also, I like when the movies I watch actually match the resolution of my TV.

And the fact that it works.

Also, I like cheese.

I can't believe the best PS3 they've made, the MGS bundle one, isn't even available anymore. Retards.

I'm lucky I snagged one of those up. I still have yet to play Metal gear though. :P

Bioshock will be coming out for PS3 soon, so I've officially moved over to wanting one of those. I'd still miss out on Mass Effect and Fable 2, but there are some good looking RPG's coming out for the PS3. I might even get one before the PS4 comes out.

I can't believe the best PS3 they've made, the MGS bundle one, isn't even available anymore. Retards.

I'm lucky I snagged one of those up. I still have yet to play Metal gear though. :P

Don't even bother, just sell it. Unless you love watching a hour long cutscene after every 15 minutes of game play.

Don't even bother, just sell it. Unless you love watching a hour long cutscene after every 15 minutes of game play.

Yeah, I hate that crap, too. Like in GTA IV, where the beginning of every mission is preceded by 10 minutes of voice actors with bad accents dropping F-bombs. Just give me a gun and tell me who to shoot at, this isn't Gone With The Wind.

I always find it a little silly when game reviews talk about the "script". Like we're watching some Oscar-bait film festival thing.

Imagine if they applied the same rules to old-school games.

"The dialog between Mario and the seven successive Toad characters seems stilted and slightly wooden after the third repeat of 'The Princess is in another castle.'"

"Pac-Man's 'wok-wok-wok-wok-wok' drones on and on without building towards any sort of climax or plot resolution".

I can't stand custscenes. I think in MGS:SOL for PS2 they were well done, but every other game, they've been too long and annoying.