Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

2008 NYR Thread

Wouldn't they have to dump Kaspar and Malik to sign Peca? That would leave their defense a little thin.

looks like kasper will be going to the minors. They can make his contract bonuses and push them off to 08-09 because of injuries

I don't like it one bit. Him and Avery are fundamentally the same player with the exception that Peca is made out of glass. Also, Anisimov is way ahead of schedule and I'd rather not tie up cap room at the expense of forfeiting another slot for one of the prospects to come up.

Peca and Avery the same player? Peca can be a leader, is great at taking draws, can be a PK asset, and has had some great +/- numbers

I don't like it one bit. Him and Avery are fundamentally the same player with the exception that Peca is made out of glass. Also, Anisimov is way ahead of schedule and I'd rather not tie up cap room at the expense of forfeiting another slot for one of the prospects to come up.

I've never paid attention but is Avery good on the PK? Peca is leaps and bounds ahead of Avery defensively, as an on ice leader, and from everything thats reported, as an off ice leader as well. The only similarities I can see is that it'd be surprising if either crack the Rangers top two lines. That being said, Peca would be a good signing for the Rangers, considering their lack of defensive depth. Still, he has been "close to signing" with three other teams in the past month.

Betts had 9 goals and 4 assists last year as a 4th liner. I think the possibility of signing Peca is a good idea if he is healthy obviously. It adds depth to the PK guys and like Vapor said in one of posts is really good on draws. If they can get him to sign an affordable deal he would be a good fit.

I watched him last season with Toronto, he does have some pretty good defensive awareness but he plays very small, doesn't hit at all anymore, and I think his PK ability is overrated. He is basically playing in the NHL right now entirely on smarts, his skills aren't really there. And he is a HUGE offensive liability, I mean can you really live with like 30 points out of your third line centre? Maybe the Rangers can afford that though.

Another thing is I think he is the kind of guy who steps up his game big time in the playoffs, you just know he is going to score some big goals, he can get away with holding and stuff a little more...for a team like NYR that seem to be set to make the playoffs pretty easily I think he is a good fit to sort of just stash on your team during the regular season and reap the playoff benefits.

Again, we have a wealth of small, fast, feisty forwards that are NHL or near-NHL ready that would be much more cost effective. Bourret or Dawes come to mind.

I watched him last season with Toronto, he does have some pretty good defensive awareness but he plays very small, doesn't hit at all anymore, and I think his PK ability is overrated. He is basically playing in the NHL right now entirely on smarts, his skills aren't really there. And he is a HUGE offensive liability, I mean can you really live with like 30 points out of your third line centre? Maybe the Rangers can afford that though.

Another thing is I think he is the kind of guy who steps up his game big time in the playoffs, you just know he is going to score some big goals, he can get away with holding and stuff a little more...for a team like NYR that seem to be set to make the playoffs pretty easily I think he is a good fit to sort of just stash on your team during the regular season and reap the playoff benefits.

His PK ability is not overrated at all. As soon as he went down last year the Leaf's PK went from mediocre to complete shit.

Again, we have a wealth of small, fast, feisty forwards that are NHL or near-NHL ready that would be much more cost effective. Bourret or Dawes come to mind.

DAWES?!? bahahha. He is nowhere close to ready. I dont think he will ever be an NHL'er. Did you watch the first handful of games form last year? He is terrible. Why Renny put him in Game 6 vs. Buffalo is beyond me, he turned over the puck for the 1 Buffalo goal...

Not too happy with it, but it seems almost like a done deal. From what I hear, 1.5 would be the deal so no one would have to be dumped. Kaspar is not going to be up here once again by all indications

Both Anisinov and Dubi could fill that role. Dubi looks pretty ready to me after what I saw last season with a few games up here + a few internet AHL games.

Avery vs Peca-

winner is Avery if only because you know he can play close to a full season. Both can throw great hits and play a great agitator game. At this point, Avery can put up mre points. Peca better PK'er, but Avery does good at that role as well. Peca's health is the most of my worries

Betts- You can't blame him for his low pts. He is a supurb player who gets stuck with bums like Orr and Hollweg. But he is a top tier defensive player and with legit 4th line mates could score 20-30 pts. He certainly has the speed and smarts out there

His PK ability is not overrated at all. As soon as he went down last year the Leaf's PK went from mediocre to complete shit.

QFT

I was just about to write that.

If it was Peca of 7 years ago, then I would be all for it, but his play has really dropped off the past two years from where it was. He had a good playoffs with the oilers IIRC, but aside from that, I don't know.

I guess in the end if he comes cheap enough, maybe the risk is low enough where you can take a chance on him. He was running his mouth a few weeks ago in the paper here about how he was in the best shape of his life, wants to finish his career in buffalo, blah blah blah. If he could return to form and play how he did early in his career, and stick him on a line with avery, that could make for a decent third line.

He was out due to a broken leg this season. Over 70 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons before that. He won't play 82 games, but he really isn't a huge injury concern. For a player who can step it up in the playoffs, shutdown other teams first line, lead your PK and your lead in the room, I don't see how it wouldn't be a good signing for the Rags. Only issue I could see is him taking Drury's PK ice-time, but they should be able to split and it would allow Drury to play more ES and on the PP.

