Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

Ok, i changed the title because i'm now looking at getting the iphone, but i need a little help. I was looking about a bit on the internet and was reading about unlocking it so i could use my carrier over her in u.k, but it says the actual phone feature wouldn't work just the ipod, internet etc.I dunno if its the same if you get it unlocked over there. But then i was looking on eBay at unlocking kits and what not and seen that if i buy this unlocking kit blah blah it would enable the phone feature? Now i know absolutely nothing about this so i was wondering if anyone did, i obviously need it unlocked to allow my o2 sim card to work in it and i obviously need the phone to work, so does anyone know a way that i could get both?

eddy

I had a Sidekick 2 a while back... I was very pleased with it for a long time. They announced the Sidekick 3, and I was amped... For the money I paid to upgrade (with a contract extension, mind you), I was very, very disappointed. For a PDA type device, it lacks features, and T-Mo likes to limit restrictions on the device capabilites.

Not sure where you're located, but rumors swirling are there's a Motorola Sidekick coming soon, as well as another Sidekick device... Checkout Hiptop3.com for more info

Thanks for the reply anthony, im in northen ireland, uk, that is why its hard to get my hands on one, ill check that website out, thanks

btw, are there any other sidekick style phones about, with good features and whatnot??

I work for a T-Mobile Authorized Dealer and I feel that the only good thing about the sidekick is the data plan with unlimited email texting and internet use. Still not worth $300 USD with a 2 year activation/contract renewal if you get a side kick you definately should get the data plan otherwise its pointless to own a device that was made for texting

Alright so it looks like the sidekick aint worth it, so any other phones about? i want big memory(expandable), mp3 player, good camera etc. I was looking at the motorola k8, anyone any experiences with it? but i would still prefer a sidekick style phone just because it looks kool :P

the nokia 5300 has a good camera and can hold up to 1500 songs with the proper micro sd card. It is a t-mobile phone but im sure you can find an unlocked one if you dont have tmobile

the sidekick slide (by motorola) looks like it has some promise, but its made by motorola so....

iphone say what?

the sidekick slide (by motorola) looks like it has some promise, but its made by motorola so....

iphone say what?

which ultimately means the wiring will burn up, make the phone smell like burnt plastic... majority of my experience with Motorola products have been pretty shitty ones, so I would have to agree

is the iphone worth all the hype? and if its in my pocket, would it break easily?

thats my major concern with the iphone. granted i've never actually held one, my first impression just by looking at it is that either the screen would crack or that it would scratch VERY easily in a pocket.

is the iphone worth all the hype? and if its in my pocket, would it break easily?

thats my major concern with the iphone. granted i've never actually held one, my first impression just by looking at it is that either the screen would crack or that it would scratch VERY easily in a pocket.

Not necessarily.

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Mack has one, ask him.

the screen of the iPhone is made of optical glass, similar to eyeglass lenses. I've kept it in my pocket with no case, etc. No scratches at all, it's pretty scratch resistant. I just make it a point to put it in my pocket w/ screen side toward my leg. I have seen picks of someone who fell and shattered his. I picked up a $10 clear screenguard and it works wonders, you don't even see it.

I've had my iPhone for about a month now....had the same concerns with the glass and wasn't sure I wanted one. Work paid for it.

You put the protective screens on and buy a basic case, and it's pretty durable.

Overall, anybody that uses one is pretty pleased. I suggest to anyone - just stop by a store and play with it. Once the price drops, it will just take off. It's very easy to use, handles the basic needs (email, text msg, phone, ipod) AND has a full browser.

And BTW - MSH works just fine on it!

I've dropped mine on the bathroom floor at work with nary a scratch on it, so it passes at least one test. I also have one of the fey little Apple socks to protect it.

I've dropped mine on the bathroom floor at work with nary a scratch on it, so it passes at least one test. I also have one of the fey little Apple socks to protect it.

I completely forgot that I have a pack of iPod socks. I got one of those silicone covers for $14 (It came with 2 silicone covers, and an "invisi-screen" screen guard).. aside from lint, which just requires a quick rinse in water... it does the trick.

If they ever get it to Canada I plan to pick one up, but I wreck everything so I'm hoping it will hold up.

Im not sure if they are still running the promo, but my wife and I got two T-mobile wings for $300 before promo, and $200 after. So basically two phones for $200 after rebates. The activation was free and the shipping was too. I just had to pick any two plans or a family plan. Plus it was only a 1 year contract. This was almost 3 months ago though. It may be over. This is where I found it:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/733578/

click the link and follow the directions on the page.

i'm not a fan of windows mobile but some of the programs are nice. I like my phone(HTC 6800) better than my fathers blackberry 8800. I was considering the iphone but it certainly leaves something to be desired and I really have never had the need or want for a mp3 player other than in my car(which I already have).

Plus, evdo > edge

I agree that the mp3 player wouldn't be needed most of the time, but there are some occasions when it would be convenient to not have to carry both units. Whenever I take a plane, I pack my iPod, so it would be convenient to have one less piece of electronics. I would imagine someone who uses public transportation regularly would prefer one item fulfilling two functions.

That's not enough reason to make the iPhone the winning choice, since other phones can play mp3, although I suspect the iPhone's interface and audio quality is better than most of them. However, what has me intrigued, particularly after this price drop, is the plans are much less per month than other data services. Once you start comparing the plans, it's obvious the other carriers subsidize the price of a phone by charging more per month to use it. There is no subsidy on an iPhone, but it seems to be about $25 to $30 less per month for comparable minutes and data usage. That's $300 to $360 less per year, which makes up for the lack of a subsidy.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if other carriers bring their plans down slightly. Plus it sounds like the iPhone's data speed is slower. I don't imagine truly surfing the web with a phone, however, so I think I might be in the market when my current plan expires.

In my opinion, if you want or use a MP3 player on a regular basis, you should consider a MP3 capable phone... The iphone is the leader in the pack, with every other phone relying on upgradable memory to store as much as the iphone can. For me, it's tempting but still not worth all the downsides.

And believe me, when you have a job like mine that is 75% sitting and waiting for people to buy from me on some days, the internet on your phone is a god sent.

If they ever get it to Canada I plan to pick one up, but I wreck everything so I'm hoping it will hold up.

Rogers is getting it, and I believe will be the exclusive Canadian provider; but because the functionality of the iphone requires it to be using the internet pretty well all the time, and keeping in mind the highway-robbery rates of mobile data in Canada compared to just about anywhere in the world, but especially the U.S.(the rate as well as the fact that 'unlimited data' plans don't even exist in Canada) - I wouldn't hold my breath for it to come out here, because as the cell phone market in Canada is right now, they'd either have to release an inferior iphone that didn't work at all like the U.S. version, or they'd have to severely chop up the cost of data just for the release of this phone.