Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sc37

Boulder Hockey Shield Company

Could anyone who has used the shield for one full season or more provide some input regarding the following. I was wondering if anyone could speak to the fogging up issues with this shield and the scratch resistance? On their website they say it is 100% fog free and scratch resistant. Having a little trouble believing both ( 100% fog free and scratch resistant. I am thinking about getting one. Thanks

I have been using they older style with the metal cage bottom for over a year and a half and I have to say it does NOT fog and I have yet to get any scratches either. I do keep it in a helmet bag in my hockey bag but I have taken a puck and quite a few sticks off of it and the marks will just wipe away with some water and a microfiber cloth.

A team-mate just got one of the new ones and it is a lot lighter wieght so I may try one of the new style soon.

Like it a lot better than a cage. Not to mention being able to laugh at team-mates when they try to give me an anti-fog wipe that they keep trying to use to keep their mask from fogging.

These shields are amazing. They do not fog and no fog sprays are needed. They are fairly new company and trying to keep everything made in the USA, which is why the hardware isn't included yet. They are working on an American company to produce hardware. These things blow away the Bauer rebranded Itech "fishbowl". Fot just $5 more you get a fogproof visor, a visor with antiscratch coating on inside and outside, and a visor that's replaceable if/when it gets scratched. With the Bauer, if you get a bad scratch have to get a complete new facemask. We've had a hard time keeping these in stock. Color is a very popular option. We had the standard colors, but they will also make custom colors.

I have been seeing these a lot more at the rink I play at and nothing but great reviews. When fish bowl has had enough I'll go to a clear one!

These shields are amazing. They do not fog and no fog sprays are needed. They are fairly new company and trying to keep everything made in the USA, which is why the hardware isn't included yet. They are working on an American company to produce hardware. These things blow away the Bauer rebranded Itech "fishbowl". Fot just $5 more you get a fogproof visor, a visor with antiscratch coating on inside and outside, and a visor that's replaceable if/when it gets scratched. With the Bauer, if you get a bad scratch have to get a complete new facemask. We've had a hard time keeping these in stock. Color is a very popular option. We had the standard colors, but they will also make custom colors.

they aren't optically correct. For a lot of people that means they won't "blow away" the high end Bauer or Oakley visors.

they aren't optically correct. For a lot of people that means they won't "blow away" the high end Bauer or Oakley visors.

What good is optically correct if it's fogged? Still, The Boulders are in the same price range as the ConceptII, and in that competetive range, they are head and shoulders better.

What good is optically correct if it's fogged?

I don't have fogging issues, optics is important to me. More often than not, fogging is due to having the visor too close and not enough airflow. The other major problem comes from the guys that tilt them up, the visor just catches the rising heat and fogs.

These seem like they pretty goofy. At least the picture on their website does. When someone gets a chance can you post a pic of yourself in the mask?

Does anyone know if the colored ones have the color molded in the plastic or if they are painted?

It's in the plastic, not paint.

I don't have fogging issues, optics is important to me. More often than not, fogging is due to having the visor too close and not enough airflow. The other major problem comes from the guys that tilt them up, the visor just catches the rising heat and fogs.

What full shield would you suggest for those of us that are concerned with it being optically correct? It sounds like you are very similar to me in that you prefer to not have your view distorted by the shield.

Anyone have a pic of themselves wearing the boulder mask? All I can find is the crappy website pics.

I've worn a wire cage for both roller and ice for years.

I want the full face protection and it would be nice to not have fogging issues people talk about,

I would go with the clear one, I'm just on the fence about getting one because I'm worried about how it will fit, it looks kinda bulky.

Sorry to give this dead horse some bath salts, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience so far with this product and company.

First, let's go back to a simpler time, when the zombie apocolypse was only fiction and NOT a reality that began on a Miami freeway overpass...

Let's go back to the night of May 25, 2012.