He was out due to a broken leg this season. Over 70 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons before that. He won't play 82 games, but he really isn't a huge injury concern. For a player who can step it up in the playoffs, shutdown other teams first line, lead your PK and your lead in the room, I don't see how it wouldn't be a good signing for the Rags. Only issue I could see is him taking Drury's PK ice-time, but they should be able to split and it would allow Drury to play more ES and on the PP.

It would give them a great 1-2 punch on the PK and an extra capable of winning faceoffs is never a bad thing. How is Gomez on faceoffs? Would another leader make Jagr happy or make him feel even more marginalized?

I'm a bit lukewarm on the idea of Peca coming to the Rangers. There's a lot of upside to him, as has been stated in this thread already, but I think that Avery can do a fine job centering the third line (if Hossa plays with Jagr on the first line and Straka plays with Shanny on the second). Seeing as they're already close to (over) the cap, they need to spend wisely.

To be honest, if we do not get Peca and Dubinsky or Ani have a terrible camp, I would rather try Straka on the 3rd line center. Avery showed he plays a much better game at wing and gets more involved. Center, he takes a great deal of positioning responsibility and abondons his aggressive forechecking game. Overall though, I think we have a bunch of players that are interchangable from line 1 to 3. Maybe Jagr at 1st RW, Shanny a winger at second line, and Betts 4th line center are the only sure things right now. The rest of the pieces can move where need be.

Sure, Peca played 70 his previous three, but when you have leg concerns and past concussion concerns- Those injuries always seem to come back at the worst times.

Chadd- If memory serves me right, Drury is 58% on faceoffs, Gomez 53-54% (better than Nylander was).

I don't think another leader would hamper Jagr, but at that token you do have to start to worry when you bring in these chiefs- Making sure they are quality. Not loud mouth A-holes like Aaron Ward. Guy is always talking trash- That is why Brashear sucker punched him/

Avery is a winger people, a winger that can play center. Why we're talking about him vs Peca as a third line guy is beyond me. If we were to get Pecs, 3rd line would be his job to have, not Aves.

Betts was lucky to get the 13 or so points he had last year. If we can get Pecs to play the 3rd line, Betts would be a great 4th line guy that could play some PK.

Discussion about Dawes and Dubinsky are laughable. I agree with Vapor, Dawes was not effective in any way at any point of the games he played in. Dubinsky is bigger, more physical, but a TERRIBLE skater. I guess I'm the only one that noticed how choppy he was. Sure he gets from point A to point B, but he's only doing that on nervous, "Holy $hit I'm actually in the NHL" energy.

Pecs to the Rangers, plus in my book. I like the more North American look we're taking on this year. Screw this European BS.

Actually, I believe Avery was a natural center, but was put on the wing in detroit and wound up staying there for a bit. He's listed as a center on HockeyDB

My point wasn't necessarily Avery vs. Peca for the third line slot. My point was that I believe Avery can perform well as a third line center if they don't sign Peca. Would I prefer to see him on the wing on the second line, which will give him quality minutes, keep him happy, and keep his head out of his ass? yes.

Actually, I believe Avery was a natural center, but was put on the wing in detroit and wound up staying there for a bit. He's listed as a center on HockeyDB

My point wasn't necessarily Avery vs. Peca for the third line slot. My point was that I believe Avery can perform well as a third line center if they don't sign Peca. Would I prefer to see him on the wing on the second line, which will give him quality minutes, keep him happy, and keep his head out of his ass? yes.

I think Avery played well enough last year to get more minutes and should play on the second line. If we were to get Pecs, then he's the 3rd line guy, unquestionably.

All speculation until the papers are signed though.

I was screwing around with roster and Hossa and Prucha are wild cards for spots. I can't seem to get them in anywhere with good playing time if we were to get Peca. I had Avery-Drury-Shanny on the second line with Hossa-Peca-Prucha on the third. Don't really know if that's good though.

Maybe we should pass on Peca and just let Aves have the job???

I think Avery played well enough last year to get more minutes and should play on the second line. If we were to get Pecs, then he's the 3rd line guy, unquestionably.

All speculation until the papers are signed though.

I was screwing around with roster and Hossa and Prucha are wild cards for spots. I can't seem to get them in anywhere with good playing time if we were to get Peca. I had Avery-Drury-Shanny on the second line with Hossa-Peca-Prucha on the third. Don't really know if that's good though.

Maybe we should pass on Peca and just let Aves have the job???

Did Callahan drop off the face of the Earth? :D He is not a first liner but certainly better than a 4th.

We both aknowledge that Avery plays a better game at wing. IMO at least. When he played center for us, he cannot get on the forecheck as much and that is a huge part of his game.

Dubinsky is fairly close, nothing to laugh about. You obviously are in the minority of Ranger fans, but at least you know his name so that is better than some. But if he doesn't make it, and Dupont and Ani don't make it- Straka. You can have Hossa on the first line with Jagr. And stick Straka at 3rd line center.

Drury- Jagr- Hossa

Gomez- Shanny- Callahan

Dubi/Peca- Avery- Prucha

Betts-

But to be honest, the wingers are very much intechangable. Prucha can play 1st line, Avery second. Gomez and Drury may switch, etc