Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

I'm still on the fence on whether I like it or not. It really feels like Apple is doing away with a lot of their design consistencies, but I guess it isn't that crazy for them to change a mold every 2-3 years.

Although I do find it comical that pics of the phone were leaked back in January and no one noticed.

I think that's what I'm not a big fan of. I liked the original iPhone because it was different. Aluminum back and glass front. Sure this has a glass back but it still looks like a generic slate phone. Or maybe we're all just so watered down to touchscreen devices they all just look the same now.

Macrumors and apple insider have some more incite and are saying that a "2006 Apple patent application which describes the use of Zirconia as a durable and radio-transparent material that might be used."

Whatever it happens to be I'll buy it, coming up on 2-years with my 3G and I'm ready for an upgrade.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/18/iphone...ovable-battery/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/19/appare...rough-hands-on/

Whatever it happens to be I'll buy it, coming up on 2-years with my 3G and I'm ready for an upgrade.

That's the same boat my gf is in. She bought me the 3GS last year to replace my original, so I'll have to convince her to upgrade to this so we can keep the trend going. My only concern with changing hardware is data stored in the apps. For somethings I'd hate to have to re enter data all over again; I just hope that most companies have an online sync solution come upgrade time. It would suck to lose all my high scores and achievements in some games, but then again I guess it would just be a reason to play them all over again.

Oh shit, it supposedly weighs 3 grams more than the 3GS. Some people are going to lose their shit over that added weight.

I think that's what I'm not a big fan of. I liked the original iPhone because it was different. Aluminum back and glass front. Sure this has a glass back but it still looks like a generic slate phone. Or maybe we're all just so watered down to touchscreen devices they all just look the same now.

Who cares? Most people are going to put a case around it for protection, anyway, so the only important question is does it offer enough new functionality?

Who cares? Most people are going to put a case around it for protection, anyway, so the only important question is does it offer enough new functionality?

Agreed, although Ive never used a case.

The fact it will run iPhone OS 4 to it's full potential is enough reason for me to purchase one, whatever hardware upgrades they make are a bonus. Although I do find the addition of a removable backplate to be a mistake. The solid "1-piece" feel the iPhone has now is something i don't want to compromise and any phone ive had before with a backplate felt flimsy and ended up having issues eventually, being loose, coming off, etc. Seems like the opposite direction Apple would go after their changes to remove those features from their MacBook series to increase battery size, etc.

I think it's removable in the same sense that the current iphone is, pull out the screws and pop it off. The hole on top by the headphone jack is a noise cancellation mic, and isn't to pop the back cover off as suggested.

I also agree that 3 grams is not a concern at all, but they wouldn't be doing their job as a tech blog if they didn't post that kind of info. Now is it worth buying? With a bigger cam, front cam, and higher res screen, then yes, it is perhaps worth it, but i'm going to keep my 3gs for now as I have had zero software problems with it and think 4.0 will run smoothly. Now if 4.0 turns my 3gs into a 3g running 3.0, then I'll definitely be looking at upgrading lol.

My 3G just bit the dust over the weekend...(Spilled beer on it, durrr). I didnt upgrade my 3G to a 3GS to wait for this years model, and i like the looks of it so far. Better camera/flash, front facing camera, 17% bigger battery, higher resolution screen, yes please. Now to just wait the month or two for it, using an old Razr. Ouch.

Not a fan of that design, hopefully it's not final. That kind of metal trim looks nice but often falls apart. I'd much rather see the unibody continue...

Lol, this entire escapade was a genius PR stunt. Really clever and well thought out, plus everyone wins... The consumers get new (accurate) info, Apple gets a bunch of publicity, and Gizmodo gets 4 million page views.

I could be wrong but this is just too perfect to not be a PR stunt. Plus why would you have "XXGB" on the back? Whats the harm in saying 32GB? Just my 2 cents from a former Apple employee. They do this sort of stuff ALL the time, this one was just a little more public.

Lol, this entire escapade was a genius PR stunt. Really clever and well thought out, plus everyone wins... The consumers get new (accurate) info, Apple gets a bunch of publicity, and Gizmodo gets 4 million page views.

I could be wrong but this is just too perfect to not be a PR stunt. Plus why would you have "XXGB" on the back? Whats the harm in saying 32GB? Just my 2 cents from a former Apple employee. They do this sort of stuff ALL the time, this one was just a little more public.

Well, they always have been pretty good and pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. If this truly is the case though, it definitely was executed well, although I have a feeling that the person who "found it" was probably just playing his role. I would think it would leave way to much up to chance if he was just a random passer by.

Now, if it was placed on the bar stool so it could be found and hopefully outed to the public, then someone just made a cool $5000, but I would have held out for more lol.

I agree with you.

I mean, Giz has been banging the Apple drum for god knows how long, it would only be natural for them to be a part of the whole stunt. I mean, supposedly they paid $5k for the unit.

Unless apple wanted to throw Gizmodo a bone I don't see why they'd do this.

They don't need to promote the iphone, they've got their entire consumer base brainwashed into thinking it's the only phone you're ever going to need and they'd sell the new one if they just told people a week before it came out.

Reason for edit: Thought it was 5 figures, but some smart-ass decided to show me up

Was that cause I got my post in before yours? Sorry......

Unless apple wanted to throw Gizmodo a bone I don't see why they'd do this.

They don't need to promote the iphone, they've got their entire consumer base brainwashed into thinking it's the only phone you're ever going to need and they'd sell the new one if they just told people a week before it came out.

Can a company ever have too much hype? They released the iPad and had a software unveiling within 5 days of each other, unless I'm mistaken. With companies like HP and the slate (which is apparently a let down) nipping at their heels, Android gaining a larger fan base daily, and Microsoft pushing out Kin and Win Phone 7, Apple is going to do whatever they can to make sure they not only continue to dominate, but they don't lose any mind share. Think about it, everyone knows a new iPhone is 99% going to be released in June/July. Well, that's 2 months away still. This was the perfect way for them to get 4 days of unheard of attention and hype over a new iPhone. Now everyone who isn't a brainwashed Apple drone has 2 months to tell everyone else about it.

Oh, and here's an article that even better illustrates why they need to promote a new iPhone, and their products, constantly.

Apple has another record quarter posting 3.07b in revenue.

Apple loves hype, they create it very well. I worked at the Apple store during the announcment of the iPhone and its release 6 months later. Someone came in and asked about the phone every hour or so for 6 months. By leaking this, they gain hype without cannibalizing the sales of the 3GS much for the next two months!

Phew im glad some people agree with me. It was so obvious to me when i saw the "3GS case" the 4G was placed in. Thats fishy, even fishy-er that the person who found it seemed to know what he was talking about, in terms of the 4.0 firmware and stuff, yet he didnt realize that their was something wrong with the phone right away.

No matter how good this German beer is i would notice something weird about an iPhone with random barcodes on the back of the case. I also think its safe to say that anyone that can recognize the 4.0 firmware would be in the same boat.

Regardless the phone looks fantastic. I predict it will be announced at WWDC on June 28th and then released on July 9th. The entry level phone will be no more then 199 on a new contract 32gb and 64gb i would assume. Hopefully ATT will let me upgrade my 3GS for 200 bucks.

Did the white iphone sell so badly they got rid of the colored backs?

Oh and sorry for the essay!