I was interested in a full shield to replace my chrome FM480 but didn't like the "mainstream" brands/models out there. After re-checking out this thread to make sure the reviews are still fairly positive for this important piece of hockey equipment (we ALL do that, right?), I decided to order this shield in a black frame. I thought it was pricey for $72.45 (that number includes shipping).

Shortly after I placed the order, the owner of the company (a real friendly guy named Bill) shoots me a personalized email thanking me for ordering and he also noticed I was from the Boston area (so is he originally, but him and his company are in Colorado now). We had some friendly banter about Boston hockey stuff and he even redeemed my shipping charge, knocking the final price to about $68 which is still high but if the hype is true, then I'll consider it money well-spent.

I even sent Bill another email asking him to change my frame color to clear from black (eventhough I didn't want an Itech...I still wanted to cop the Itech style since the black cage/visor combo looks kind of bender-ish...sorry to all you Itech 920 visor/cage combo benders users...maybe you can upgrade to something less bender-ish, like maybe this Boulder Hockey Shield that I'm writing about?). He said it would be no problem to change it to clear.

So...sounds pretty good, right? Sure. And that's as far as my input on this shield goes because...I still have not received it. And recall, I had placed my order and had my friendly witty banter exchange with the guy on May 25. And as of this writing on June 8, we are at a full 10 business days after my original order was placed, to be shipped from Colorado to Boston. Call it #FirstWorldPains, but...I can't believe it's taken 10+ business days (and counting) to ship my hockey shield from Colorado to Boston. This is not 2001. Stuff gets ordered on the Internet a lot more these days (like hockey shields), and shipping times have sped up dramatically. I would've expected this thing within maybe 5 business days TOPS.

Thoughts, guys?

Granted, it DOES seem like this guy operates out of his garage In fact, he did but it seems recently his business has picked up (but too bad his shipping times haven't followed suit.)

To be continued after I receive the product, but as of now, I am feeling mixed emotions. I am all for supporting the local hometown friendly guy building his shield for 'mericans (and Canadians) by 'mericans, and I think the shield could be pretty cool and possibly an upgrade to my FM480.

BUT I am decidedly NOT impressed with the shipping time (in case you didn't get that impression yet).

Plus... I do have my eye on a white FM580 cage instead. Those are basically the same as the FM480 but seem a bit wider, but equally as nasty and dirty and other words that translate to "look cool and is non-benderish".

It's all good, JR, I am not pissed or anything, just figured I'd share my experience so far.

I am still looking forward to trying the shield out, and I hope to come back here to write a glowing review and give this guy some more business because us Boston guys look out for each other, unlike you Vancouver and Montreal guys. :ph34r:

I bought this shield about 6 months ago and I received an email from Bill. Very friendly guy and it was pretty cool getting that personalized service from a company for once. I am very happy with my visor and it has brought my game back to when I rocked no shield at all (before 40 stitches to chin). The cage has always bothered me over the past 10 years. I keep s small micro fiber towel on the bench to wipe the fog off the 2 or 3 times a game it happens.

I bought this shield about 6 months ago and I received an email from Bill. Very friendly guy and it was pretty cool getting that personalized service from a company for once. I am very happy with my visor and it has brought my game back to when I rocked no shield at all (before 40 stitches to chin). The cage has always bothered me over the past 10 years. I keep s small micro fiber towel on the bench to wipe the fog off the 2 or 3 times a game it happens.

How long did it take for you to receive it from the day it was ordered?

Just saw that Hockey monkey sells them now. Ordered one up and should have it in a few days.

Hockey Monkey doesn't have real time inventory, so be sure to check in with them. It isn't unusual for them to notify you a week down the line that an item is back ordered.

Hockey Monkey doesn't have real time inventory, so be sure to check in with them. It isn't unusual for them to notify you a week down the line that an item is back ordered.

LOL....yeah I did my homework this afternoon and called first. They had 23 clear instock so it better ship fast.

Just an update...still haven't received this shield. I emailed the guy and he said it was an f-up and it didn't get shipped. I'm probably not even going to give it a try and will return it since I like my chrome FM480 and I don't want the fuss of having to take care of a shield.