Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

2008 NYR Thread

Theo - Sorry, it's a little Anti-Jagr thing between me and Darkstar.

Darkstar - Yes, I will change my tune about Jagr when:

4) He gives me two minutes alone with his new 21 year old wife.

*Not necessarily in any particular order, but #4 would be a good start :D

And what would you do with the extra minute 30? :ph34r:

- sorry x 3, couldn't resist the temptation today. ;)

Some people are unbelievable.

Not to mention, Nylander's best numbers came as a NYR with Jagr. Gomez has had years that pretty much duplicated those numbers w/o playing with Jagr.

Also, no sure thing he is the one who will center Jagr. Might make sense to have Drury center Jags

Nylander and Jagr have very good chemistry though and keep in mind Gomez played on the EGG line for his best years, which was a very solid line. They should improve with their off-season signings, but I don't consider Gomez or Drury Superstar players capable of controlling games, which is what some hint they are.

#96,

I'll make it easy for you. Just become a Caps fan and you will have all the anti-Jagr buddies you'll ever need. :lol:

I'm also guessing you are a Yankees fan who thinks A-Rod sucks and should be off the team, too. I hear those true Yankees fans everyday on WFAN.

So, the Yankees without A-Rod would blow and the Rangers without Jagr would be 30th. But, at least, everybody is happy.

No, I actually like A-Rod, just don't talk to me about him in the post-season.

I agree Jagr is the center of the team, but he was supposed to be. It was built around him. However, I like that the team has taken a new direction and building it a little differently now. That being a more North-South, North American game, rather than an East-West, European game.

Nothing against Jagr, I just think he's a better #2 guy behind a stronger character like a Lemieux or Messier. I think he would like to hide under the radar and do his thing, rather than have everyone look at him to do everything and be The Guy. But admittedly, he has performed well in that role in the last two years, even though he wasn't officially the Captain two years ago.

As far as lines, he's gotta play with Gomer. He is more creative than Drury, hands down. And as somone else pointed out, he's had success with the EGG Line which played a similar style to the Jags-Nylander-Whoever line.

Theo-

True, not many pretty babies to be had in the defenseman category but isn't Berard out there? Hell, even Sutton would have been someone I'd go for rather than filling out the 3rd line.

Dany Markov would be a good option. Produced well in Nashville offensively and is solid in his own end. Shut down Jagr in the past.

Not bad choices guys, but I still feel our main need is a #1. Which are few and far between. We have a lot of#3-6 d-men. Some of you may laugh, but when he plays well Rosvisal is borderline top pairing guy.

Also true, Eazy...These guys are not super stars (Drury or Gomez). But I also believe that playing with Jagr will put either one on another level. Good intangibles with Drury though as he seems to up the ante during big games. Some Ranger fans did not like the Gomez signing, but I love it now and long term. I think playing with Jagr may escalate any potential he has left and he is still in his prime when we have our only sniper blue chip prospect come (Chere)

96- Gomez seems like the logical choice, but I wouldn't rule out some time with Drury. I forget the points, but some fans made good ones about how that would work out and how Shanny playing with Gomez may be better for the good of the team- Gomez could really use his speed to get in the zone and set up. Who knows though. In the end, you are probably right though. Much more potential for Gomez playing with Jags

Theo - Sorry, it's a little Anti-Jagr thing between me and Darkstar.

Darkstar - Yes, I will change my tune about Jagr when:

4) He gives me two minutes alone with his new 21 year old wife.

*Not necessarily in any particular order, but #4 would be a good start :D

And what would you do with the extra minute 30? :blink:

- sorry x 3, couldn't resist the temptation today. ;)

Try the other two holes?

I like it too. We're very strong down the middle. But as we got into it before, it creates potential lineup issues.

Jagr-Gomer-Straka

Shanny-Drury-Prucha?/Avery?

Hossa-Peca-Prucha?/Avery?

Hollweg-Betts-Orr?

*No room for Callahan, Duby, guys like that.

I like it too. We're very strong down the middle. But as we got into it before, it creates potential lineup issues.

