Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

My situation was: I wanted a non physical keyboard smartphone. The droid didn't fit the bill. Not what I'm looking for. I kept asking about the incredible. And those were the reaponses given. As someone who is constantly on the Internet on my phone, moreso than a home pc or laptop, I didn't want to charge multiple times a day. They told me it would be a while before they even would get them in, and that's when I was told they were having problems with them. Told em I wasn't interested in anything else there ATM, but did have them run a bill scenario for me just incase.

I do like the EVO4G however where I work offers great discounts through AT&T and Verizon, it would be dumb for me to turn that down.

I still want to mess around with the Incredible. But them telling me that inside the hospital I work at to prepare and charge it multiple times, it just talked me right out of the deal...

Thanks for the info though guys!

My situation was: I wanted a non physical keyboard smartphone. The droid didn't fit the bill. Not what I'm looking for. I kept asking about the incredible. And those were the reaponses given. As someone who is constantly on the Internet on my phone, moreso than a home pc or laptop, I didn't want to charge multiple times a day. They told me it would be a while before they even would get them in, and that's when I was told they were having problems with them. Told em I wasn't interested in anything else there ATM, but did have them run a bill scenario for me just incase.

I do like the EVO4G however where I work offers great discounts through AT&T and Verizon, it would be dumb for me to turn that down.

I still want to mess around with the Incredible. But them telling me that inside the hospital I work at to prepare and charge it multiple times, it just talked me right out of the deal...

Thanks for the info though guys!

With the incredible you don't need multiple charges during the day, or even at all during the day.

My brother works at Verizon as like a store manager or something; he has the incredible. He uses it all the time and shows it off to customers to see what it can do, he gets 2 days on a full charge, while using it for probably 8 hours a day non-stop. There are apps that i think either come with or can be downloaded that can customize what is actually on on your phone. he doesn't even have this activated. if you dont want to use the gps feature? turn it off. have no use for wifi while on a car ride? airplane mode? off. With this I've read you can achieve a solid 3-4 days of browsing and stuff on a battery. The worst battery life I've seen on it was someone who had everything on, who had multiple apps running at once, who was on the thing for the entire day, his battery life was 15-16 hours. Basically that aint going to be happening. And if it does, there are things you can do to allow it to last a full day. The battery thing is over-hyped. PCWorld has some great articles regarding the phone.

You'd be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan if you're currently on it and choose to stay on it.

Hmm.. I was told by an AT&T rep that an "upgrade" is an ending of your existing, and starting a new contract and it wouldn't be an option.

.... The other rumor I've been hearing about the Sprint 4G network is that they are looking to sign a deal to put signal towers on every Walmart in the country. Which could improve the Sprint service drastically.

That'd be sweet..cuz the service in My Wal-Mart..as I'm sure is in a LOT of stores is Horrible at Best. But then again..I live in BFE and am on AT&T.

I think the reason why i'm so biased in regards to the iPhone's usability is the same reason I use only Easton sticks. I like what I currently use and I don't like change, anything different is foreign and weird. So hence whenever I try a non iOS based product i'm left missing my iPhone. The EVO is a great phone hardware wise, but I would never consider using anything on the Sprint network. It's so bad in my area!

Race, all the flagship phones are good and I think you should get the one that you can get the best deal on and has the best service in the area. Because chances are you will be happy with either the incredible, iPhone or EVO!

Oh and thanks for the info Rustpot. You learn something new everyday!

A slight update on the iPhone tethering I was talking about earlier. I am very pissed, but not surprised at the situation.

To use the tethering function without jail breaking your phone you will have to change your data plan to the 2gb monthly plan. Ontop of that normal data charge, you will be charged another $20 a month for the ability to tether. The biggest issue? That extra $20 a month does not add any extra data. Absolutely ludicrous.

Just saw this thread now. I gotta say, If you're going the smartphone/touchscreen route, getting an Android based OS is the way to go. The iPhone is great, but it is SO limited as to what it can do. Any and all apps for the iPhone must be created using apple computers and must be approved by apple before hitting the market. I have the Moto Droid, and have a number of off-market apps that are phenomonal. Someone mentioned tethering, which I assume is running your computer off of your 3g network. Easily done on my Verizon Droid with no worries about $. Can also use my Droid as a wireless hotspot if I wish. But the biggest reason for me, to choose an Android over an Apple, is the updating of the OS. Android released their 2.2 Froyo OS recently, and while not technically available on my Droid yet, I was able to EASILY (Im no techie by any means) hack my phone and upgrade my OS. The preformace upgrade is unreal. The ability to modify and customize the Andorid phones is one of my favoite aspects. So what im trying to say is, you can do almost anything you want with an Android, with the iPhone, you can do only what apple will ALLOW you to do.