Jagr-Gomer-Straka

Shanny-Drury-Prucha?/Avery?

Hossa-Peca-Prucha?/Avery?

Hollweg-Betts-Orr?

*No room for Callahan, Duby, guys like that.

Let Callahan play 20 minutes a night in the AHL and fill in for Prucha (second line) when he gets hurt. Leave Avery on the third line and you get some scoring punch out of an agitating, checking line.

Blah...

Healthy teams find a way to play the Callahans (who are perfectly NHL ready) on their NHL club. Cally is proven ready and produced well for us. Dubinsky looks pretty ready, but he has no purpose once again to win a spot in training camp.

I hope you TO guys are right about what this guy brings.

Blah...

Healthy teams find a way to play the Callahans (who are perfectly NHL ready) on their NHL club. Cally is proven ready and produced well for us. Dubinsky looks pretty ready, but he has no purpose once again to win a spot in training camp.

Ha, he didn't play there long enough for those guys to know!

I agree that Callahan deserves some time. Orr doesn't have to play everynight on the 4th line, there's some room. And if he can be interchanged on the higher lines with some of the other guys.

Blah...

I agree that Callahan deserves some time. Orr doesn't have to play everynight on the 4th line, there's some room. And if he can be interchanged on the higher lines with some of the other guys.

Fair enough, 96..But I think you have to do better. He showed us he was a legit 3rd liner, even 2nd the moment he joined us last season (Cally). He escalated his play in the playoffs as well. JMO

Blah...

Fair enough, 96..But I think you have to do better. He showed us he was a legit 3rd liner, even 2nd the moment he joined us last season (Cally). He escalated his play in the playoffs as well. JMO

Absolutely, no argument here. I was just wondering where he fits into the depth charts when you have Avery/Hossa/Prucha fighting for everyday positions on certain lines.

By the way, my season ticket came through today. What an ordeal that was.

Oh man, did they raise the prices on you?

I'd suspect something like:

Gomez-Jagr-Straka

Drury-Shanahan-Avery

Peca-Prucha-Callahan

Betts-Hossa-Hollweg/Orr

I still believe so many parts of that lineup are interchangable though

Oh man, did they raise the prices on you?

I'd suspect something like:

Gomez-Jagr-Straka

Drury-Shanahan-Avery

Peca-Prucha-Callahan

Betts-Hossa-Hollweg/Orr

I still believe so many parts of that lineup are interchangable though

That's not bad. Our 3rd line is kinda smallish, but quick and gritty though. I would say your lineup is very feasable, at least at this point.

Nah they didn't raise it. My bro, who already has 2 seats in 409, told me he was offered an option to pick up more seats. So I got one more with him and at a savings off the regular price. $26 a game.

Ticket prices went up to like 180 for us in 32. Might even be like 186 I think, something crazy like that

Blah...

If you have a young player like that, you're usually better off having him play a ton of minutes in the minors than having him play a handful of minutes on the fourth line. Getting PP, PK and last minute ice time is generally better for development.

Blah...

If you have a young player like that, you're usually better off having him play a ton of minutes in the minors than having him play a handful of minutes on the fourth line. Getting PP, PK and last minute ice time is generally better for development.

No crap. But the problem with that is Cally is a legit 2nd to 3rd liner already. You do not demote him to the AHL or you do not have him on the 4th line- At least legit teams would not do that. I can bite the bullet if we do indeed sign Peca and say Dubinsky can have yet another year getting big time minutes in HF. He has not proved himself up here yet. But Callahan is a totally different story. Your scenario works if the player is on the line of being an NHL'er and can go either way, IMO. Cally does not fit that

Blah...

No crap. But the problem with that is Cally is a legit 2nd to 3rd liner already. You do not demote him to the AHL or you do not have him on the 4th line- At least legit teams would not do that. I can bite the bullet if we do indeed sign Peca and say Dubinsky can have yet another year getting big time minutes in HF. He has not proved himself up here yet. But Callahan is a totally different story. Your scenario works if the player is on the line of being an NHL'er and can go either way, IMO. Cally does not fit that

I believe that he would be better suited to getting 20 minutes a night at the AHL level than even getting 10-12 minutes or so in the NHL. In the AHL he will get PP and PK time and play in clutch situations. He would not get nearly as much with the Rangers.

You should ask your scorers to score and your checkers to check. Hossa, Callahan and Prucha are all guys who can score and don't really belong on the fourth line. Putting those guys into that type of role can cause morale problems as well.

Keep in mind, we're talking about a guy (Callahan) who played 14 regular season games with the Rangers and scored 6 points in those 14 games. That works out to about 35 points over an 82 game season. He scored 35 GOALS in the AHL last season. There's nothing wrong with letting him be "the man" in Hartford for another season. I like the way he played when he was up but saying six points in 14 games make you a legit second line guy doesn't makes sense to me.

I don't know how how you can pull up stats of a guy getting his feet wet late in the season when there are wars going on among teams to make the playoffs and expect gangbuster stats. He produced fine here. And payed well when the ante was raised in the playoffs.

Of course, Prucha, Cally, Hossa all belong above the 4th line. But if I can pick one to take that 4th line spot so the other two can get 2nd or 3rd line mins, it would be Hossa. He has shown he can change his game defensive first and play good in any role you put him in. Just a shame he has shown some potential w/ Jagr.

At this point, 6-8 more minutes in the AHL does little to Callahan. He is already an NHL and he would learn more up here.

Ryan Callahan has already earned the opportunity to start the season with the Rangers. In a different manner and package, he brought Avery-type energy to every shift he skated with the Rangers. He was tenacious on the forecheck and never backed off from finishing his checks on the end boards against proven NHL defencemen who were 40 lbs. heavier than him. He has the ability to stickhandle in traffic down low and take abuse in the slot before taking his shot. He created great opportunities with the puck in his limited ice-time on the Rangers. There is no fear factor for Ryan Callahan. As JD used to say about certain players, "You know, Sam, you have to like Ryan Callahan because he doesn't have a panic button when he's got the puck. He wants it."

Ryan Callahan has already earned the opportunity to start the season with the Rangers. In a different manner and package, he brought Avery-type energy to every shift he skated with the Rangers. He was tenacious on the forecheck and never backed off from finishing his checks on the end boards against proven NHL defencemen who were 40 lbs. heavier than him. He has the ability to stickhandle in traffic down low and take abuse in the slot before taking his shot. He created great opportunities with the puck in his limited ice-time on the Rangers. There is no fear factor for Ryan Callahan. As JD used to say about certain players, "You know, Sam, you have to like Ryan Callahan because he doesn't have a panic button when he's got the puck. He wants it."

If he's that valuable, why sign Peca and re-up Avery (at almost 4X Callahan's salary) when they're already hard-up against the cap? If you have good, young (cheap) players, you have to make room for them. The Rangers have done the exact opposite. Either they don't have the faith in him that some people here do, or their management is still as f'd up as a football bat.

The Rangers current salary totals at $47,990,976 according to NHLSCAP.com.

Ryan Callahan is entering his second pro season. Therefore, it stands to reason his salary would be 4x lower than Peca's. Peca has 10+ seasons in the NHL. The Rangers salary number provided includes Callahan's salary. The cap room is there for Callahan.

The Peca talk is making for great newspaper fodder in the NY press. Meehan is gladly talking to Larry Brooks of the post 8 days a week. When your player is still unsigned 6 weeks into free agency, you better talk to every damn reporter you can to make your player sound valuable and wanted.

On Rangers MBs, the idea to sign Peca is 50-50 among most Rangers fans. The signing has its pluses and minuses, no doubt. Some people feel Peca's value is his experience while others want the younger Ranger players to be given these chances to play. Callahan is not going to make his mark as a third line defensive center while Peca knows that is the only role he is now capable of playing. So, as easy as it is to take the shot at management, the bigger issue is here slotting your players based on their capabilities and role on the team. Coach Tom Renney has as much input in that situation as Sather does in signing the players.