And as for people who are looking to get a new phone soon, wait till July and get the Droid X. The thing is unreal.

i gave in finally and got the htc evo 4g from sprint - mainly because their data is still unlimited

i have to say so far i am very impressed - its as good or better than the iphone, especially in the tech specs like camera, 4g, screen size etc..

i gave in finally and got the htc evo 4g from sprint - mainly because their data is still unlimited

i have to say so far i am very impressed - its as good or better than the iphone, especially in the tech specs like camera, 4g, screen size etc..

I have heard that phone is amazing.

Finally got a chance to see the droid incredible today. I was very impressed. Loved the ui. The htc sense interface was amazing. I think I am getting bored with my iPhone 3g, so the incredible really stands out to me.

Also got to see the evo4g, nice but seemed bulky for my taste. Droid was nice but I don't want a physical keyboard.

Definitely like the 'Sense' overlay. Much more so than 'motoblur'. I think that rules out the new droid 2 and droidX for me. The Incredible has a very real probability of replacing my iPhone, and freeing me from apple...

My love of blackberry messenger is pretty much the only thing keeping me from picking up this phone. I'd even put up with it being touch screen.

Finally got a chance to see the droid incredible today. I was very impressed. Loved the ui. The htc sense interface was amazing. I think I am getting bored with my iPhone 3g, so the incredible really stands out to me.

Also got to see the evo4g, nice but seemed bulky for my taste. Droid was nice but I don't want a physical keyboard.

Definitely like the 'Sense' overlay. Much more so than 'motoblur'. I think that rules out the new droid 2 and droidX for me. The Incredible has a very real probability of replacing my iPhone, and freeing me from apple...

I'm on the incredible right now on msh. It's very smooth on this site if it will sway your mind. Ha. I actually just got it today and so far am in love with it. The key board while I hated at first is awesome. It's hard to type if you try to get every letter exact, but if you go fast it is almost as fast as a keyboard.

once android 2.2 comes out i have a feeling i will like the evo even more (if that's possible)

the only other thing that could make this phone better would be if i could get verizon - but honestly sprint has improved alot since i have last used them - in the places i have traveled so far sprints signal was as good or better than at&t (which was who i switched from). But i would imagine at&t has better signal overall in the US.

once android 2.2 comes out i have a feeling i will like the evo even more (if that's possible)

the only other thing that could make this phone better would be if i could get verizon - but honestly sprint has improved alot since i have last used them - in the places i have traveled so far sprints signal was as good or better than at&t (which was who i switched from). But i would imagine at&t has better signal overall in the US.

I use Sprint they are LEAGUESSSS better than what they used to be. As long as I am in a well populated area I get full signal and in the backwoods of Texas I still get decent reception.

The Droid X has the ability to turn MOTOBLUR off, I believe.

If you're looking for Droid information, I use this site religiously. The guys on the site are geniuses when it comes to Android, but specifically the Droid family.

www.droid-life.com

The Droid X has the ability to turn MOTOBLUR off, I believe.

If you're looking for Droid information, I use this site religiously. The guys on the site are geniuses when it comes to Android, but specifically the Droid family.

www.droid-life.com

Mydroidworld.com

If your a techie this is the site for you. I upgraded my OS. Trying to upgrade my kernals soon too.

I was able to EASILY (Im no techie by any means) hack my phone and upgrade my OS. The preformace upgrade is unreal. The ability to modify and customize the Andorid phones is one of my favoite aspects. So what im trying to say is, you can do almost anything you want with an Android, with the iPhone, you can do only what apple will ALLOW you to do.

So you can easily "hack" your Android to upgrade to Froyo, but cant plug a iPhone into the computer and run Blackra1n for 5seconds to jailbreak it?

Do you have a 4G signal in your area? My buddy gets it in patches here in Boston... the thing screams when he gets 4G. We were watching World Cup games online, then boom- 4G went out. It's like someone is messing with us.

havent been able to pick up 4g so far - i think its only available in a few major cities right now - but next time i go to downtown pittsburgh ill have to see if i can

Well thats because apple sucks. (no offens) Ive Dled custome ROMs and everything. What you see is what you get with Apple. With Android you can do pretty much whatever you like.

So you can easily "hack" your Android to upgrade to Froyo, but cant plug a iPhone into the computer and run Blackra1n for 5seconds to jailbreak it?